Thoughts on KEF in-wall Ci3160RL-THX or Ci4100QL-THX?

J

jprizer

Audiophyte
Thinking of pulling the trigger on new in-wall KEF speaker set-up for home theater:

Center: KEF Ci3160RL-THX
L/R + Rear Surrounds: KEF Ci4100QL-THX

Will be paired with dual SVS subs (PC-4000).

Really curious if anyone has any experience with the KEF in-wall speakers and what they think of them?

Thanks for any feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I’ll keep it short,

small drivers produce small sound.

The larger 8” models, even if they aren’t THX rated would likely provide a better sound and listening experience.

Others may have thoughts on this topic.

I know you won’t find 4” woofers doing the grunt in THX theaters.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I
Thinking of pulling the trigger on new in-wall KEF speaker set-up for home theater:

Really curious if anyone has any experience with the KEF in-wall speakers and what they think of them?

Thanks for any feedback!

Its all about the distance you are sitting from the speakers. A calculator like this can help.

Though THX has done the math via the certification process for you:

Now about these speakers in general: KEF are good. I don’t like not having sealed backs on in wall speakers but it’s not a deal breaker.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks for any feedback!

In wall speakers are a really mixed bag. Most are not loaded, and the sound escapes into the wall space. This is not a good thing and tends to spread the sound all over the house, as well as not producing very good sound.

You did not state how big the space is. Most of these sort of systems do not tolerate much power and if the space is large they are not a lot of use. In addition few have in wall subs, so you still end up with boxes in the room.

My wife insisted on having one in wall system in our house, in the large main living area. I could not talk her out of it, and so I designed an in wall system from the ground up, including an in wall sub which was specified in her request. It is a 3.1 system. All speakers are enclosed. It sounds and measures well and it is potent.

It was a very difficult design, as these systems present a large number of challenges. So unless you absolutely must have an in wall system I would avoid it from current off the shelf offerings. You might want to look at B & W. They have some better thought out in wall offerings.

This was our solution. I'm actually glad my wife pushed me into it, as we actually use the system a lot. I'm pretty sure a day has not passed when we haven't used it.

So I do understand the desire for these systems, it is just that they present a lot of problems from an engineering standpoint.

J

jprizer

Audiophyte
Thank you so much for the detailed responses. I definitely appreciate your time and getting other viewpoints.

Sorry I forgot to include my room size originally. Of course, that would matter. It is 14’W x 18’L x 9’H. One 18’ side is open to the kitchen area, so not a fully enclosed room.

I agree in-walls are not preferred. But if I’m going to get the OK for large dual SVS subs, that’s the trade-off with my wife. No huge floor-standing or on-wall speakers.

[mention]nathan_h [/mention] Those are excellent resources! Based on the THX calculator, I wonder if I would be better off biting the bullet and bumping up to the Ci3160s across the entire front (L/C/R) and just using the Ci4100QLs for surrounds. Would add about $2,400 to the project, which would be tight but doable.

[mention]TLS Guy [/mention] you’ve given me a lot to think about. Maybe I’ll see if I can find somewhere to demo B&Ws in-wall. Might be tricky with COVID, but probably worth a few calls. Did you use B&W for your in-walls?

Still would love any feedback from anyone else who has an in-wall system — especially anyone with KEF experience. Thanks again!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis