Tiny, Tiny hiss from Polk Tower tweeter?

Fishboy

Fishboy

Audioholic Intern
Hey folks, Quick question. I hear a very, very small hiss from my tweeters on Polk rti A5s, Is this normal?
I hear it could be the noise floor form the Emotiva Basx700 the speakers are powered from. Like I mentioned I can only hear it faintly when my ear is an inch or two from the tweeter at both high and low volume. If you were sitting a foot away you would not hear it. High quality speaker cable and interconnects are used in the setup as well.
Appreciate the feedback

Fishboy

Fishboy

Audioholic Intern
Thanks again 'lovinthehd' I mean it is a very small hiss, can barely hear it, is a small amount considered normal, do you get a small amount of hiss as well?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

It would be the BasX components generating the noise, or the source component you had selected when you hear the noise.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again 'lovinthehd' I mean it is a very small hiss, can barely hear it, is a small amount considered normal, do you get a small amount of hiss as well?
Not with what I use. Hiss can be an issue for some higher sensitivity speakers with some amps (or even source as Wayne mentions). If you can't hear it at your seat....

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I notice that Emotiva doesn’t even publish a noise spec for the BasX MC700 processor. That’s never a good sign...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I've heard some complain about hiss on other Emotiva amp models...

Fishboy

Fishboy

Audioholic Intern
Source component, like cable, blue ray ect?. No, definitely not at the seating area not even close to that, nor sitting in a chair 1 foot away. inches from my ear on the tweeter i can barely hear it, when i said faint hiss I mean tiny. Just never noticed before, and thanks again for the fedback folks
Derek

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Most likely from the amp, but if you can't hear from 1 ft, don't worry about it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Amp amplifies hiss from other components, meaning everything in the chain will have some level of noise, and the amp will pick it up. Since I don't think most listen a foot or so from their speakers, it should not really be a concern. If you hear it from the listening position, it is an issue. Within a few inches of the speaker, I'd call it relatively normal to hear some level minor level of hiss, especially if you crank the volume up (with nothing playing).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis