Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
another shot @ 'BV', this looking out the back of the NYC tower at the former Nickleplate (now NS) that ran parallel to the East. A hot shot westbound, Berkshire ! My Dads '54 Chevy at the bottom

BV Nickleplate.jpg

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
as an adult modeler I believe the Walthers catalog is akin to the Sears & Roebuck Christmas catalog for a child !
My brother worked there while he was in college, in the art department. He came home one day and made some comments about the new brass version of the Big Boy engine and nothing came of it. Until Christmas, when he got one last package from our parents. He had no idea that they had bought it and he was completely blown away.

I just sent an e-mail to them, asking if they still have photos of the model from their catalog. I'll post whatever I get. It was spectacular.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Number 22 INYO train on location in Menifee, California from my favorite television show from the 60s.

(post edited for the sake of TLS Guy)

Attachments

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My favorite television show from the 60s.
This thread does seem to have legs. So let's get this thread back to audio with the sound of the Napier Deltic engine. This engine powered Motor torpedo Boats,, and fast diesel locomotives in the UK mainly during the sixties and seventies. They one one Hell of a noise. The engine had two versions, the 36 piston, 18 cylinder engine and the less common 18 piston nine cylinder engine. Both engines had three crankshafts at the apex of a triangle, linked by a complex system of phasing gears. Each pair of pistons shared a common cylinder with no cylinder head. There was in inlet one side and exhaust the other. The engine was supercharged, and off necessity was a two cycle diesel as there were no valves. They powered many fast MTBs, some fast locomotives and the famous huge New York Pumper truck.

The hyperlink above will give you a good description of how the engine works.

I will post some videos below, and you must play them on your big rigs and let it rip. A laptop, ipad or mobile phone will not do justice!

I remember those locomotives well.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
TLS Guy, my post with a reference to my favorite show has to do with the theme of this thread, trains. Okay?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Number 22 INYO train on location in Menifee, California from my favorite television show from the 60s.

(post edited for the sake of TLS Guy)
yep, fond memories as well. I assume you've seen the movie re-make ?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yes, I have seen the movie, but I liked the original TV series better.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If we ever get around to booking a rail tour through the U.K., I know who to ask for recommendations. :)
And for those who might want to get into/back into model railroading, here's a catalog from a local company-

I expected it to be mostly HO but a surprising amount of N scale as well. Most of the stuff I have is from Minitrix, Rapido, Arnold and Lima. Probably considered antiques by now. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy, my post with a reference to my favorite show has to do with the theme of this thread, trains. Okay?
The above thread is about trains, and that can include what powers them I would have thought. You should listen to that video and hear the unique roar of those Deltic engines. Literally a unique train power plant, and an incredible piece of engineering.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yes I agree. Awesome videos, thanks for the links.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Back in the mid 90's, 2 co-workers were into trains, and I asked them if I could tag along with them, whenever they were going. Soon, I was the PR person to get us into the yards, towers, maintenance/repair facilities...etc. Without details for Wisconsin and northern IL, seeing facilities, and or just picking a spot with activity, I accumulated 6 hours of Beta tape, which eventually I transferred to DVD. The other 2 companions have VHS copies. 911, shut down our ventures. Those were the good days.

Burlington Northern at the time, Chicago, we got inside the main control room, from an unlocked entrance door. That was really scarry and security was called right away.........That control room was HUGE with all kinds of large monitors. We won't forget that excursion, but there were other vantage points outside of main Chicago.

I did purchase some HO engines and cars for a 4 X 8 layout. I mainly structured a yard using Peco switches. Anyway, my train stuff was packed, before we moved and retired in 2005. I should get it out and see if the 4 engines still work and sell my stuff to any local enthusiasts. Engines and Peco switches are in original boxes.

Ya, train watching was pretty fun with my 2 co-workers, who knew trains from one end to the other. They were much younger than me at the time, but lots of fun.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
For anyone near Green Bay, WI or who might find themselves nearby, the National Railroad Museum may be something to check out- haven't been there in a long time, but it was worthwhile.

Also, for those in Southern WI, Northern Illinois, Quad Cities area, the East Troy Railroad Museum could be interesting.

Yup, been there and worth mentioning for sure. I live in Janesville, WI., and did a lot of venturing into the many active railroad yards. I miss those days back in the mid 90's.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Here are some pictures of the Mallett, that is on display at Two Harbors, on the Northshore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. I took these pictures just a few years ago.

These engines were massive and quite a few operated here to haul iron from the iron range to the ports on Lake Superior. That was a time when the Great Lakes region was the very center of world industrial production. These engines had four double acting cylinders powered from one boiler. The two sections articulated below the boiler.

There is one working in South Dakota, and another under restoration.

highfigh

highfigh

Here are some pictures of the Mallett, that is on display at Two Harbors, on the Northshore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. I took these pictures just a few years ago.

These engines were massive and quite a few operated here to haul iron from the iron range to the ports on Lake Superior. That was a time when the Great Lakes region was the very center of world industrial production. These engines had four double acting cylinders powered from one boiler. The two sections articulated below the boiler.

There is one working in South Dakota, and another under restoration.
I would bet that some of the ore carried by these made it past my neighborhood on the railway that ended at the Menomonee Valley yard in Milwaukee- we found lots of Taconite pellets on the Granite under the tracks and on the hillside when we were kids.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Cool pics / video Doc, the wife and I rode behind the saddle tank mallet some years back while vacationing in the Black Hills, fun ride !

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
For those watching the KC / Steelers game last nite, did you take notice of the nice night time shot they had of Kansas City Union Station all lit up ? it did look grand ! been through there numerous times on the Southwest Chief

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis