Too good of speakers?

• Thread starter wealreadyhaveamember
  • Start date
W

wealreadyhaveamember

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I recently purchased a yahama rxv-2400 (before finding this website, but its nice to see so many people enjoy the model) and am now in the process of buying speakers.  I have been able to get a good deal on some Tannoy Eyris DC1s.  I've noticed that this site regards Tannoy as a respected manufacturer (great).  A sales rep at Tannoy mentioned to me that the Eyris DC speakers don't really shine unless they are connected to a really powerfull amp, and then he mentioned some esoteric high-end amps.  My question is this: Is the rxv-2400 underpowered for such speakers?  Should I get speakers that aren't considered such high-end?  You can find the specs on the speakers at www.tannoy.com.  

P.S. I haven't had a chance to listen to the tannoy's yet as I am still waiting for my local dealer to receive a pair.  However I know the dealer doesn't carry yamaha, so I'm sure I'll be listening to them through a different amp.</font>

austinbirdman

austinbirdman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>While you wait for responses here, I also recommend going to the forum on www.axiom.com for Axiom Audio -- go into Home Theater or Advice (just about anywhere) and put up a post on &quot;Can Yamaha 2400 Power Tannoy Eyris DC1s&quot;? Even though it's a site for another speaker co., you'll get good advice, and there's at least one regular forum member there who owns both Axioms and Tannoys, so he should be able to help you.

Birdman</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Without seeing an impedance/phase plot of their speaker, it is difficult to tell.

Tannoy

I am assuming this is the speaker you are referring too. &nbsp;That being the case, it is 88dB SPL@1 meter sensitive, 8 ohm nominal load, doesn't seem too overbearing to drive. &nbsp;

If you are using them as mains in a multichannel set-up, it would probably be best to set them small, and crossover the bass to the sub between (60-100Hz). &nbsp;This will save on amplifier headroom.

You may consider listening to how they sound with the RX-V2400 and later decide to purchase a quality two channel amp. &nbsp;A quality amp need not be expensive or esoteric BTW.

I have powered far more difficult speakers on my RX-V2400 review sample in a moderately large living room with good results. &nbsp;However, this doesn't mean adding a &quot;high quality&quot; amp wont make things sound even better.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Tannoys are quite good but just to be sure you should also listen to other speakers and see if you like their sound, speakers like Magnepan, Paradigm, Yamaha NS-555/777 and NS-6/8HX etc.</font>

A

Audioholic

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>why dont you go for B&amp;W'S? a friend o mine has the 2400 with the 600series and they soy great. i've heard the sensys range of tannoy driven by a Argon amp and i cant say that it was something special...But the thing that someone should follow in these cases is : hear them and go for the 1 you like better.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I would like to throw a twist in here. I was sold on B&amp;W and Monitor Audio. Did not have the money to spend, but I did love the sound. Thinking back to my younger years, I loved MB Quart car audio &amp; found that I could get a great deal on their home speakers from Yawa. Now I am not one to advertise, but these speakers sound as good, if not better for a fraction of the cost. Also, not as much power is needed to reach the same db due to the fact that these speakers are 4ohm. They will let you try them for 30 days risk free, and if you do not like, you will not be stuck with sending them back to Canada!(Axiom) I would hate to see that bill! Also, you get the FULL 5 year warranty!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hmmmm, I thought 4 ohm impedence speakers require more power to drive than 6 or 8 ohm speakers...is that not the case?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>When you put a 6ohm speaker on an amp rated @8ohms, you increase the output of that amp by about roughly 20%. When you put 4ohm speakers on that amp, it will increase about 40%. These are very rough estimates due to the fact that most speakers do not stay at a constant ohm level. These are just general rules that I apply when choosing the size of the amp to go with said speakers. I like to go a little above rated power of the speakers, using the formula above, to make sure I have plenty of power to spare due to the fact that the amp itself will work harder every time you drop the ohm load. If you look around on this site you will find a lot of helpful information on this subject. Just be sure the amp can handle the load in the specs. Most all of the amps and receivers mentioned on this site can. In the specs, it would be listed dynamic power output and be broken down like 8ohm,6ohm,4ohm,2ohm with the power by each.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
wealreadyhaveamember : <font color='#000000'>I recently purchased a yahama rxv-2400 (before finding this website, but its nice to see so many people enjoy the model) and am now in the process of buying speakers.  I have been able to get a good deal on some Tannoy Eyris DC1s.  I've noticed that this site regards Tannoy as a respected manufacturer (great).  A sales rep at Tannoy mentioned to me that the Eyris DC speakers don't really shine unless they are connected to a really powerfull amp, and then he mentioned some esoteric high-end amps.  My question is this: Is the rxv-2400 underpowered for such speakers?  Should I get speakers that aren't considered such high-end?  You can find the specs on the speakers at www.tannoy.com.  

P.S. I haven't had a chance to listen to the tannoy's yet as I am still waiting for my local dealer to receive a pair.  However I know the dealer doesn't carry yamaha, so I'm sure I'll be listening to them through a different amp.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Why not ask the dealer if you could bring in your receiver to see what the speakers sound like connected to it? &nbsp;In my days as an audio salesman, I did this all the time for customers and it usually resulted in a sale.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis