Thiel CS2 help - midrange driver

K

karlusmagnus

Enthusiast
Looking for a replacement of the midrange driver on my Thiel CS. Talked with Thiel but they have none for the CS2. Anyone have any ideas on a replacement, or if they had a spare?
Thanks.

R

ridikas

Banned
It's a Vifa M10MD-38, 4" midrange. Google/eBay and see if anyone is selling one. You'll have to saw off the lip on one side in order to fit it, just like Thiel did. Further information, none of these drivers were CUSTOM made for older Thiel speakers, regardless of the different claims. Stock Vifa will work 100%.

K

karlusmagnus

Enthusiast
Heard from Madisound (after I contacted distributor for Vifa in USA) that ...
"The M10MD39-08 and MG10MD09-08 are no longer in production. The closest replacement to your speaker would be the 10F/8424G-00. Here is a link to it:

The Madisound Speaker Store

There are some small size differences to be aware of. Your speaker has a 104mm diameter flange and the 10F is 97.5mm diameter. You hole size is fine for the speaker to fit into. I’m afraid I don’t know how well the screw holes will line up. You can use new screw holes if you have to.

The new driver has a woven fiberglass cone and neodymium magnet system. I expect the sound quality to be an improvement over your existing midrange."

So we'll see where we go from here. At least this may help others in the same situation. The Scanspeak is $100 or so.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
"The M10MD39-08 and MG10MD09-08 are no longer in production. The closest replacement to your speaker would be the 10F/8424G-00. Here is a link to it:

There are some small size differences to be aware of. Your speaker has a 104mm diameter flange and the 10F is 97.5mm diameter. You hole size is fine for the speaker to fit into. I’m afraid I don’t know how well the screw holes will line up. You can use new screw holes if you have to.

The new driver has a woven fiberglass cone and neodymium magnet system. I expect the sound quality to be an improvement over your existing midrange."

So we'll see where we go from here. At least this may help others in the same situation. The Scanspeak is $100 or so.
The Thiel Small parameters and sensitivity are quite close. However the acoustic response if the drivers is significantly different, with the Vifa actually being the smoother driver. The scanspeak starts its response rise1 kHz and the Vifa and octave higher. The Vifa has about a I db response dip between 1 and 2k. The scanspeak has about 3 db more output at 1 kHz and about 1.5 to 2db more at 2 kHz, and about 2.5 to 3 db more output at 4 KHz. By 9 kHz their responses are very similar.

The Vifa is a higher Qt driver and rolls off a little lower and maintains output nearly half an octave lower than the Scanspeak.

Since Thiel used first order crossovers, these differences will likely be audible especially in the midband.

I would change one driver first and see how it matches the other original speaker. If the match is close, then go ahead and replace the other driver. If the sound is way off, then he is likely out of luck, unless he can find a driver on eBay.

R

ridikas

Banned

How important are these Thiels to you? Because this Scanspeak will sound nothing like the old Vifa. Personally I would not bother with the wrong midrange. I would either sell the Thiels as broken, or wait for a pair of midranges to show up online. The old Vifas pop up for sale fairly often.

If you sign up here and ask if anyone has a pair, I'm almost certain someone will sell them to you very quickly: Tech Talk Forum

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How important are these Thiels to you? Because this Scanspeak will sound nothing like the old Vifa. Personally I would not bother with the wrong midrange. I would either sell the Thiels as broken, or wait for a pair of midranges to show up online. The old Vifas pop up for sale fairly often.

If you sign up here and ask if anyone has a pair, I'm almost certain someone will sell them to you very quickly: Tech Talk Forum
I think "nothing like" is going a bit far. The drivers have some differences, but are closer than you can usually manage. They will be different though and the ear is very sensitive in the mid band to very minor errors in frequency response.

K

karlusmagnus

Enthusiast
I think "nothing like" is going a bit far. The drivers have some differences, but are closer than you can usually manage. They will be different though and the ear is very sensitive in the mid band to very minor errors in frequency response.
Thanks for the advice and input .. its all helpful. I signed up to Parts Express, and as soon as I am cleared to post a thread, I will ask for the Vifa M10MD-38.
I will try out the Scanspeak. If I notice they are problematic, I won't have lost too much and can resell it or return it, as the case may be.
I like the Thiels so far, but i didn't have much to compare with previously. They are a good entry level so far, I have found.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the advice and input .. its all helpful. I signed up to Parts Express, and as soon as I am cleared to post a thread, I will ask for the Vifa M10MD-38.
I will try out the Scanspeak. If I notice they are problematic, I won't have lost too much and can resell it or return it, as the case may be.
I like the Thiels so far, but i didn't have much to compare with previously. They are a good entry level so far, I have found.
Hi - How were your results? Did scanspeak work out for you?

K

karlusmagnus

Enthusiast
Hi - How were your results? Did scanspeak work out for you?
It worked out pretty well actually. Very happy with the results. Just changed one, and it suits my rather basic needs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis