Thiel SW1 Smart Subwoofer

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I have an opportunity to pick one of these up new, unused in the original box for $425. Any input from you guys? The specs seem impressive but I’m more looking for input from anyone who’s owned or heard one.

1,000-watt RMS amplifier
two 10" front-firing drivers
LFE input frequency response 17-300 Hz (±.5dB)
line-level input frequency response 12-300 Hz (±.5dB)
acoustic output: up to 105dB @ 20Hz, 112dB @ 30Hz
sensitivity 120dB

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Haven't heard one but the price is really good if it's functioning. I'd buy it. If it doesn't rock your world, flip it on ebay and you'd probably make a profit if you have the time.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Given its original (back in 2002) retail price of it nearly $4k (over $6k in 2022 money adjusted for inflation), I'd say $425 I'd say it's one heck of the deal assuming the unit is fully functional. Thiel went out of biz in 2018 so don't expect much service from them.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Appreciate the input guys, I’m going to go ahead and grab it.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
FYI. Crazy.

Holy crap! Man I hope it’s as the seller described it. The pics are of it in a sealed box but he could have re-sealed it. I’m picking it up tomorrow afternoon I’ll let you guys know the outcome

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Holy crap! Man I hope it’s as the seller described it. The pics are of it in a sealed box but he could have re-sealed it. I’m picking it up tomorrow afternoon I’ll let you guys know the outcome
Please do! It looks like a monster.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd test it on-site before handing over the $.....but does sound like a good deal but almost too good a deal considering how many Thiel fans out there....

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So the seller clarified it’s not brand new, as I asked him if he was the original owner and if not knew it’s history. He’s selling it for a “friend” but stated his friend has a large collection of high end gear but isn’t too computer savvy so he’s listing his items for him. I was supposed to check it out last night but he rescheduled for Saturday as apparently he had to run out to NYC for some sort of family emergency. Regardless if this is true or not I told him no money changed hands until I test it and verify it performs as it should and he agreed. If the whole thing is a farce I’m ready to pull the trigger on an SVS SB2000 Pro to complement my existing sealed subs. That being said I really, really, REALLY hope it works and even if it’s used I’m hoping I can use that to leverage a lower price.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
449114FC-429A-49DC-A75D-6BE55C0B45E7.jpeg
7C09FB34-04E7-4F7E-9B82-4A94FC17A327.jpeg
DB773429-17A1-46FE-A295-E27D6B65CA66.jpeg

Picked it up early for at the last minute from the guy’s wife. Works perfectly. It’s built extremely well and the 20-200hz test sweeps I fed it really sounded great!

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
That’s the Thiel’s raw response. No PEQ, No Audyssey MultiEQ-X. Just level calibrated to 85dB.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis