Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I was looking at a page full of PSB brand speakers and they seamed very reasonably priced, but I don't have personal experience with any of the models. Does anyone here own, or has anyone here owned them and what do you think?

Here's a link &nbsp;PSB speakers</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I don't own them, but I've spent a lot of time listening to the 5t's, about 2 model from the top of the Image series, as well as the Stratus Bronze i's. &nbsp;The 5t, particularly, has been very critically acclaimed as a best buy and great performer.

Personally, I didn't care all that much for them myself. &nbsp;While I thought they sounded okay, with pretty fair midrange, they are voiced too &quot;darkly&quot; for my tastes. &nbsp;Most of the times I've heard them they were connected to NAD gear, so it could be an issue of synergy. &nbsp;I'd like to give 'em another go since I've heard so much good about them...

If you find the sound to your liking, they are a great deal. &nbsp;I know that yawaonline.com &amp; upscaleaudio.com both have some great prices on factory blems, and both are authorized to sell them, so warranty shouldn't be an issue.</font>

R

RDL

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I currently own a pair of PSB's Stratus Gold i tower speakers. &nbsp;I have to say, I love them. &nbsp;The gold i's have a very smooth midrange, and a generous amount of bass. &nbsp;I find that they image very well, and provide a deep sound stage. &nbsp;The build quality is excellent, and the gold i's look spectacular. &nbsp;I compared them to Energy’s Versitas, Paradigm Reference, and Mirage OM series speakers. &nbsp;For the price, the PSB's take the cake. &nbsp;

One note, make sure that your amplifier has the power that these tower speakers need.</font>

Sweet Spot

Sweet Spot

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I would just like to announce with sheer joy and glee, the purchase of my first item:

Something told me to walk to one of the local HI-Fi stores in my neighborhood today, to check to see if they had any demo models left on a pair of speakers that I had auditioned a few months ago. Just a couple weeks ago, I went into the same store at a different location, and the guy told me they didn't carry the brand anymore. And why ? Because they made shitloads of money off of elitist retards who kept them in business by purchasing the all mighty b0$e ! That really ticked me off.

But I thought, why not give it a shot. So I went in, and asked the nice salesman to check and sure enough...there was ONE more pair..in a different loacation ! So my ENERGY C-3'S shall arrive on Tuesday ! Yippeeee! Oh, and since they're a demo model..they're $350 ! Yay me ! They also have a set of surrounds left there ..and one more at the other location ......Yaaay! AND they have a center for $150 Another demo model ! The total for the entire speaker package will be about $800 something !

Needless to say, I'm quite freekin' excited. Though I don't know if i should hook them up to my current Onkyo receiver...gonna think about that one. Still need speaker cable, line conditioner and stands.

To end my day, I walked with a beautiful woman, had lunch and then bought the following:

1) Interpol album for $9.99
2) The Doors special edition DVD for $10.00
3) The Lord Of The RIngs special Edition 4 DVD set for $31.00

I love treating myself to goodies. And now for the coupe de gras:

A few slices of Pizza bought from &quot;Mikes Pizza&quot; @ 24th and 2nd Ave. Yummy. &nbsp; &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>PSB speakers are among the best values in audio. Paul Barton has been at it a long time, and has learned a few things over the years. The Gold i speaker is really quite good, but, as another poster pointed out, they do gobble up the power, so you'll need a bit of a brute of an amp to &quot;light them up&quot;.

I've listened to the whole line extensively and would buy just about any of them - in fact have bought some as gifts to family members - were I not an estat lover.

If I decide to go back to box speakers, the PSBs, Paradigms, Energys (just about any speaker made in Canada) will be on my short list to audition. All are excellent values. BTW, I am not Canadian, just a Yank.

Cheers, everyone</font>

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rob Babcock : <font color='#000000'>I don't own them, but I've spent a lot of time listening to the 5t's, about 2 model from the top of the Image series, as well as the Stratus Bronze i's. &nbsp;The 5t, particularly, has been very critically acclaimed as a best buy and great performer.

Personally, I didn't care all that much for them myself. &nbsp;While I thought they sounded okay, with pretty fair midrange, they are voiced too &quot;darkly&quot; for my tastes. &nbsp;Most of the times I've heard them they were connected to NAD gear, so it could be an issue of synergy. &nbsp;I'd like to give 'em another go since I've heard so much good about them...

If you find the sound to your liking, they are a great deal. &nbsp;I know that yawaonline.com &amp; upscaleaudio.com both have some great prices on factory blems, and both are authorized to sell them, so warranty shouldn't be an issue.</font>
<font color='#000000'>&quot;Personally, I didn't care all that much for them myself. &nbsp;While I thought they sounded okay, with pretty fair midrange, they are voiced too &quot;darkly&quot; for my tastes. &nbsp;Most of the times I've heard them they were connected to NAD gear, so it could be an issue of synergy. &nbsp;I'd like to give 'em another go since I've heard so much good about them..&quot;

I've heard that response before about the Image 5T's as indicated in the link below.

http://audioreview.com/Main,Sp....rx.aspx

A review of the PSB Image 8c center channel indicates the same thing.

I've heard them running thru a Yamaha and they sounded amazingly detailed with good crisp (not bright sounding) highs, a good presence/midrange, &nbsp;tight low bass and &nbsp;phenomenal &nbsp;depth to the soundstage and imaging. &nbsp;I'm saving my penny for a pair of these.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I'd really like to have another go at listening to them with other associated gear. &nbsp;I've heard a lot of good things about them; maybe my dissappointment with the sound was due to synergistic issues with the amp or perhaps the less-than-optimal rooms I've heard them in. &nbsp;Another thing to consider is that you get used to the voicing of a speaker over time, and maybe it would just be a matter of getting used to them.

Let us know how you like 'em once you get them broken in.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis