The Pacific--Follow up to Band of Brothers!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the heads up, Matt. I've been thinking that the Pacific theater needs to get some more attention in the current genre of war movie. Hanks/Spielberg are doing a great job of bringing new life to the greatest generation.

I'd really love to see a movie of the story of Taffy 3. That's one of the most inspiring stories of bravery to come out of the war.
Not to hijack, but here's a clip of Taffy 3's story. The first video is just the setup. Part two gets more into details of Taffy 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Wow! That looks and sounds cool. That show will probably be very very popular. :)

Last edited:
aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Interesting story about this- about 9 months back I sold my SD version of BoB on Half.com b/c I upgraded to BD to a Navy serviceman (a Hospital Corpsman) stationed in Okinawa. We got to talking over email for a while (I sent him some extra movies that I had duplicates of lying around) and he told me that they were filming this and using military personnel who were currently stationed in the Pacific as extras. He and his buddies were all excited about trying out.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Right on.

Interesting story about this- about 9 months back I sold my SD version of BoB on Half.com b/c I upgraded to BD to a Navy serviceman (a Hospital Corpsman) stationed in Okinawa. We got to talking over email for a while (I sent him some extra movies that I had duplicates of lying around) and he told me that they were filming this and using military personnel who were currently stationed in the Pacific as extras. He and his buddies were all excited about trying out.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it.
That's a pretty cool story Aberkowitz. :)

Bob

majorloser

majorloser

I truly feel we can not do enough to keep this part of history alive. It will always be the era of "The Greatest Generation" as coined by Tom Brokaw. Every year we are losing so many of the survivors of this war. It would be a tragic shame to lose even one of their stories and experiences. I honestly feel that even my generation doesn't truly know the magnitude of world event at that time, only two generation earlier.

I sometimes wonder how todays society would deal with events of this magnitude. I honestly don't think we have world leaders capable of handling anything near that level. I just hope they are capable of never allowing the world to reach the breaking point again.

I sometimes wonder how todays society would deal with events of this magnitude. I honestly don't think we have world leaders capable of handling anything near that level. I just hope they are capable of never allowing the world to reach the breaking point again.
Seriously? If we can't win a war in 2 months with less than 100 casualties "we'd" scream for the US to quit and back out.

Unless we get attacked on our very own soil we would never have this kind of fortitude and even then I think there would be those who would rather just give up some land as if that's all it was about.

It's not just the greatest generation of soldier that is dying out... it's the greatest generation of leaders and politicians as well.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I honestly don't think we have world leaders capable of handling anything near that level.
It's not just the greatest generation of soldier that is dying out... it's the greatest generation of leaders and politicians as well.
Prior to WWII, Winston Churchill was the drunken, often misguided scion of a priviledged family, holding position by familial rank and tradition. His political and military decisions were sometimes disastrous. His rise to Prime Minister was a fluke. His turning point and the source of his legendary leadership is rooted in a single speech that resolved the British people to fight the Nazis on their own to the very end.

The point being that we do not know what our leaders or citizens are capable of until the time arrives. Churchill's leadership had every potential to be disastrous, yet he stepped up and delivered Britain to victory (with the help of the USA). Today's leaders may well be capable of the same if thrust into that situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

I'm not sure I'm "feeling" this one. BofB was amazing and I really hope the Pacific stories, acting, direction and soundtracks are as equally amazing, if not better. I'll reserve judgement til I see more.

Jack

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Prior to WWII, Winston Churchill was the drunken, often misguided scion of a priviledged family, holding position by familial rank and tradition. His political and military decisions were sometimes disastrous. His rise to Prime Minister was a fluke. His turning point and the source of his legendary leadership is rooted in a single speech that resolved the British people to fight the Nazis on their own to the very end.

The point being that we do not know what our leaders or citizens are capable of until the time arrives. Churchill's leadership had every potential to be disastrous, yet he stepped up and delivered Britain to victory (with the help of the USA). Today's leaders may well be capable of the same if thrust into that situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill

Hey Dave, you got a good point there buddy, plus a link too. :)

Winston Churchill is indeed an enigmatic figure of grandiose proportion.
He has a twelve-book biography that is of grand magnitude about his thoughts and decisions on the Nazis, Adolph Hitler, the second world war and all that transcends. And he writed it himself, so you learn first hand about the man from his own writing.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it's starting tonight!

I'm going to watch it.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I truly feel we can not do enough to keep this part of history alive. It will always be the era of "The Greatest Generation" as coined by Tom Brokaw. Every year we are losing so many of the survivors of this war. It would be a tragic shame to lose even one of their stories and experiences. I honestly feel that even my generation doesn't truly know the magnitude of world event at that time, only two generation earlier.

I will have to see this when it's out on video since my interest was rekindled by a personal story. I had a relative that died a few years back. I knew he had been in the war, but nobody except his wife, who was sworn to secrecy, knew that he had been a 17 year old aircrewman who was shot down over Borneo. He and the rest of the surviving crew were hidden in the jungle by people who had been cannibals only 10 years prior (they were converted by Dutch missionaries).

These villagers didn't like the Japanese and took great risks to hide the crew for months. When the Japanese came looking, they decided to break the vow to not be cannibals and had what they called a "head feast". My uncle, only broke his silence when he was a few months from death because he felt that what he had been through was nothing; it was the villagers who were the heroes in his view. I don't know if most of us are up for things like that anymore and it hit him when he was barely old enough to drive. There' s a book called the Airmen and the Headhunters about the episode.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
So did anyone watch it? Is it on the same level as Band of Brothers?

M

myaudiocd

Enthusiast
I watched it. Different feel somehow. It felt, well modern. I wasn't sent back to the time. Not yet anyway, it might do it later, it takes me a few episodes to get into this kind of thing.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
So did anyone watch it? Is it on the same level as Band of Brothers?
I think that's impossible to say right now. If I had to judge the BoB series based only on the first episode, I might say it was mostly about running up a hill named Curahee.

There seems to be a bit more education in the first episode of The Pacific, compared to some BoB episodes. Tom Hanks narrates the opening, explaining some of the details of the US involvement into the war, with a map showing the extent of the Japanese Empire.

Well, so far, I would say it's very good. The first episode of BoB didn't really have any warfare action. That's not the case for The Pacific.

I watched it. Different feel somehow. It felt, well modern. I wasn't sent back to the time. Not yet anyway, it might do it later, it takes me a few episodes to get into this kind of thing.
I felt differently. I thought they did an excellent job in that regard, in fact. If it is the PQ that might make it feel modern, as opposed to the induced graininess of BoB, I read a quote by Spielberg, "There's a strong desaturated look to Band of Brothers'. Here they're fighting in blue skies -- hot, dry, humid. So there are more vivid colors in 'Pacific' because that's the way it was."

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Pacific

Unlike BOB where I waited for the Bluray, I watched first Pacific episode last night. IMO, this series is off to a great start. I'm not much of a TV series watcher but I know what I will be doing Sunday nights for the next 10 weeks.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I'll agree with others- it's way too early to compare to BoB just yet. I actually stopped watching BoB after the first episode when it was first broadcast b/c I didn't think the storyline was that interesting. It wasn't until a year later or so when I went back and watched the entire boxset and was totally entranced. "Currahee" makes a lot more sense in retrospect when you watch the remainder of the episodes.

I thought the first episode was very good... I think the historical exposition provided was very necessary. I don't think most Americans know the story of the Pacific campaign as well as that of Europe. In some ways, that's because the story of Europe is easier to tell... it's about places people relate to more easily (England, France, Germany, Italy) as opposed to tiny islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean that nobody's really ever heard of. I think the average person can easily understand the significance and symbolism of liberating Paris, but it's not as simple to understand why places like Guadalcanal, Midway, and Guam held so much significance in the war.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis