The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
U left out the superb, sonic performance of the Bose amplifiers..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just my $0.02.. ;)
Well, see the Denon has the McIntosh sound, the Yamaha has the Levinson sound, and the Bose has the sound of an NFL quarterback being sacked on his a$$. :eek:

That's what happens to Aaron Rodgers when he does commercials for Bose. :eek:

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well, see the Denon has the McIntosh sound, the Yamaha has the Levinson sound, and the Bose has the sound of an NFL quarterback being sacked on his a$$.
so where does the CJ and ARC sound find it's niche ?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Now why go and pick on poor BOSE? After all they did Invent the acoustic chamber sound wave. :rolleyes:;)

Mike
Hmmm...
Before purchasing my incredible 901s I listened to all of the major loudspeaker brands, the 901s put them all to shame... o_O

Just my $0.02... ;)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
:cool:
Umm, what the hell you two are talking about? CJ and ARC? :eek: and You Andrew, I know you sure don’t have to pay a hooker for one of those BJ’s;). and Mikado, I’ve seen a photo of ADTG’s wife, umm, wait umm never mind still on my first cup of joe. I missed ARC just a note in case you two never used dem call girls like me. That Acronym of ARC in the Hooker Industry stands for All Rearend’s are Cash only. :p

Mike

LMAO Mike, too funny........ anyways, ARC (Audio Research Corporation) CJ(Conrad Johnson)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LMAO Mike, too funny........ anyways, ARC (Audio Research Corporation) CJ(Conrad Johnson)
I would assume that Audio Research and Conrad-Johnson have their own sound signatures. :D

What do you think they sound similar to? :D

I made the comment about Yamaha sounding like Mark Levinson, but I'm sure others might disagree. Why, I think some people like Mike may think Yamaha sounds more like the shiny 9-FT Grand Pianos that Yamaha makes. :D

Or maybe they sound like their Grand Piano Speakers:

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't use CJ or ARC. So I'm not sure. :D
I haven't used them either, but heard the ARC
I would assume that Audio Research and Conrad-Johnson have their own sound signatures. :D

I made the comment about Yamaha sounding like Mark Levinson, but I'm sure others might disagree. Why, I think some people like Mike may think Yamaha sounds more like the shiny 9-FT Grand Pianos that Yamaha makes. :D

Yamaha grands don't use tubes, so I guess not.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
:cool:
Umm, what the hell you two are talking about? CJ and ARC? :eek: and You Andrew, I know you sure don’t have to pay a hooker for one of those BJ’s;). and Mikado, I’ve seen a photo of ADTG’s wife, umm, wait umm never mind still on my first cup of joe. I missed ARC just a note in case you two never used dem call girls like me. That Acronym of ARC in the Hooker Industry stands for All Rearend’s are Cash only. :p

Mike
The things I learn from this forum! Lol :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General

Who ever thinks Yamaha only made Motorcycles or ATVs doesn’t know how Deeep the Pockets are. I know the old timers that have been in this hobby Do! like me who hasn’t been a member as long as some old timers on here knew of Yamaha back in the very early 80’s. When was the last time Any one on this forum seen a Denon piano? Or a Marantz grand piano in a concert? If so please Enlighten me inquiring minds need to know. Lol :cool:

Mike

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Last time someone told me they had one of Dem BS, College papers come to find out he got dat paper from the same white van guy who sold me some water proof Ink pens. Lol.
But guess his Waterproof ink pen was better than mine cause now he selling speakers out in the Wow wow West! ;)

Mike
At least you were clever enough not to buy the white van speakers :eek:

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
Audiophiles are very good at convincing themselves that their beliefs about gear are true.Just read the discussions about wires and this becomes evident. Truth is that the best AVR's from Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha now sound indistinguishable from separates in most normal applications. I've had separates for most of my life(I'm 67) but I just bought a Yamaha Aventage receiver. This AVR is awesome. Sound quality is, as far as I can tell, perfect. So good that I can now hear that the tweeters in my speakers (Polk Rtia5) aren't very good. Going to look at Magnepan and Martin Logan ESL's. IMO the tweeters are the most difficult thing for speakers to get right.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Audiophiles are very good at convincing themselves that their beliefs about gear are true.Just read the discussions about wires and this becomes evident. Truth is that the best AVR's from Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha now sound indistinguishable from separates in most normal applications. I've had separates for most of my life(I'm 67) but I just bought a Yamaha Aventage receiver. This AVR is awesome. Sound quality is, as far as I can tell, perfect. So good that I can now hear that the tweeters in my speakers (Polk Rtia5) aren't very good. Going to look at Magnepan and Martin Logan ESL's. IMO the tweeters are the most difficult thing for speakers to get right.
Not sure what Yammy AVR you bought, but I agree...under most circumstances, the avg Joe would not be able to tell the difference in a high quality AVR vs a pre/pro + power amp.

For me...my very 1st hifi system ('79) was separates and I have owned an AVR as well...admittedly a cheap one just to get 5.1 surround.

IMO Separates are not about improved SQ...I want heat generating amps in a separate box with a dedicated power supply and the control unit likewise.

Speakers...the midrange carries 70-80% of the content in most music, making it the most important driver imo, but the sizzle is clearly in the hi end and I agree it can make or break a speaker.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
David, I'm but two years younger than you so as for the sound being indistinguishable I suspect your (our) respective ages has something to do with that !

As for your consideration of a di-pole from Maggie or Logan, both make excellent examples but as someone who has owned from both over the past 35 years don't expect a run of the mill $500 AVR to do them justice, especially on the Maggies and non-hybrid Logans.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis