The Sound Lounge Set-Up

TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
Hello Fellow Audio Lovers,

I thought it is best to continued my set up discussion here once I noticed this section. :)

My set up consist of L890s (fronts), L820s (sides), LC2 (Center) Speakers.
Marantz SR6007, Marantz Model 6170 TT, Marantz SD3000 Tape Deck, Denon DVD Player (Up Grading to maybe a Marantz or Oppo).
32" Hitachi TV (also will upgrade).

The whole room (including the kitchen behind the sweet spot is 12' x 24' 9"
Speakers Back Center from the Front Wall: 32.5"
Speakers Front Center from Side Wall: 28"
(Toed In)

Sweet Spot Triangle: 7'5"

Last edited:
TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
Hahaha, it is upside down on purpose. :p Its not a noob mistake,
That top tweeter we think it is more for marketing hence maybe only a baby can hear that high frequency. Can't hear anything out of that tweeter on all speakers. lol So now the bottom speaker does not reflect as much and more at ear level for movies. We also stand it up vertically to listen to music at its best because at that position the tweeter and center speaker is now inline with the mains within the 1ft rule for best listening.
And at the same time the tweeter horns is now vertical instead of horizontal like the JBL Array or other high end speakers, which we think sounds better.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I like it, especially the vintage Marantz gear.

You need a bigger screen ;)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
We also stand it up vertically to listen to music at its best because at that position the tweeter and center speaker is now inline with the mains within the 1ft rule for best listening.
And at the same time the tweeter horns is now vertical instead of horizontal like the JBL Array or other high end speakers, which we think sounds better.
the WT/MW center has a dispersion pattern similar to a tower. The crossover is optimized to give a more even horizontal dispersion. By standing it up, you'll lose that. Off center people will get all kinds of crazy FR from the center. If it sounds good to you, so be it. Ideally though, if having the tweeter line up with mains is important, raise it up while keeping the drivers in correct orientation.

TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
the WT/MW center has a dispersion pattern similar to a tower. The crossover is optimized to give a more even horizontal dispersion. By standing it up, you'll lose that. Off center people will get all kinds of crazy FR from the center. If it sounds good to you, so be it. Ideally though, if having the tweeter line up with mains is important, raise it up while keeping the drivers in correct orientation.
Hi,
Well something that begun as an experiment turned into a decision to keep it like that because we realize it did sound better and at this point without construction I can't raise the TV anymore therefore can't raise the center channel for movies. Another reason is for safety with the house of rug-rats lol
And as mentioned the top tweeter on all speakers is not even hearable, damn market schemes. lol

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Lovely place there and gear. That large space needs a Projecter/Screen. :)

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic

But when you are sitting in the sweet spot (and the only one listening) the vertical orientation did improve the sound when listening to MC music. I was the one who first rotated that center, just for curiosity.
And having the center up-side-down when horizontal, places the all important mid closer to ear level...its not a bad thing.

Going the other way, in my system, I had a vertical 3-way for a center, but the MB was just too close to the floor. So I cut a circle around the T/Mid, creating a module. I then rotated the module 90* to create a horizontal center, with the T/M vertically orientated.
That placed it in line with the main L/R 3-ways....so its whatever works for a given system.

TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
Here is a new video of the set-up.
I know you can't hear the quality through PC speakers etc.
Just thought some may like it better that still-shots.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Is it mandatory to play Diana Krall's "Temptation" when you do a video of your system? :p
I swear it feels like 90% of the self proclaimed audiophiles use that very same song on every video. :eek:

Nice space and gear. I like it except that little computer monitor that you using as a TV. :p

TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
Is it mandatory to play Diana Krall's "Temptation" when you do a video of your system? :p
I swear it feels like 90% of the self proclaimed audiophiles use that very same song on every video. :eek:

Nice space and gear. I like it except that little computer monitor that you using as a TV. :p
Yeah, it seems that song has become very popular. I first heard it 1 year ago from a Kendrick Sound Youtube video and had to test it on this set up.
I will make another video then of another song. Any requests? lol ;)

Yep, a big 32" PC Monitor heats up that damn room quick too. But it was free when we needed something. lol

Last edited:
DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, well audiophiles.....need I say more?!
I am a JBLphile myself. And do not need the extra crap.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Nice setup but where's the powered sub?

TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
Nice setup but where's the powered sub?
Have no yet to find a musical one that I can afford yet, as I heard the L8400P is too boomy and not good for music.
Sometimes what is available join the Japanese market is different than USA and sometimes more expensive. :(
I guess I could order something online from USA or other country...

TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
L8400P.JPG
Just found a pair of JBL L8400P Subs from USA. Should arrive mid August. :cool:
How do like them apples Gene? lol

TheSoundLounge

TheSoundLounge

Enthusiast
The subs arrived a couple days ago.
Connected them up directly to the mains since I don't have coax cables and placed each in the front corners for now until I have time to do the crawl test.
They work fine beside 1 of the Green LEDs is burned out..... Hopefully I can fix that myself.
But not too bad; $1,000 for 2 used subs (including shipping from USA to Japan/import tax).
Money well SPENT!
:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis