Time to Upgrade receiver?

R

Rustang351c

Enthusiast
Current Setup:
basic HP PC (run by 5G cell hotspot (@65Mbps)) >>>> 15 y/o Onkyo TX-SR605 >>>> Samsung Q70R 4k / older SVS 5.1spkrs

Everything work fine now. Just wondering if I up grade to newer receiver, will it improve the picture any?
The netflix / streaming browsers say I'm @720p? Do most newer receivers have Upscaling, or Do I have to buy something like Denon avr-x6700h? $1700

I would love up-to-date connectivity & add Atmos, but if a newer receiver isn't going to look / sound any better than the Onkyo TX-SR605, i'd prob wait.

Thanks for any feedback!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
A newer receiver equipped with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and 4K HDR capabilities will be an improvement in audio and video compared to the aging Onkyo. You will be able to connect streaming devices that support 4K and Dolby Atmos directly to a new receiver for audio processing and it will pass the 4K HDR video signal to the TV. Currently, getting 4K from streaming devices requires a direct connection to your TV. I don't think the SR605 supported ARC so you are having to use an optical connection for audio from the TV and any devices connected to it. That is fine for 5.1, but Atmos/DD+ from streaming services and devices will require HDMI connections to the TV or receiver when adding height speakers.

R

Rustang351c

Enthusiast
its HDMI from PC, & HDMI 1.3a to TV. no HDR support. I use my TV as a computer monitor.
signal comes from HP PC or phone at this point

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
HDMI 1.3a is obsolete. HDMI 2.1 is the spec of the day. Any device connected to the receiver will be limited to 1080p resolution and SDR. It also doesn’t have the newer Dolby Surround up mixer that replaced all Pro Logic iterations or DTS Neural:X which replaced DTS Neo:6.

What is the model of HD PC? Dors it support 4K over HDMI?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis