The Pacific Blu-ray Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When it comes to World War II, the war in the Pacific rarely gets the kind of attention bestowed on the European theater. They fought on nameless dots of land upon an endless ocean in an alien terrain and the Marines fought a brutal war against a relentless enemy more than prepared and all too ready to die for his cause. Their battle is equally as important as any in the War and is deserving of equal attention. HBO Films and the makers of Band of Brothers have saved their best effort for the war in The Pacific. Their ten-part presentation, made with an estimated $150 million budget, has won 8 Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries – it easily ranks as the most important television of 2010.

Discuss "The Pacific Blu-ray Review" here. Read the article.

L

lowc

Audioholic Intern
Big fan of Band of Brothers, going to have to pick this one up Nov. 2nd

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I have looked around the web for other Pacific Blu-ray reviews. I wanted to see if other early reviewers were just as impressed as I by the video quality, and it appears I am not the only one who finds this to be the 'perfect' disc release to the Blu-ray format.

Dave from DVD Town gives it a 10 of 10 in every category!
http://www.dvdtown.com/review/pacific-the-/blu-ray/8534

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I can't wait for this to come out, I've been waiting for this for a while.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Watching it on HBO was pretty awesome

I really enjoyed watching this series on HBO. I thought the sound, in particular, was extraordinarily well done. The panning of the sound of planes flying overhead from front to back or back to front really stood out in my mind as did the sound of spent ammunition casings clinking around the site of the shooter.

It was really well done, and really well shot. It took a while for me to get into it as I was expecting more of a Band of Brothers warm-up where you got to meet most of the characters while they were in training, but, overall, I found the characters of Leckie (d-oh, I've forgotten the name of the other guy who was an author) to be incredibly well done. Much more complex characters than any character in Band of Brothers (except maybe Nixon), and, therefore, much more compelling drama.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Wayde;

This is a VERY cool disc to present to forum readers. Kudos to HBO for putting together such outstanding video and audio quality for what is a significant chapter in the United States and world history.

And God bless the troops.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
This review is dedicated to veterans past and present - you are not forgotten.
Easily the coolest thing ever posted for a thread opening.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Thanks Maple Syrup.

The series did a difficult thing, using real people. The special features really drives it home that these are people not unlike your granparents. It really makes you think of the troops today.

More and more are coming home and they'll be looking for jobs in this economy. I hope 'veteran' resumes get a extra attention. I know if one passes my way I will give it a solid look as I am a veteran of the US Army.

It was hard not to put in any Marine jokes but - all rivalry aside, I liked how the series dealt with serious subjects.

I think, you're thinking of the other guy that was also a write - PFC Sledge. He was the younger guy. At the very end of the series - the scene where he and his father went hunting ... gosh it brings a tear to my eye.

If only all our vets could have such an understanding (and well-off) parent to come home to.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
I have no idea how to watch the extras on my Oppo player. The two just don't mix I guess. It really is a good series and the sound is absolutely amazing. My poor sub is working overtime on these discs. Nice job HBO!

T

Talktolee

Audiophyte
I would imagine this would look amazing on BR...watched it on HBO regular and I was thrilled...not as good as B.O.B. but still pretty good.

Frans

Frans

Junior Audioholic
Just had it delivered! Now I need a day or two off. Fat chance, so I guess it has to wait 'till Christmas.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Just finished watching Parts 1 & 2 of the BD version. Man - that is a well-made production! The combat scenes really gave the RX-V1800's amp section a workout. It didn't get hot, per se, but she got pretty warm! Then again, the girls were out of the house and I was able to bring up the SPLs "a bit". Almost felt myself ducking the flying bullets! Great PQ too! Me like!:D

D

doctorG4

Audiophyte
Hi all I need help with this Bluray set.

I cannot seem to access the special content of the disk:

1) in the “picture in picture” mode no matter which remote button I press I cannot switch between the main movie and the inset which remain “voiceless”.

3) in the “history line” or whatever is called any of the selected entries is without voice even if the menu and the main movie soundtracks are perfectly audible.

I have a Sony UHD UDP-x700.

any idea??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi all I need help with this Bluray set.

I cannot seem to access the special content of the disk:

1) in the “picture in picture” mode no matter which remote button I press I cannot switch between the main movie and the inset which remain “voiceless”.

3) in the “history line” or whatever is called any of the selected entries is without voice even if the menu and the main movie soundtracks are perfectly audible.

I have a Sony UHD UDP-x700.

any idea??

It may be a center speaker problem. A lot of voices get sent to the center speaker. If the AVR isn't routing the information to the center speaker, it would sound like you are getting a sound except minus voices. My guess is that the problem is with the AVR, not the blu ray player or the disc.

D

doctorG4

Audiophyte
It may be a center speaker problem. A lot of voices get sent to the center speaker. If the AVR isn't routing the information to the center speaker, it would sound like you are getting a sound except minus voices. My guess is that the problem is with the AVR, not the blu ray player or the disc.
thanks but unfortunately is not that:

I get no sound at all only on the special content and no possibility to select the picture-in-picture interviews. Seems like the two separate problems:

1) no matter what I do on the remote I cannot switch from main movie soundtrack to pic-in-pic interview soundtrack. the instructions are “use < and > buttons” but no button on my remote switches to soundtrack of the interview(see photo below)

2) for the other special content in disc one (see also photo below) I can select the interview but there is no soundtrack at all.

I wonder if this is a limitation of my Players or a mistake in the mastering of the Discs

This happens in ALL my 3 Sony BD player I have : S7600, UBP-x800 and UBP-x700 with latest firmware

For 1) above disc 1 of Pacific can you try if it works for you (ie you can switch audio from movie to interview) and which button you press??

Thanks a lot

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you set to bitstream? Or pcm?
Pcm disables a lot of that stuff like secondary audio and button sounds etc.

D

doctorG4

Audiophyte
Are you set to bitstream? Or pcm?
Pcm disables a lot of that stuff like secondary audio and button sounds etc.
well regarding the video extra the player says DTS 2.0 and I have tried both PCM and Bitstream with the same result (no audio).

what I’m puzzled by is the other problem ie inhability to switch between main movie an PiP... pressing the right arrow like indicated in the instruction only has the effect to jump to the next point in the movie where extra PiP is and not even trying to change audio.

I wonder if it is a bad BD-J (Java) implementation in the Sony Players or in the disc itself.

D

doctorG4

Audiophyte
Thanks!!! You were right!! Problem solved. Might be useful to other Sony BD owners...

There is a menu in the Sony BD player (separate from PCM vs Auto) which is called “BD secondary audio” as per

toggling that made the trick and got both audio working (in fact no need to press any button to hear it: it starts automatically).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis