The sweet spot: Trimming and Tweaking

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I realized today that I shouldn't get to confortable with setting on my system because there is always room for improvment. But if I don't experiment with the settings and placements then I won't improve my experience of the sound.

Here's my latest tweak, I turned the rear speakers off, reducing the system to 3.1. I'm using Klipsch RF-35 fronts, RC-35 center, and a RW-12 subwoofer. The crossover is set at 60Hz and all the channels are balanced with an SPL meter. Now i'm using the PL II:Music setting on the reciever with fantastic results. The sound stage is more fulfilling and complex. Instruments are cleaner, crisper, and distinct. I've tryed the All Speaker Stereo setting too. It seems to flatten the expereince, with less seperation and clarity.

I might try turning the sub off too, and set the floorstanding speakers to Large.

I think that part of the improvment over 2.1 channel listening is the pure and simple fact that more drivers are producing sound in the 3.1 system. I'm running 4 8" drivers, 2 6.5" drivers, and 3 1" tweeters.

Before today, I avoided all setting on the reciever that engaged the rear and center speakers because it ruined the experience. I can't believe it took me this long to turn off the damn rears, freeing the center channel to be used with the fronts!

Point here is, I've found that sonic improvements can be attained without better equipment. Just keep playing with settings and placements.

My next improvment will come from lowering the height of the center channel. It's a good 1 1/2 above the fronts, and I can sense that some symmatry is lost because of this placement.

Anybody have a good tip for adjusting the gear you've already got?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis