Thinking about tower speaker stands

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Are there any negatives to placing tower speakers on 10" or 12" sturdy wooden stands? One tower is somewhat blocked from my seating position by a portion of another chair. The chairs nor speaker can be moved.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Try posting pics so we can actually understand what your layout is, and any specific problems you are 'hearing'.

Based on your speaker distance thread, I am guessing dialogue intelligibility is one such problem.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The chair probably matters less than putting the tweeters above ear level. If you have to raise the speakers, tilt them forward enough to aim the tweeters at the listening position.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Try posting pics so we can actually understand what your layout is, and any specific problems you are 'hearing'.

Based on your speaker distance thread, I am guessing dialogue intelligibility is one such problem.
Here's the image you requested. Thank you for your assistance.
image.jpeg

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Towers are made to perform best on the floor. Raising them will nullify any benefits they have.

Of course, some covered cinder blocks would work well.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Towers are made to perform best on the floor. Raising them will nullify any benefits they have.

Of course, some covered cinder blocks would work well.
Thank you for your comments. They truly helped.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Those towers do appear a bit short, as the tweeter is ideally placed around ear height. However, not only are they close together, but also toed in.

To be clear, are we worried about one seat sounding good, or multiple? Cause I guarantee each seat will hear two speakers, not one like you are supposed to. The goal is one stereo image, not multiple. So if you can listen and pick out each speaker individually, the room layout HAS to be changed. Otherwise a Sound Bar is your best alternative.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you do this, be sure to use foot-pads between the stands and speakers so as to prevent any vibrations from occurring.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Those towers do appear a bit short, as the tweeter is ideally placed around ear height. However, not only are they close together, but also toed in.

To be clear, are we worried about one seat sounding good, or multiple? Cause I guarantee each seat will hear two speakers, not one like you are supposed to. The goal is one stereo image, not multiple. So if you can listen and pick out each speaker individually, the room layout HAS to be changed. Otherwise a Sound Bar is your best alternative.
One seat. I took the photo from the primary seat. Please suggest speaker tweaks for the primary seating position. Remember, the speakers cannot be moved further apart. Thanks for your help.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
One seat. Remember, the speakers cannot be moved further apart. Thanks for your help.
The tweak is to move them further apart.

You may be better off with a Sound Bar solution.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing wrong with risers. Dense packing foam will work just fine and is pretty easy to find. You can use dense wood also and/or tall feet if they happen to be threaded for feet already.

Here's how I did my Pioneer AJs, wich also come with a base:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you were sitting when this pic was taken, I do not see a need to raise them at all. Your tweeter and your woofers are sitting well above the arms of the chair. The distance seperating them is a little tight. I would try and add another two feet between them if possible.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis