too good to be true? Theater Research Speakers

D

drsmithsound

Audiophyte
Have any of you had any experience with Theater Research speakers? Your thoughts please.

H

head_unit

Audioholic Intern
Why mess with this funny stuff...

It might be great, then again it might be a total ripoff. Or the company might fold in a month. With so many well regarded, established brands, I tend to say "fuggedaboudit" or wait and see if they're still around next year...

D

djm

Audiophyte
to good to be true

I happen to have a Theater Research Home Theater Package right here in my room. A friend gave them to me because she never opened them. I thought I might try selling them, but after taking a peek in the box I really hated to take someones money. I know deep down they would be better off with a pair of bookshelf/stand speakers such as the Axiom Audio, etc...

Everything is in the box, but the construction and drivers are dirt cheap. The thing they call a subwoofer has no amplifier or crossover. It is just a speaker lever in/out to run the satallites through.

I am sure the speakers will play but I can't imagine the quality being good.

I would suggest spending your money elsewhere.

U

Unregistered

Scam

Hey guys the company does have a web site but you know its a scam when you can only buy these ****ty speakers out of the back of a vehicle in a parking lot. Im thinking the only reason they have a site is so that you can look up a big price so you'll think you got a good deal! The speaker manufacturer sets up a phony company and jacks up the price on a web site to make it look legit but never have an actuall adress. These gutys are not paying taxes and are not selling a high quality speaker! Look at your speaker connections in the back, for God Sakes LOOOOOOK at the quality! SCAM anyways guys her's the site www.trtheaterresearch.com I got ripped 2 bills on the tr1400 out of the back of a van, hey ill admit it was dumb of me but i wont make that mistake again! there's lots of stuff out there on this guys.

U

Unregistered

Theater Research ripoff speakers

This company is apparently selling through an organized scam. Their website is designed to look legit but presents fraudulent info about price, value, quality, etc. Check out ripoffreport.com. Their url for the list of complaints about these speakers is: www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&daterange=6&q5=theater+research&submit2=Search!&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0

I found this all out because I could not find Theater Research listed on Audiogon. So I did a google search and found out about the scam. Finally you can check things out before we buy!! You just have to know to do it!!!

elia0224

Audiophyte
So why the secrecy??

Unregistered said:
I am sorry for all of you who got scammed. I sell these speakers (NOT OUT OF WHITE VANS). Obviously, you know the speakers aren't worth $4,000! However, they don't sound bad. I get a lot of repeat business. I sell them on my website along with a few other brands of speakers. The website is www.speaker-city.com
Speaker-city has these speakers listed for auction on Ebay. A second user, Amirsalam, also has them listed but appears to be actually the same source as Speaker-city because the list of about 3 pages is completely identical. Also, the bidders' identities are kept secret in both these auctions to "protect privacy". Why is it necessary to protect the privacy of people bidding on stereo speakers?? Actually, it isn't. But it does prevent other users from emailing a warning to the bidders.

U

Unregistered

You would be much better off with something from BIC America or Fluance in that price range. These are legitimate companies that are known for there great value and great customer service/support. Obviosuly They have to cut some corners to offer speakers that the prices they do, (ie. 1/2in mdf cabinets, vinyl laminates) but they do not try to pass them off as "high end" or post outrageous msrps to make you think that they are something they are not. However, they will blow any speakers from a home theater in the box package out of the water. Cnet reviewed the $250 5 peice fluance set and it gave it the editors choice award. Anyone else have recomendations for a budget speaker system? Anyone heared of Dogg Digital speakers? Exactly the same as the Theater Research, just a different badge. Even the web sites are identical. Compare DoggDigital.com with the Theater Research website. They also go by other names, paradyme (paradigm knock off) is one that comes to mind. Ive read stories of people openeing the cainets of these chinese import white van speakers to discover that there are no crossovers at all, and some of the drivers are not even connected. This is a total scam. They do not care about satisfying customers, if they did they wouldnt change the compaines name everyweek and provide false business cards and phone numbers.. not to mention.. They wouldnt sell them out of the back of vans and on ebay!

Jim Curtis
Buffalo, Ny

U

Unregistered

If you are as sofisticated (sic) as your spelling, I would take your opinion with a big grain of salt.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
You would have to be deaf dumb and blind!!!

I second that. what a moron. The speakers are a scam. Who sells out of a van?

Typical catch:
I have these speakers they list for so and so.....The warehouse accidently put an extra set for a home delivery and we are trying to unload it before we return. I will give you a great deal on these(pieces of s***. Ha ha morons..............to many suckers out there...

U

Unregistered

I know someone who sells these speakers, and I personally think it's a pretty awful way to make money. Not that lies are uncommon in sales, but I just don't like the sales practices that are used with these things. Anyhow, just for the fun of it, I asked him if I could have a pair that he had laying around to try out and such -- I brought them home, set them up, and was surprised to find that they actually sounded decent. I won't say that I have an impressive audio setup. I don't. I have an onkyo HT system that was given to me, + a couple of axiom bookshelves, also given to me. I think my system sounds fairly nice, though the room is terrible acustically -- it's about the size of a prison cell, and above a 950 square foot basement. Anyways, back to the purpose of the post: I listened to the TR speakers for a bit (TR 1410s) and they sound OK. Not great, not terrible either. Then I went back to the regular setup I use, and my regulars sounded MUCH better than the TRs. This is at a low-mid volume. At higher volumes, my regular system still sounds a bit better than the TRs, but the TRs DO sound much better at high volume than low. Just my personal opinion for anyone who cares to know. I wouldn't really suggest buying these speakers, unless perhaps you have little money, can get them cheap (~250 or less perhaps), and plan on listening to them at higher volumes. If you expect them to provide excellent range, going from thumping bass to a whisper, forget it. I hope my opinion proves useful to someone. Now to go return these to my friend :)

U

Unregistered

The problem with people saying these speakers (Theater Research, Dogg Digital, Paradyme, Audiophile, etc., the "white van" speakers) are good is because these people do not have a reference. They have never heard a set-up that is designed for accurate, quality sound reproduction.

James

U

Unregistered

another victim

These are speakers you get with a componant system from GPX / Kmart / Wal-mart. I just happened to need a set for my garage TV.

Avoid them

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
The speakers are great !! I tested the output with very sofisticated electronic equipment and guess what ... the speaker that people are buying out there from those guys....rate exactly what the company is offering. So, if you bought some, be happy and rock and roll !!!! Note: no GST or TAxes in this deal and that It is great !!!!!
HA HA HA HA!!!! Your a f***ing retard! let me guess, you also used highly scientifik methods too, right? loser.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
The speakers are great !! I tested the output with very sofisticated electronic equipment and guess what ... the speaker that people are buying out there from those guys....rate exactly what the company is offering. So, if you bought some, be happy and rock and roll !!!! Note: no GST or TAxes in this deal and that It is great !!!!!

judging from this boneheads spelling, he works for them...

If you want radio shack speakers, buy them at radio shack!

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
If you have his cell number, it shouldnt be too hard to get ahold of him and come to some sort of, um...agreement.

U

Unregistered

He walks among us!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the man in the white van has a computer too, eh? I got scamed when I was just 18 in college and stupid. I knew when I paid $200 for the speakers, and the guy walked back to his van, he had the nerve to say, "I think I'll ask for more next time." 2 seconds later I hated my self. Those damn white trash white van turd burglars, I have always swore that I would mugg the next guy that tried the scam. So if your reading this . . . watch out.

Unregistered said:
I am sorry for all of you who got scammed. I sell these speakers (NOT OUT OF WHITE VANS). Obviously, you know the speakers aren't worth $4,000! However, they don't sound bad. I get a lot of repeat business. I sell them on my website along with a few other brands of speakers. The website is www.speaker-city.com

U

Unregistered

TR 2810 spkrs-RIPOFF!!!

I just "purchased" these spkrs from the white van guys for $150.00. After taking the spkrs apart I found that there were NO crossovers at all never mind "digital" ones they say are there. The tweeters are absolute junk and so are the 10" woofers. The mids seem to be average. I ended up putting in crossovers and replacing the tweeters and woofers. These spkrs now sound good as compared to what they originally sounded like which was terrible. Total price for everything was 400.00 so I basically paid 150.00 for the cabinets. Unless you want a project don't buy these useless junks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis