Too many subwoofers?

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Okay, so I really have gotten lucky lately!

I recently bought a pair of 12" Adire Audio Shiva MKIV's for $70 (that's total, not each). I bought these because it was a great deal and I the Velodyne CT-150 that I was looking to buy had already sold. Or so I thought.

It turns out I now am going to have a Velodyne CT-150 (review posted here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_6_3/velodyne-ct-150-subwoofer.html) and two 12" Shiva's.

I was planning on making my own sub out of the Shiva's (or my own two subs :D ). However, now my question is: do I have too many subs?

I think I will still end up making at least one DIY sub and see how it sounds. I may just use it for music or give it to one of my buddies (but only if they are really nive to me).

Anybody got any suggestions as to what I should do? I am really stunned at the moment because I am med student and I am not at all used to having too much of a good thing :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
There's never too much bass. Call up PE in Dayton, Ohio, and they can tell you the correct size box to build to power your dual Shiva's. It's going to be large - probably similar to a SVS Plus/2 box. You can pick up a Dayton 300-808 plate amp, or buy a separate Crown class H amp (but you'll need a parametric eq with the separate amp).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can also just check directly with Adire. They will likely already have a couple of choices of recommended designs for you to use for the Shiva, possibly even one for a dual config. Then check out PE for an amp :)

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions. I may just build a single sub and possibly sell one of the drivers so that I can afford a decent amp for the other driver.

I will have to see how the CT-150 performs with music and then decide if I want to put the Shiva in a sealed enclosure that will probably be tighter with music. However, from the reviews I have read it looks like the CT-150 is a good all around performer, so in the end I may just use the Shiva to enchance the lower end a bit.

Hopefully I can find some way to get the Shiva to have a good response slightly below 20Hz. I have been reading up on it and it seems like if I configure an LT circuit once I have the driver, amp, and enclosure all finished I may be able to get the Shiva to play cleanly all the way down to 16Hz. I won't be doing this for a while because I am in the process of building a center channel and I still have to do the measurements on all the drivers. Anyway, I will update this post when I am ready to actually start making some headway with the sub project.

Thanks again for the advice.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
it's unpossible to have too many subs!!! But if you feel you have too many, feel free to send one my way, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis