TiVo Officially Launches Netflix Streaming

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Holy Crap! Netflix is taking over the world. Good stuff though!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Tivo has become pretty much irrelevant these days due to DVR offered by cable companies. Most HD boxes don't work with Tivo units, and Tivo has been losing subscribers for the past couple years now. It's a nice channel for NEtflix to reach, but this is really isn't that big of a deal.

On a tangent- Tivo is going to turn into one of the greatest business case studies in history. There are very few companies whose name can be come synonymous with an activity (which will continue long after it's gone), yet never make a dime in profits and almost totally flame out in a period of less than 7 years.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I still prefer the flexabilty w/ tivo over the comcast or other options. If tru- way takes off and on-demand content could be offered, it will help. The cable cards work well for me at this time but would prefer to have the full range of services offered:(

Senior Audioholic
Tivo has become pretty much irrelevant these days due to DVR offered by cable companies. Most HD boxes don't work with Tivo units, and Tivo has been losing subscribers for the past couple years now. It's a nice channel for NEtflix to reach, but this is really isn't that big of a deal.
You don't need a cable box at all box if you have an HD-Tivo. My HD-Tivo while my have been a large purchase is lifetime subscribed. No monthly fees and my cable bill dropped by $14 a month. Considering what is is saving me it will have paid for it's self a about two years, besides I like owning things not renting.

But you are right about it not being that big of deal, but it almost makes me want to get a Netflix account, almost...

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

You don't need a cable box at all box if you have an HD-Tivo. My HD-Tivo while my have been a large purchase is lifetime subscribed. No monthly fees and my cable bill dropped by $14 a month. Considering what is is saving me it will have paid for it's self a about two years, besides I like owning things not renting.
Doesn't that depend on your cable company? My understanding was that most cable companies would not interface directly with the Tivo.

Senior Audioholic
Doesn't that depend on your cable company? My understanding was that most cable companies would not interface directly with the Tivo.
I believe they are mandated to provide cablecards for OCAP compatible user owned equipment.

I have Comcast cable TV service and they had no problem giving me a cablecard for my Tivo-HD.

strube

strube

I believe they are mandated to provide cablecards for OCAP compatible user owned equipment.
I wish someone would tell Bresnan Communications that. They seem like they don't even know what cable cards are...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis