THX and the Zen of marketing

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I recently have been looking at the THX website. I found it to be not-so-enlightening. I also recollect a negative comment or two on this board regarding THX certification.

What is the general consensus here? Are speakers with the certification the direct path to Audiophiledom or just a way to keep Lucasarts name in the marketplace?

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I wouldnt buy something because its THX. If it is,fine.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Although I do like the idea of THX certificiation, especially when constructing a large-room "theater". (Minimum performance ratings, yadda yadda).

But many audiophiles will tell you that the performance criteria for THX doesn't really concern themselves with sound quality. especially the surround speakers (THX dictates dipolar instead on monopolar).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
But many audiophiles will tell you that the performance criteria for THX doesn't really concern themselves with sound quality. especially the surround speakers (THX dictates dipolar instead on monopolar).
As usual, 'audiophiles' don't have a clue what they are talking about. THX is all about minimum performance standards and therefore 'sound quality'.

THX does not dictate dipole for the surrounds. Yet another misinterpretation of the facts and one of the reasons there is so much confusion over what THX is and is not. Note also that another myth is that dipoles were recommended to overcome limitations of Dolby Pro Logic.

I'm not going to reiterate all this stuff because its been discussed so many times already. I would suggest reading the THX site, the Dolby site, and search the web for articles and interviews with Tom Holman of THX (see the Pardigm site for one). After you've ingested all the FACTS, then make up your own mind on whether or not THX has any value for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis