Thoughts on the Axiom EP600 subwoofer?

S

stasik80

Enthusiast
Hello. As a disclaimer, I'm very new to audio and video equipment. I have the opportunity to buy a used Axiom EP-600 subwoofer for $300. I believe it's the v2. This would be paired with a PSB 5 speaker HT setup in an open space with about 4000cft. This would be used primarily for movies. How would this compare to something like a SVS PB-2000? Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks, Stan

Last edited:
S

stasik80

Enthusiast
Thanks. Yes, it's a beast. But given the price I think it might be a reasonably cheap way to get some base for my large space.
I read those reviews. Was hoping to hear from someone that has first hand experience with these.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. Yes, it's a beast. But given the price I think it might be a reasonably cheap way to get some base for my large space.
I read those reviews. Was hoping to hear from someone that has first hand experience with these.
How big is your space? I'm pushing 6000^3 and have a pair of HSU VTF-3 MK5s (price in link is for 2) They're not specced to 10 hz, but I'm flat to 15 hz and they do it with authority. Having 2 vs 1 sub helps a lot with that as far as keeping that response even throughout the room.

S

stasik80

Enthusiast
I have a large space with vaulted ceilings and a kitchen open on the side. I'm guessing around 4.5k cft. Also, one large wall is brick and all the floors are hardwood. Does that change anything?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a large space with vaulted ceilings and a kitchen open on the side. I'm guessing around 4.5k cft. Also, one large wall is brick and all the floors are hardwood. Does that change anything?
That's a good sized area and I think you'd benefit from having a pair of subs. The Axiom looks like an awesome sub, but you can get two VTF-3s for ~the same price with their nicer rosenut finish or a little less for the black finish. Price no object a pair of Axioms would be pretty sweet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Was hoping to hear from someone that has first hand experience with these.
The 2 articles I linked above are hands on from some of the guys here. They show measurements too.

S

stasik80

Enthusiast
That's a good sized area and I think you'd benefit from having a pair of subs. The Axiom looks like an awesome sub, but you can get two VTF-3s for ~the same price with their nicer rosenut finish or a little less for the black finish. Price no object a pair of Axioms would be pretty sweet.
The thing is that I can get it used for $300.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The thing is that I can get it used for $300.
Why are you still sitting there?! Lol

*Edit: I skimmed your post, went straight to Google and looked up the specs on the Axiom. Completely missed you can get it for $300. My bad, sorry! Lol

S

stasik80

Enthusiast
Thats what I was thinking. I wasn't planning on going sun a route but I got a set of 5 PSB Image speakers and the NAD receiver that you replied to in the other thread for $375 in an estate sale. So now I feel like I should not ruin this system with a weak sub-woofer even though I'm about as far from a sound connoisseur as it gets. My daily ear buds cost $2 on Amazon. But I do like gadgets and technology so here I am :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats what I was thinking. I wasn't planning on going sun a route but I got a set of 5 PSB Image speakers and the NAD receiver that you replied to in the other thread for $375 in an estate sale. So now I feel like I should not ruin this system with a weak sub-woofer even though I'm about as far from a sound connoisseur as it gets. My daily ear buds cost $2 on Amazon. But I do like gadgets and technology so here I am :)
Well you're doing a great job finding some nice deals!

I think that sub looks like a great buy and should do the job very nicely for you. When you're ready to set it up we have some tips and tricks for that too. You find a good spot with a good sub like that and it can work in a large room.

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Hello. As a disclaimer, I'm very new to audio and video equipment. I have the opportunity to buy a used Axiom EP-600 subwoofer for $300. I believe it's the v2. This would be paired with a PSB 5 speaker HT setup in an open space with about 4000cft. This would be used primarily for movies. How would this compare to something like a SVS PB-2000? Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks, Stan
Very good deal on those subs!
I search around looking for that deal, hoping to snatch them before you do but, but no luck. lol
I apologize am bit late to post this message, my initial thoughts would be, have the subs tested before you buy them since it is used. But you can always test them after purchase.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Fo sho!!! If that baby works, and is in good shape, it’s worth 300 easily. I remember when they launched that sub. It was one of the better ID subs at the time. Although I would try to find another one to match it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis