F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
I have heard a rumor that speakers that are THX select are great for HT but not so good for music...I know your ears don't lie and I need to audition anything I consider...is there any truth to that...What does a THX certified mean???...I am considering the M&K lcr 750's..long story but they fit in my house and can bolt to the stand...my daughter almost dumped my Dynaudio's and my wife says they got to go...funny how life changes..spent my whole life trying to isolate speakers..now my main concern is if they bolt to a stand...OH well...If anyone has any other "bolt on" :eek: speaker models in that range let me know. oh yea the only thing on em is my tears cause I have to sell em.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8770

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
M&K are great for music. They are also pricey. THX Select focuses on timber matching, room set up, and a whole mess of other things ensuring a perfect surround sound effect. THX Ultra II is a newer version. Certified just means Lucas Films has ok'd the product to reproduce their media the way they see fit. They charge a hefty fee to certify products. Many products not certified are as good or better than certified models. Take for instance Onkyo receivers. Almost half their line is certified, but don't compare to many Denon products - which anything below the 4000 models are not THX certified. Use your ears, and demo in your home if possible. Speaker placement and room acoustics will play a huge part in sound. A lot of guys on this site will tell you THX is a gimmic. I personally look for DTS encoded dvd's over THX. I feel they are more dynamic. Here's a few websites you may like to read up on...

www.thx.com/mod/products/chosngProduct.html

www.dtsonline.com/

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
fyrmedic01@hotm said:
...I know your ears don't lie

Just a comment. Your peceptions can and do mislead, from time to time and you will never know when this happens. It is bias and human nature. No different from other senses misleading you from time to time.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
THX not a gimmick

Youv'e got to seperate out what THX is intended to do vs what you want to listen to.

THX is intended to make sure that what you hear at home relates in a meaningful way to what you would hear at the theater. It is a set of specs designed to make sure that your home equipment can handle the dynamics of oh, let's say, Star Wars. It deals with such things as dynamic range, correlation of surround, placement and type (monopole/dipole) of speakers etc. It says nothing about what makes a speaker sound good or bad.

dts on the other hand is an encoding scheme only comparable to Dolby Digital. THX supports both Dolby and dts. They are similar to whether you listen to a WAV file or an MP3 on your computer. Says nothing about your sound card or computer speakers.

Lets look at what makes a movie sound good compared to what makes music good.

When watching a movie the things that are important are:
Dialog is clear and understandable.
LFE effects rattle your chair
Surround effects effectively draw you into the scene. (flyovers, rainstorms)
Transition from soft dialog to bombs going off is undistorted.

When listening to music the important items are:
Flat response (20-20K) with minimal coloration so you hear exactly what was recorded.
Imaging to give a good "soundstage".
Dynamic range soft to bombs going off without distortion.

If you compare these two it becomes apparent that the center speaker, surrounds and sub are the important movie speakers while the L/R speakers and to a lesser extent the sub are the important music speakers. Both require excelent dynamic range. Both require broad response.

It seems obvious that a system that's good for music and that has matching capabilities in the center and surround speakers will work equally well for movies with one exception. A flat low end response will possibly be less than required to "rattle your chair". Many subs have a switch to correct this.

The reverse is not always true. A system can be fine for movies but totally inadequate in it's imaging and response curve for music.

So, THX is fine for what it's designed to do. It even helps with non THX gear as manufacturers try to meet most THX specs even if they don't want to pay for certification.

What THX won't do is determine if a system is good for music or if you like what it sounds like. For that you have to listen for yourself.

F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Just a comment. Your peceptions can and do mislead, from time to time and you will never know when this happens. It is bias and human nature. No different from other senses misleading you from time to time.
true...what I ment was I have only done a brief audition of the speakers..I did not select them because of the THX certification..it had more to do with size and the ability to fix to a stand...I need to listen to them more to make a personal decision...I had just been told that THX cert. speakers are more for HT as aposed to 2 channel music...I am looking for a speaker that will do both..but I do listen to alot of music..again my criteria is the ability to fix to a stand that will not come crashing down if my daughter gives em a shake...wall mounting is not a possibility. I would just like info from the forum if what I have been told is the truth.."THX speakers tend to be less musical for two channel listening than others" true or false? :confused:

slow poke thanks for the info..that makes more sense and I do need to listen to those particular speakers again...I am new to the M&K line I know they make High End studio moniters the LCR 750's with the center are there mid range...If anyone has other speaker suggestions to check out let me know :D again I have to be able to fix em to the stand.

Last edited:
S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. Most speakers have a way to wall mount them. What you need is a stand that can attach to the wall mount. This still begs the question of how you're going to keep the whole thing stand and all from being knocked over.

F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
slopoke I agree dynaudio does make a wall mount but the audience 52's are heavy. My thinking was if I could find a decent "lighter weight" speaker that could secure to a stand it might be safer...I am watching her all the time and so far she just likes to shake things...I think my audiophile wannabe days are over for a while..but thats ok I just need to solve this immediate problem...of course If I can't sell my dynaudios it is a mute point..I guess I could put em away untill we watch a movie but that is a real pain.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Trust me on this...

With wee ones running around, if you can hang something on the wall instead of putting it on a stand, you're much, much better off. Kids can topple anything if they put their minds to it and you look away for a split second.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
THX speakers tend to be less musical for two channel listening than others" true or false?

As a blanket statement that is most definitely false. It would be akin to saying '2-way speakers are less musical than 3-way speakers' or 'bookshelf speakers are less musical than floorstanders'.

I suspect that the reason that statement was made is because many THX certified speakers only have response down to 80 Hz. This is because they are intended to be used with a THX certified receiver, with the xover set to 80Hz, and a subwoofer. If you were to use them stand-alone without a sub, then sure you could make the case that they are less musical because you wouldn't get any bass below 80 Hz. But mated with the proper receiver and sub, the musicality to your own ears will depend on the speaker and not the fact that it is THX certified.

F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
I am in negotiations with my wife for wall mounts or in wall...she want's somthing that "looks nice" I have never looked at/for wall mount or in wall speakers...any suggestions from the forum..."anonymous" you are right and I have not been paying attention to the freq response of the speakers.(kinda a big deal I know)..I do have a thx reciever yamaha rx-v1500 and a decent but not great sub..I will check the M&K website.

Last edited:
goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Wall mounting is one of the worst things you can do for acoustics with most speakers. Many stand-mounted speakers have rear ports. Hang 'em on the wall and you're blocking the ports. Even a front-ported or a sealed speaker will sound better away from the wall, imo. (Cup your mouth with your hands and sing or speak to see what effect it has on sound fidelity.) For safety with a child or pet, it seems to me that you need either a bottom-heavy, floor-standing speaker, or very heavy metal, sand-filled stands with the speakers firmly affixed.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
fyrmedic01@hotm said:
slopoke I agree dynaudio does make a wall mount but the audience 52's are heavy. My thinking was if I could find a decent "lighter weight" speaker that could secure to a stand it might be safer...I am watching her all the time and so far she just likes to shake things...
I didn't suggest that you wall mount the speaker but that you find a floor stand that will attach to the wall mount. This leaves you with a much broader set of options on speakers.

"So far" isn't good enough with a kid. Believe me, I've got 16 year olds that knock my speakers over. She will eventually knock the whole thing over, stand and all, unless you make that very very difficult. as someone said earlier sand filled stands.

F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone heard the Energy loudspeakers take system??
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-line.php?id=6

I know that the sound may not be the best..but my wife and both agree that with her curiosity and strength inreasing on wall or in wall is the only option for now..If I have to give up a little sound quality..so be it...I will get my dynaudio floorstanders when I retire...of course I got to sell the current stuff first...nobody is interested so far...On a side note...there has got to be somthing out there that at least sounds decent????(in/on wall) that won't break the bank :D

Last edited:
S

scarecrow

Audioholic Intern
maybe you could just build a barrier around them, there's all sorts of stuff thrown out every day, maybe foam ckn wire screen, or just build a fortress ofboxes with books in them, something like that, or maybe you could take them down when not in use and put them in a large box nearby without unplugging them.

H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
I am using a Denon receiver and M&K speakers. I think it sounds great for both HT and music. M&K's have a flat frequency response so if you have a bad aource they will sound bad. It is true that some speakers will sound good with HT and sound bad with music but I don't experience that with my speakers. When I listen to music(CD, DVD-audio, SACD), I just set the receiver to direct mode and I get clear and clean sound from the speakers.

F

fyrmedic01@hotm

Junior Audioholic
can you tell me what speaker model you are using.

H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
Im using mps-2510p and 5310 subs. You can see this on the pro side of m&k. But, it does not matter if it is pro or consumer because m&K makes excellent speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis