thoughts about separates and receivers

audioman00

Audioholic
IS there any advantage or dissadvantage or using a receiver for primary amplification or a pre-amp, amp setup or 'separates' as they are called. Just a question I can never seem to answer myself. I know someone on this site has got some good facts between the two. :confused:

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
A dedicated power amp is capable of delivering more power with less distortion than an AVR. The market for "seperates" is a high dollar market and the manufacturers don't have to cut any corners like a high-volume receiver manufacturer must do

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
That, and the fact that the circuitry should be quieter because you don't have all that stuff in one box, sharing one power supply.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
audioman00 said:
IS there any advantage or dissadvantage or using a receiver for primary amplification or a pre-amp, amp setup or 'separates' as they are called. Just a question I can never seem to answer myself. I know someone on this site has got some good facts between the two. :confused:

Might depend on the speaker loads you are trying to drive, your listening room, and your desire for volume. :)

audioman00

Audioholic
Well, I am replaceing my yamaha AV receiver model RX-V870 (older unit)
with a Sony ES TAE-1000ESD pre amp and a Proton AA-1150 power amp, and I am hoping to gain alot from this set-up, also the sony will enable me to connect my Integra CDP to a digital input on the pre-amp which I think will sound better because of the quality DAC in the sony pre. I hope so anyways :>~ thanks for the advice! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis