Tips for limiting rattles and vibrations

K

kev31.kb

Enthusiast
What's going on everyone. Hope all is well. Was curious if any of you have any tips on helping with rattles and vibrations in a home theater. I've already used some of the "blue tac" behind wall decorations and honestly for not being a professional type deal it has worked well. The biggest rattle/vibration is coming from my 100 inch projection screen. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do about that. The screen is a full metal frame and has a pretty fierce rattle when the bass hits. I'm not unrealistic, I understand there may be some rattle but I'm getting a little to much. The screen sits about an inch off the wall. Is there any type of material that I can place behind the screen to dampen the vibration. It seems that the screen is the main source of vibration. Thanks people!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What's going on everyone. Hope all is well. Was curious if any of you have any tips on helping with rattles and vibrations in a home theater. I've already used some of the "blue tac" behind wall decorations and honestly for not being a professional type deal it has worked well. The biggest rattle/vibration is coming from my 100 inch projection screen. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do about that. The screen is a full metal frame and has a pretty fierce rattle when the bass hits. I'm not unrealistic, I understand there may be some rattle but I'm getting a little to much. The screen sits about an inch off the wall. Is there any type of material that I can place behind the screen to dampen the vibration. It seems that the screen is the main source of vibration. Thanks people!

If you use frequency-specific testing, someone WILL be annoyed by it unless they're interested in helping and even then, it can be annoying. If the frequencies seem random but restricted to the screen, it should be pretty easy to isolate the cause. The only parts of the screen that will make noise are where one part (the one that attaches to the wall) contacts the part that attaches to another unless someone on one part is loose.

I use a smart phone app that can generate various tones, warbles, pink/white noise and frequency sweeps. I listen to music to get an idea of whether it's deep bass, mid-bass or mid-range and set the sweep accordingly. You might start with 20Hz-300Hz and if you see that nothing is happening at the extremes, you can narrow the sweep's range and the one I use shows the frequency at the time- it's called 'Tone Generator Ultra'. Once it hits the range that causes the rattles & buzzes, listen for the location- this is where it gets weird and some will seem to come from one part of the room, even though there's nothing in that place that can rattle. If it turns out to be the contact points where metal meets metal, put some Blue Tac on those points and keep going until it stops.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

How is the frame attached to the wall? Do you only have a spacer and anchor at each corner? If so, that is likely supplying the tension and causing the frame to resonate.

Re-evalutate your installation, and see where you can add more spacers to relieve that tension - does the frame even need to be an inch off the wall?

K

kev31.kb

Enthusiast
Make a lot of sense thank you both...so I now see what's going on. The way the screen hangs on the wall is by screwing mounting screws into the wall studs. It then affixes to the wall by 4 points of contact. There are 4 bracket with keyhole style mounting holes so basically its 4 metal brackets resting on 4 metal screws. Not entirely sure how I'm going to remedy that. I feel like the metal on metal contact would go right through the Blue Tac. Maybe some type of rubber stopper?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
These pads have worked well for me in situations where I am wanting to provide cushioning assuming there is a place to stick them on the back of your projection screen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHNIKHC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMJ3S2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OTNGPQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can also use felt pads.
Much depends on the magnitude of the forces involved.

As far as rattles at the screws, the weight of the screen probably prevents vertical vibrations.
If you screws are solidly in studs, I would look to wedge something between the frame and the wall. I don't know how sturdy your frame is, but Ideally the wedges would be close to where the screws are so the frame doesn't bend, but far enough away to allow the frame to flex just a touch to maintain forces between the frame and the screw. If your frame is rigid, you can go farther from the screws. If it is frail and subject to getting bent, stay close to the screws.

I hope that makes some sense to you!

K

kev31.kb

Enthusiast
These pads have worked well for me in situations where I am wanting to provide cushioning assuming there is a place to stick them on the back of your projection screen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHNIKHC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMJ3S2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OTNGPQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can also use felt pads.
Much depends on the magnitude of the forces involved.

As far as rattles at the screws, the weight of the screen probably prevents vertical vibrations.
If you screws are solidly in studs, I would look to wedge something between the frame and the wall. I don't know how sturdy your frame is, but Ideally the wedges would be close to where the screws are so the frame doesn't bend, but far enough away to allow the frame to flex just a touch to maintain forces between the frame and the screw. If your frame is rigid, you can go farther from the screws. If it is frail and subject to getting bent, stay close to the screws.

I hope that makes some sense to you!
Thanks awesome suggestion...never thought of that...payday cant come soon enough! Haha

highfigh

highfigh

Make a lot of sense thank you both...so I now see what's going on. The way the screen hangs on the wall is by screwing mounting screws into the wall studs. It then affixes to the wall by 4 points of contact. There are 4 bracket with keyhole style mounting holes so basically its 4 metal brackets resting on 4 metal screws. Not entirely sure how I'm going to remedy that. I feel like the metal on metal contact would go right through the Blue Tac. Maybe some type of rubber stopper?

Anything that's elastic will dampen the vibration- even paper or tape between the metal parts will make a difference.

I forgot to ask- what's the brand and part number of the screen and are your speakers in the wall behind it?

K

kev31.kb

Enthusiast
Anything that's elastic will dampen the vibration- even paper or tape between the metal parts will make a difference.

I forgot to ask- what's the brand and part number of the screen and are your speakers in the wall behind it?
I have a 100 inch silver ticket grey screen. One of the ones from amazon. Which btw is a great screen for the money if anyone is looking for a step up from a DIY. The speakers are not behind the screen. I already had some high density foam cut from a local shop for my dual 12 inch klipsch subs. Did a noticeable difference by isolating them off the floor. Added a little more punch to the bass. But the screen still does rattle a bit...like I said to start, I'm not unrealistic. Its never going to be diminished completely (the wife loves her wall decorations LoL) but I'm gonna do my best to dampen it as much as possible...

highfigh

highfigh

I have a 100 inch silver ticket grey screen. One of the ones from amazon. Which btw is a great screen for the money if anyone is looking for a step up from a DIY. The speakers are not behind the screen. I already had some high density foam cut from a local shop for my dual 12 inch klipsch subs. Did a noticeable difference by isolating them off the floor. Added a little more punch to the bass. But the screen still does rattle a bit...like I said to start, I'm not unrealistic. Its never going to be diminished completely (the wife loves her wall decorations LoL) but I'm gonna do my best to dampen it as much as possible...

Next time it rattles, press on each corner of the screen with one finger (seriously)- your choice for which will be the first. If that doesn't help, move to another corner. If you stop the rattle by pressing at one corner, put a piece of foam behind it, but only enough to provide a little outward pressure.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Don't discount the venerable rubber faucet washer for snubbing screw mounts. Also, the little felt sticky dots used to take the crash out of cabinet doors and such. They can also be hidden behind stainless beauty washers and such. They last a long time, too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis