The Skinny on PlayStation 3 Slim

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Why would they say "much improved" audio, when it's really the same thing, just decoded in the PS3 vs. decoded in the receiver?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think they are just saying that they improved the audio capabilities in that it can now bitstream, which for some reason seemed to be a complaint by many (for no real reason).

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think they are just saying that they improved the audio capabilities in that it can now bitstream, which for some reason seemed to be a complaint by many (for no real reason).
Yeah, it's a nice feature, but I don't think there's an audible difference. It currently has no effect on me since I'm running optical from my PS3 b/c the HDMI on my processor doesn't pass audio. Still, even running optical, I can still hear an improvement with Blu-ray over standard DVD.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I for one would love to be able to bitstream to my receiver, but only so I can see the TrueHD or dts-hd master audio lights on my receiver, which is not a big deal really. But when you bitstream, you lose the ability to have audio for a secondary stream, i.e. picture in picture.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
With the current market and low demand, I guess that would translate into being able to get these new chips made dirt cheap. Though 45nm has been around for years, most fabs aren't geared up with the new equipment to manufacture at that size, however they do get more chips from a single wafer comparatively (been in that industry for years)

And the REAL reason why you need the new slim:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/ps3-slim-gets-much-improved-audio-627975
Again I ask, why is it significant that it will bitstream those codecs?

Edit: Seth should really learn to keep reading the thread before responding to a post.

Edit Edit: I seem to remember this topic that Glocksrock has brought up being discussed before. So in reality, bitstreaming is inferior.:D Maybe this is one of those things that HDMI 1.4 will address, although it doesn't look like that will be included with the package of the PS3 slim.:(

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Again I ask, why is it significant that it will bitstream those codecs?

Edit: Seth should really learn to keep reading the thread before responding to a post.

Edit Edit: I seem to remember this topic that Glocksrock has brought up being discussed before. So in reality, bitstreaming is inferior.:D Maybe this is one of those things that HDMI 1.4 will address, although it doesn't look like that will be included with the package of the PS3 slim.:(
I think the main reason people want it to bitstream is so they can see the lights on their receiver, but also so they can see for themselves if there is a difference in sq, when the receiver does the decoding instead of the player.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think the main reason people want it to bitstream is so they can see the lights on their receiver, but also so they can see for themselves if there is a difference in sq, when the receiver does the decoding instead of the player.
I'm perfectly satisfied and know I am getting the best signal possible when I see multichannel PCM on the RX-V3800 screen and what ever codec is being used can be seen by pressing the display button on the Blu-ray remote (select on the PS3 SixAxis Controller).:D

P

panzeroceania

Junior Audioholic
you forgot a critical feature for audioholics. The PS3 Slim can now bitstream dolby true HD and dts Master Audio to your reciever rather than decoding it itself, all old PS3s could not do this and annoyed many of us but now with the new chip in the PS3 slim you can bitstream your audio.

Also while the loss of SACD is sad, the PS3 supports DVD audio and Blu-ray audio which is getting better and better.

as for why bitstreaming is better, it's about audio quality, see this engadget link

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/08/21/ps3-slim-bitsreams-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-ma-audio-at-last/

just make sure your reciever can handle processing what you are planning to bitstream from your blu-rays. I have an onkyo 806 so I am covered :)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
you forgot a critical feature for audioholics. The PS3 Slim can now bitstream dolby true HD and dts Master Audio to your reciever rather than decoding it itself, all old PS3s could not do this and annoyed many of us but now with the new chip in the PS3 slim you can bitstream your audio.

Also while the loss of SACD is sad, the PS3 supports DVD audio and Blu-ray audio which is getting better and better.

as for why bitstreaming is better, it's about audio quality, see this engadget link

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/08/21/ps3-slim-bitsreams-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-ma-audio-at-last/

just make sure your reciever can handle processing what you are planning to bitstream from your blu-rays. I have an onkyo 806 so I am covered :)
Try reading the rest of the thread. We've already covered everything you said. Not to mention that even in the article you listed it says:
Even though the vast majority of people will never notice the difference (or even care)

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
As one would guess, the PS3 Slim has a new cooling system. Namely, a big fan.

The Slim with it's top cover off.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The existing fan is likely that big as well, though they did say in the article this was probably the largest fan they've seen in a device of this size.

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
At $300, it's a great deal on a small, good looking, capable BD player with a decent sized HDD.

For me, in a small urban apartment the smaller size and more shelf-friendly shape are a big deal. I've held off on BD because HD streaming will obsolete it, but this may tip the scales for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
HD streaming will obsolete it when? In 7 years? Not anytime soon.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's a variable speed controlled fan. Because of it's size and design it's operation can be quiet will maintaining stable tempurature inside the PS3. The Xbox 360, especially older models, are louder because the use smaller fans that usually run at faster speeds. The PS3's fan can get going pretty good if it needs to cool the unit down. My 40gb PS3 can sound like a server tower when I do the high speed fan test.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
In home media formats will always have a one up on streaming, and on DL's as well (those take time, especially for large file sizes). When streaming get's to the level of PQ and SQ of Blu-ray everyone will be on to virtual reality in 3D.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis