Thin for 12 Gauge???

P

pacman74

I ordered this wire last week, and I just received it today. And it’s pretty thin? Compared the monster cable that I have. On the plastic shielding, it does say 12 gauge. But should it be a little thicker. I’m using it to run my rears witch is about 45 feet away from the receiver. The monster cable I bought about four years ago is pretty dam thick. What do you guys think? Has anybody ever used this brand of wire and does it work pretty will. (Sound King.)

I got if from parts expres .com

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
pacman74 said:
I ordered this wire last week, and I just received it today. And it’s pretty thin? Compared the monster cable that I have. On the plastic shielding, it does say 12 gauge. But should it be a little thicker. I’m using it to run my rears witch is about 45 feet away from the receiver. The monster cable I bought about four years ago is pretty dam thick. What do you guys think? Has anybody ever used this brand of wire and does it work pretty will. (Sound King.)

If you have a good measuring tool, calipers perhaps, a 12 ga is about .081" diameter.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Should be right

pacman74 said:

I just checked stock on the item and it is 12 ga. it is the 3 bundle 259 strand count using 36 ga wire strands. :cool: The Monster Stranded Cable uses the same strand count and size; the thicker jacketing might give the illusion that it is larger. Do you remember the part number?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We did a measurement/review on Sound King 12AWG wire and found it to be very good for the money.

This cable did measure to be 12AWG just like the thicker Monster Cable in the review did. The jacket for the Sound King is thinner so it makes the cable appear to be smaller.

I suspect the 10AWG Sound King wire will do even better than the 12AWG but I couldn't get Parts Express to send me a 10ft length to measure. Its odd, I can get $5k speaker cables from exotics to measure but not $20 worth of Zip cord without buying it myself ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gene said:
Its odd, I can get $5k speaker cables from exotics to measure but not $20 worth of Zip cord without buying it myself ;)
If, in the future, from time to time, if you have need for such small donations for the cause, drop me an email ;)

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Cut it out

gene said:
I suspect the 10AWG Sound King wire will do even better than the 12AWG but I couldn't get Parts Express to send me a 10ft length to measure. Its odd, I can get $5k speaker cables from exotics to measure but not $20 worth of Zip cord without buying it myself ;)
Ok, ok, cut it out...I get the point, I'll see what I can do! We are in the middle of catolog production so give me a break :) BTW I missed ya at CEDIA.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis