TiVO ends liftime subscription

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
TiVO ends lifetime subscription

This puts the cable card series 3 in a new light. The only way to get a series 3 with lifetime will be with a lifetime sub gift card(no longer available) or a grandfathered series 1 with lifetime active before Jan 2000.

More detailed info at tivo community forum. Some steamed up folks over there.

Last edited:
jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
Upside...

The upside to the new Tivo pricing scheme is that you can now get into Tivo for no up-front cost. Basically, agree to a contract (similar to a cell phone service) for one, two, or three years and get an 80-hour Tivo free. The subscription length determines the monthly charge, ranging from $16.95 - $19.95. I hope this helps more people get into Tivo. It's a fantastic product but the up-front cost may have scared some people away.

Here is a link that will explain the new plan in great detail: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=290723

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
You can spray perfume on a cowpie it's still a cowpie.

The fact remains the best value has been removed from the price structure. How is aprox 470 every three years better than a one time cost?

I've had my series 2 for about two years and I just pulled ahead of the 12.95/month cost and TiVO used my money for two years.

I know TiVO is the best but if the only DVR you've had was a comcast or dish non TiVO for only 5 bucks more than a cable box(that the SA TiVO needs anyway for digital cable) I don't think any one will know how good TiVO is.

Tivo is better but is it 10 bucks/mo better than a moto 6412? Like someone said on tivocommunity "...if TiVO is an A+ the moto box is a solid B..." and I have to agree.

I was a sure thing on a series3 now my 6412 might be good enough.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
ironlung said:
How is aprox 470 every three years better than a one time cost?
My point is that many people can't afford the up-front cost that was required to simply get the box ($199 for 40-hour Series2, even if $150 comes back in 6-8 weeks). Even the folks that can gather up $200, paying for a lifetime subscription is out of the question so there is still the monthly cost.

I don't think anyone disagrees that Tivo is a superior product and it should be relatively easy to justify $10 extra a month. What wasn't easy to justify was the $200 up-front. Now, those people can get an 80-hour Tivo free.

It would be better for all Tivo lovers if Tivo could secure more subscribers and become financially stable.

Senior Audioholic
Tivo just lost my business. We were waiting for an HD Tivo to come out since we just love our good old Series 1 Tivo with its lifetime subscription.

Well screw them, why would I pay $20 a month when I can get an HD-DVR from Comcast for $10 a month and no contract.

Tivo just signed their own death warrent. I give them 5 years tops and Tivo will become one of them "Remeber the Tivo?, Boy they shure slit their own throat" stories.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
10010011 said:
...why would I pay $20 a month when I can get an HD-DVR from Comcast for $10 a month and no contract...
I suppose the only reason you would is because you know they have a superior product, both from a hardware and a user interface standpoint. The lack of an HD-capable box is hurting them, sure, but that should be rectified by the end of this year (with a light-years ahead superior product).

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Make lifetime $500

JC,

Where does it stop? Is it worth 15...20...113.50 dollars more PER MONTH. It could be the best DVR ever there is a point where it's not worth it. We are just talking about recording TV right?

I think alot of people feel like 10010011. People are going to go the cheaper HD DVR routes. If the moto 6412 was your first DVR your more than happy. My step dad just setup a 6412 and is pleased as punch. He has no idea of the ways that TiVO is better. The things that chap my a$$ about the 6412 he does not realise because he has no TiVO to compare with. He will pass right by the $20/month(maybe even laugh at it)without any consideration better or not. How good is that for TiVO?

Not gonna be a series 4,
Ironlung

P.S. Cool avatar but I thought the melon helmet cat was way better JMO.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
Ironlung, you make excellent points. It's tough to argue :rolleyes: .

And, you are absolutely right about there being a threshold, after which is isn't worth it to spend the extra money no matter how much better Tivo is. I just hope that the no-up-front costs model lure more people to Tivo than get taken away by the removal of the lifetime subscriptions. I really like Tivo and I would like to see them succeed. Maybe all this talk about how people are upset in countless forums will push them to bring it back.

ironlung said:
P.S. Cool avatar but I thought the melon helmet cat was way better JMO.
LOL...I like that cat pic too...maybe I'll change it back. I changed it because I'm new here and wanted something a little more serious and edgy.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
Lifetime Subscription Extended...

FYI - Tivo has extended the lifetime subscriptions until April 15. Check out this blog thread for more information.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis