just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
hello guys. its been a while, but i'm back. i have been doing extensive reno's to my house, HT wasn't one of them, till now. just got the HT up and running, watched G.I. JOE retaliation. found that my 2 CCS SD12 ported just can't do it.

i am wanting at least 2 18's. box size of about 36x36x18. could go larger depending on its shape.
4 sealed 18's may work. but i don't have any experience with sealed. so idk if i would like them.

the drivers i am so far looking at.
[h=1]Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer[/h]STEREO INTEGRITY HT 18

any other options in this price range ?

i have 2 ep2500's and a DCX2496

you guys have been into this steady, unlike me. and i don't have much time for research. so i am hoping you guys can give me current options.

thanx, boy, i sure am glad to be back...
[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Parts Express recommends a sealed cabinet of 4.18 ft³, or a vented cabinet of 11.79 ft³. Based on those two recommended sizes, I think they meant this driver to be mounted in a sealed cabinet.

A box of 4.18 ft³ becomes a box with interior dimensions of about 19.3" on each side, and 11.79 ft³ becomes about 27.3" on each side. To get those cabinet dimensions in inches, convert ft³ to inch³ and take the cube root.

You can adjust those measurements to suit your needs, as long as you end up with the recommended interior volume. You will also have to account for the volume of the driver itself (PE should tell you what that is), the interior bracing you use in your cabinet, and the outside dimensions of the port vent (if you use one). If you are using ¾" thick sheet lumber to build the cabinet, don't forget to add 1.5" to convert interior dimensions to exterior dimensions.

Most phones and computer operating systems have calculators that readily do that. I don't know if 36×36×18 works or not (exterior or interior dimensions?) but you can do that math

PE suggested a tuning of 16 Hz for the vented cabinet, but they didn't suggest any port dimensions for that. Ask them.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe you should just save up and get the LMS Ultra. You could also do an Axis build PDawg had plans for one from Chris the designer of the Infinity boxes. I'd love to see them built. I don't have the space to do it in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis