Thiel Goes to Online Sales with Amazon.com

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
World renowned loudspeaker company Thiel Audio has announced that seven models from their award winning lineup have become available through Amazon.com for the US market. These models include the architectural products, bookshelf speakers and subwoofers. The list of Thiel models available on Amazon.com include the PowerPlane 1.2 and HigherPlane 1.2 in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, the revolutionary PowerPoint 1.2 aluminum on-wall/on-ceiling speaker, the DewPoint outdoor speaker, the legendary SCS4 and MCS1 bookshelf/center-channel speakers and new subwoofer product to be unveiled later in 2010.

Discuss "Thiel Goes to Online Sales with Amazon.com" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I guess they figure since Mr. Thiel has passed they would that they would do exactly the sort of thing he would never have gone along with. Next you'll tell me they have started making them in China.:D

G

GordonW

Enthusiast
Oh no... :(

IMHO, IME, this is likely the surest way to kill the Thiel dealer network. Once you allow on-line sales (which, usually, results in on-line deep discounting, possible because on-line dealer have very little overhead, since they don't have demonstration facilities), the brick-and-mortar dealers will find it hard to support the overhead necessary to do proper presentation of the speakers. Which will result in a similar situation, to what many brands are finding themselves, now... all their traditional dealers (with demo rooms) are going away, and the ONLY way you can find anything about them, is by some internet review... which may or may not be by someone who knows what they are talking about. Who would, in sound mind, be willing to spend serious coin on a speaker that they can't demo in person?

Regards,
Gordon.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
IMO, this is what I think. When I hear the name Klipsch, this http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heritage/ is what comes to my mind. That's the only Klipsch that I know. I did own the Cornwalls back in 75, great sounding speakers for the times. They are using highly respected names and cashing on them. Not to trash anybodies brand preferences, take brands like Klipsch, Kef (where is the flat piston driver that put this company on the map?), Mourtand Short, Polk, Altec, JBL, DCM, Schnell and now Thiel, this list could go on and on.. These are well know brands. So why not produce a speaker that costs let say $100.00 to manufacture in China, retail it at 1K and discount it at 50% off, still not a bad profit marging, right? And everybody is making money. And people are getting sucked into this game. I just hate for many of us to be taken for a ride like this, that's why they call it selling out. Thiel is an excellent speaker company and I sure hope they don't go that route.
That's like Nakamichi, Akai and Teak Plasma TV's, what a joke?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It is about time higher end products are made available for online purchase. I would have no trouble purchasing well established high end products such as those by McIntosh, Krell, Thiel, Dynaudio, KEF and yes B&W too:D without demo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis