The Who, Metallica, Linkin Park, NIN...

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I don't know about anyone else but I am wondering if the Who's albums gonna ever come to DVD-A. &nbsp;I am anxiously awaiting the release of Who's Next, and the rest of Metallicas; Ride The Lightning, And Justice For All. &nbsp;Other albums that would be great are Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory and Meteora. &nbsp;Most of all I would love to NIN's Trent Renzor release his albums, these would be unbelievable sounding.

I would really love to have a better DVD-A player, only have a Toshiba SD-4800 with no bass management, of any sign of actual LFE. &nbsp;

:)~

Bob</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>We're pretty much all just dogs begging for scraps...where is the &quot;first tier&quot; stuff? &nbsp;The Big 5 expect us to pay a premium for MC stuff that they couldn't sell at cut-out-bin prices for the last ten years. &nbsp;Sure, there are a few high profile releases, but for each good one there are 5 crappy Elton John or lame-o re-re-release of some forgettable Journey junk.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Join the crowd! I feel the same way. I'm very frustrated with the lack of quality Hi-Rez music being released. I have only one solution at this point...I bought a &quot;universal&quot; player that plays both DVD-A and SACD. This solution has broadened my options for playing Hi-Rez music. Now I can buy both formats and the variety increases dramatically. Most music disks are not released in both formats, so having a universal player really helps. Just a suggestion.

WAKE UP RECORD COMPANIES!!!!! WE WANT MORE HIGH RESOLUTION MUSIC!!!!!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I agree with this entirely. I am starting to see some of the music I enjoy get more populated on the lists for hi-res recordings. I only have a 2 chan. DVD-A player, but it still outplays on it's worst day the insane CD quality.

I suppose one ave. of why we haven’t gotten many hi-res recordings is the de-appreciation of the art of music. I blame mostly mp3 formats for this, and here is my reasons as to why (not a rant on profit / loss of record companies). Many people unfortunately have been used to the idea of getting music on the internet under the new compression format MP3. With the inclusion of broadband, many people have gone this route whether they pay for the music through subscription services or download it for free off the internet. Also, the amount of popularity associated with audio players that allow playback of the MP3 format has exploded on the market. (In fact I own one myself only for carrying music with me to the office without taking 100 cd's) As a result, the number of people that think CD quality is awesome or that MP3 audio quality is perfectly ok to them is staggering. Most people think that an averagely mastered CD recording is about as good as it gets. Ask anyone you know who owns a MP3 player if they ever heard a 120g LP on a half way decent audio setup, or a DVD-A or SACD, and I bet you over 90% won't even know what you are talking about. I believe the problem with most audiophile quality or high quality audio is that it is not as advertised or pushed here in the United States. Everyone thinks CD's are all there is, and this includes sales people at your average audio / video store as well as your average consumer. I had a friend over who told me I was insane for thinking an LP had a better sound than a CD player. I invited him over to my home one day and played the exact same track on a high end CD player and a low / medium end turntable. (I have some albums on both formats). Every time he told me the LP sounded better, but he thought it was the CD he was listening to. I let him listen to a DVD-A after that and he was blown away. After years of listening to CD and MP3 quality music I had expected little else. After hearing my system he has since started to buy high quality audio for not that much more than what he would be paying for another CD player or more CDs.

Sadly, some people don't even hear the differences. Their ear has been tuned to listen to average or poor quality CDs in which case they can not even tell a difference. Once you tell them to try to tune into one instrument on a hi-res recording and then play a CD of the same track and ask them to track the same instrument they were listening to on the hi-res recording their eyes almost pop out of their head with the difference. Other's simply say &quot;I don't care about better quality.. it's good enough.&quot; I can see where people want to say this, but I can't stand it when people say &quot;I have every CD xyz band put out.&quot; and then turn around and say &quot;I don't care if I have a crappy sounding copy.&quot; It just seems to me that they don't appreciate the music as much as others do. Such a condition must be horrible to the bands that strive for better equipment to make their music sound better only to have it lost in badly broken down and compressed audio formats such as CD or MP3.

The sad fact of the matter is as long as people listen only to CD quality and MP3 quality music and think they are just as good as anything out there, hi-res music will always be 2nd rate on the minds of record companies. Personally I feel that if they only advertized more and educated the customer on other musical formats it would catch on rather quickly. I think that DVD-A is the absolute best at achieving this medium. You can get much better audio quality on DVD players that cost only around 150-300 bucks than you ever could on a CD. Once people realize you don't need to spend tens of thousands in order to enjoy a truly unique, audibly pleasing, near-master recording music people will start buying better equipment in droves. This would cause cost of high end equipment to plumit and more recordings to be released. Simple supply and demand would dictate such an action in the hi-res audio marketplace.

Larry...</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Larry,

I agree with you whole heartedly.  I admit i download MP3s,and try to get them to sound as good as originalss or even DTS CDs I make, most are derived from 320kbps MP3s. I hate all these people who download thousands of songs and go &quot;Oh yeah man check my new IPod!&quot; and I go &quot;Oh yeah 320kbps MP3 vs My 1280kbps+; DVD-Audio Player, HDCD Player, or the DTS Cds I own or make&quot;  They Go &quot;Is that a Dell or computer thing?&quot; I am like ready to chainsaw their stupid @$$
!!!

Bob</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>NIN would be sick on hi-rez

they have so much different sounds going on that it would be just awsome</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>The Who, at least, has a couple of SACD releases, including a MC remix of &quot;Tommy.&quot; &nbsp;I haven't bought it yet, but I probably will. &nbsp;There is some good stuff out there, mostly in the classical realm, but it takes some digging.

I personally do listen to MP3 on occasion, but only for rock music. &nbsp;I use MusicMatch Jukebox at the highest quality variable bit rate setting. &nbsp;This yeilds a pretty good sounding recordings for rock, but I don't think it's very satifying for classical (strings and piano just don't sound very good from even the best MP3s, IMOHO).</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I just bought the Elton John SACD &quot;Goodbye Yellow Brick Road&quot; and I was amazed by the sound quality in multichannel playback. &nbsp;I listened to the entire disk set and was in surround sound heaven. &nbsp;This is now my favorite SACD. &nbsp;My Denon 5900 really shows the quality of this remastering effort.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I bought Pink Floyd Dark side of moon in March. &nbsp;All I wanted is to hear it in 5.1, not realizing about SACD. &nbsp;Well after much sleepness nights I bought a Pioneer with SACD and I blown away. &nbsp;The quest now is to find disc available in this format. &nbsp;Go to the record store, they dont even know what SACD is. But, luckily I found The Who's Tommy and if your fan its a must. Is there any good sites for SACD music.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>&gt;amusicdirect.com&lt; has about the best selection of DVD-A &amp; SACD of anyplace I know- think they stock over 1300 titles! &nbsp;If it's in print, they can likely get it.

I was pleased to see that Beck's &quot;Sea Change&quot; is now out on DVD-A. &nbsp;I already have it on SACD, but I'm anxious to get a rare opportunity to hear the same disc in both formats. &nbsp;Ditto for Diana Krall; a couple of her albums will soon be available in both hi rez formats.

The SACD &amp; DVD-A may or may not be mixed from the same master tapes, and if so they may be PCM, DSD or analog, so it may not be a perfect test. &nbsp;But I'm still eager to see if they sound different.</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If NiN were to make hi-res discs, I would SO go out and buy a DVD-A or SA-CD player.

I think what's slowing down DVD-A and SA-CD media proliferation is just the technology curve. &nbsp;CDs took almost an entire decade to really take off. &nbsp;By &quot;take-off&quot; i mean to become mainstream enough that the previous media format starts its decline into becoming an abnormality inside any music store, much like cassettes are now. &nbsp;Try to find a 2003 release on cassette, it's rather tough.

Just give it time.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Good point, Mustang Steve. &nbsp;Some figures I've seen actually show SACD/DVD-A as doing better than CD did, at the same point in it's life cycle. &nbsp;People forget that it takes awhile for a new format to take hold.

Hi Rez MC may never be as big as CD: it's possible that there'll never again be one universal carrier again. &nbsp;We may be looking at a future where many formats and delivery systems will coexist alongside one another.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis