H

hifilodo

Audiophyte
I tried this topic under a different thread, but committed the cardinal sin of mentioning cost. No replies. Disregarding cost, what are the options available in today's home theater technology to allow me to not have to flip through a couple hundred CD's every time I want to listen to one? What electronic storage media options are available that will maintain the integrity of the original recordings while allowing me to select my listening choice from an on-screen menu?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

What you want is an "audio server," which is a hot topic right now. My idea would be a PC based solution, probably a RAID sytem with several big HDs. You could probably even set up 2 scuzzi & 2 SATA drives on a regular Intel board. The interface is the tricky part.

There was a discussion over at Audiocircle.com concerning this awhile back. I know there are better resources for PC based rigs, but I'm not an expert.

BTW, what you propose is something I've been researching in my spare time for about a year, and I'd like to implement just such a system.

H

hifilodo

Audiophyte
Rob,
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the audio server market is just beginning to develop. It seems like the next logical step. We now have MP3 players that can store and playback thousands of songs. Why not a WAV player? I don't think I am ready to buy a separate computer with a large hard drive to try to configure to interface with my stereo just yet. Are there any systems that have been developed for mobile DJ's that use the WAV format? It only makes sense that professionals with huge collections of music would need such a device.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I use my computer, Apple's iTunes, and an external 160GB USB 2.0 Hard drive. This configuration works great for me. I also use a ATI RF remote to change songs from anywhere in my HT room.
iTunes uses a newer compression codec called AAC which is superior to MP3 encoding. I don't really think there is an option for keeping 200 cds in the WAV format. I am currently using 11GB (approx. 2500 songs) on my hard drive so there is plenty of room for anything else I may want to add.
You can easily build a good computer for this w/o spending near what you would on these Audio Servers.

:cool:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

What you describe probably exists- I've seen very affordable (ie $250) units that contain a single 80 Gig HD, so something larger might exist. 80 GB wouldn't hold much music if you use wav files, but it's still probably about 140 CDs.

One way to get by with less HD space without hurting SQ is with lossless compression. APE is one such format- it gives 2/1 compression while retaining bit-perfect accuracy. I'm sure there's a lot of other formats, too.

The music server is new as a concept to the average audiophool, but a certain segment of gearhead has been doing this for years. I don't hang much in computer circles, but I understand it's become quite refined. It's probably 2 or 3 years away from really being mainstream, although I've at least connected a PC to 3 different audio systems. In fact, I helped my folks to rip all their stuff to MP3 and connected the PC to their modest stereo rig and that's all they use! They hate to bother loading the CD player when all their stuff is at their fingertips on the computer. And this is with nothing fancier than Windows Media Player & Music Match Jukebox.

When you see the Uber-Receivers from Denon, Yammie & Pioneer, as well as the advanced DSP & room correction they offer, you realize that the lines between computers & audio gear are blurring. The DSP chips in some of those receivers run at speeds that a PC wouldn't have dreamed of 5 years ago. When you consider Tivo & webprogrammable recording, the line gets fuzzier still. I think convergence of this type will lead to the logical point of having essentially audio/video computers in our systems. Add digital amps and computers will be our systems.

If that happens one day, I hope it's got a better OS than Windows! :)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

This is too small to hold your collection, but it's an example of a new product catagory that'll likely gain popularity as time goes on.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
But...but...you can't paint the edges green! Or spray it with magic potions! Or...or...stick damping materials on them!! What's an audiophile to do?? :eek:

I have to admit that the Old Curmudgeon in me thought "What's wrong with these lazy kids nowadays that it's too much trouble to look through some CD's? Why, in my day we had to hand-cut our own grooves in lacquer discs..." But if the convergence of the computer and audio systems means no more shelves full of plastic, and a single technically robust and audibly transparent encoding standard, bring it on! But like the man said, I hope it don't run in Windoze.

For now, I gotta get me an iPod one 'a' these days...

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Wes Phillips wrote an interesting article about the future of audio being shuffle. He basically asserts that being able to freely access any song or track in any CD of any genre allows a freewheeling spontaneity & the ability to juxtuposition genres really opens your mind up musically. Bach, then Johnny Cash, followed by Stone Temple Pilots? NO problem!

Just imagine, you're having a few brews with some buddies, listening to a song. You get to talking and someone mentions another song, which you instantaneously can play. That reminds you of another song, maybe in another genre- but you can play that instantly, too. I think it's more about convenience & interactivity than simply being lazy.

And think of the organizational advantages. It'd be like a giant jukebox that could tell you how to find what you're looking for. Imagine a database where you could enter the first line of the lyrics to a song who's name you couldn't recall & having the PC call it up. Or search by year, genre, artist, etc.

Not to mention that as the technology gets slicker, we might get better sound. A PC solution can pretty nearly eliminate jitter completely, for one thing. And just imagine a system set up to play each song from a memory buffer? A 1 GB DDR stick would hold more than a whole CD, with no moving parts, no transport noise or vibration or speed variations...Pretty interesting stuff.

H

hifilodo

Audiophyte
I couldn't agree more Rob. Due to space limitations, I recently put my CD's in wallets. It makes it that much more difficult to really enjoy them. First I have to find the right wallet and then flip through to the right CD. Once the thing is removed, it has none of the old jewel case experience going for it. The cover and liner notes are stuck in the wallet. The search is on again when it is time to put it away. And the naked liner notes, once outside of the wallet, run the risk of being misplaced by my kids if I don't put them away fast enough.

I don't think the first generation of these jukebox type devices even needs to be a traditional computer running Windows or Mac OS. It could have a CD drive to record from and a hard drive to record to. It would need a processor and a few other components, but it could make use of the TV screen as the interface. I don't know programming, but it would seem that a program much simpler than what is used as operating systems on personal computers could handle the job of recording the music in a bit-acurate format and then sending a digital signal to the receiver for amplification. Once the idea cought on, CD makers could record the album cover pics and liner notes onto the CD so that they could be displayed on screen.

I can't help but think of the commercial where the guy is in a diner in the middle of nowhere and the waitress informs him that the jukebox has every song ever recorded. The future will be cool!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There's a bar in town here that has a mega-cool jukebox. It's about the size of a pay phone, has a ton of songs on a harddrive & features a touchscreen panel on the front that allows you to browse by letter, genre, etc. It's easy to program and besides lacking a remote, it's just what a person would want in a server (obviously not ultra hifi, but I'm talking the convenience & execution).

H

hifilodo

Audiophyte
I haven't seen one of those jukeboxes yet, but they make alot of sense. I'm not knocking that previous posting that was nostalgic about the days of vinyl. At times, the overprocessed and less than full spectrum sound of CD's makes me think back fondly to the good old days. On some of those old recordings, the honest presence of the artist is felt in a more personal way.

Thanks for meandering through my server ponderings with me.

T

trancedigital

Digital Media Receivers/Media Hubs

Digital Media Receivers are good if one wants to connect a PC to a home theater system or any stereo so that one can conveniently play songs without having to swap CDs.
Check the following reviews:

"Entertainment Central" By Bill Howard, May 18, 2004, www.pcmag.com
Link:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1579458,00.asp

"Media Receivers"
Give your PC's hard drive a direct link to your home theater or music system
By Michael Antonoff, June 2004, www.soundandvisionmag.com
Link:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=621&page_number=1&preview=

Any comments on this post welcome.
Sam

H

hifilodo

Audiophyte
Thanks for the information. This sounds very do-able. I'm going to do a little reading see if this is something I want to do now or wait until it becomes a little more mainstream. I am glad I posted this thread. I am getting quite an education. Thanks to all who have posted replies.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Yes, the "jukebox" idea is very appealing. Much more so than assembling personal "mixes" on CD or (remember?) cassette. And, for that matter, better than programming a multi-disk player to play selected tracks.

What we need is an audiophile-quality iPod...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis