D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My Uncle, and to a slightly lesser extent my Dad, was a big train nut. I remember going to some Rail museums when I was younger. Of course, the model trains and electric trains were always fascinating.

While I know some Gen Xers and younger folk that are into trains, it seems more a generational thing with the gap occurring after the Boomers. I always attributed this to the changes that happened after WWII with the spread of automobiles and television becoming more and more common as the years progressed.
Trains became an afterthought in society rather than a romantic possibility. The younger generations didn't look at a passing train and ask, "where can it take me?" (Instead, we looked to the sky and passenger planes and rocket launches. (A generalization to be certain. ;) )

Of course, growing up in Wichita like Danzilla... well, just short of hijacking a combine, the train was probably the only escape! :D :D :D
*blows kiss

That said, I think of growing up and watching old westerns. A western without a Train just seems wrong. ;)

Or else I think about some old Tom Waits...

:cool:
Whaaat???What???? You grew up in my home town. You mean we were neighbors???? Cool! :D

They're are trains all over here in San Antonio Texas sometimes when your down town you get stopped I love standing or waiting in front of the train and trying to guess how long it was or how long it would take

Sometimes when I walked when I lived downtown I would walk on the tracks or just stand as the trains go by

Always reminded me of that scene in One Perfect Day an underground Australian movie about the rave scene that I loved had a killer soundtrack when he pulls that stunt with the train! I'd never have the cajones to do that! But it sure looked cool!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Whaaat???What???? You grew up in my home town. You mean we were neighbors???? Cool! :D

They're are trains all over here in San Antonio Texas sometimes when your down town you get stopped I love standing or waiting in front of the train and trying to guess how long it was or how long it would take

Sometimes when I walked when I lived downtown I would walk on the tracks or just stand as the trains go by

Always reminded me of that scene in One Perfect Day an underground Australian movie about the rave scene that I loved had a killer soundtrack when he pulls that stunt with the train! I'd never have the cajones to do that! But it sure looked cool!
No... not neighbors but by a state line. ;)
I do know the midwest well, though. Not home anymore... but once. You can take a boy out of the MW, but you can't take it out of the boy. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
No... not neighbors but by a state line. ;)
I do know the midwest well, though. Not home anymore... but once. You can take a boy out of the MW, but you can't take it out of the boy. :D
Don't I know it!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
So how bad has Covid affected train travel? I would imagine it has to be really bad. :(

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So how bad has Covid affected train travel? I would imagine it has to be really bad. :(
well........ many of the niceties that draw train travelers to the rails have changed. That old saying, 'nothing could be finer than dinner in the diner' doesn't always apply now !

For the past five years my wife and I come home from Florida at the end of March via the Auto Train (love it, saves 1000 miles I don't have to be on I95) and the past two years all the 'little things' have disappeared because of COVID restrictions, With Omicron I suspect it will be the same this year

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One of the things we're hoping for under the infrastructure spending is to have a train station here.....they just pass thru otherwise and you have to go 40 miles to the east or about 60 miles to the west to hop on/off one. We do have a maintenance yard here so it does supply some local employment.....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
One of the things we're hoping for under the infrastructure spending is to have a train station here.....they just pass thru otherwise and you have to go 40 miles to the east or about 60 miles to the west to hop on/off one. We do have a maintenance yard here so it does supply some local employment.....
Are you talking about Amtrak service ? For the Coast Starlight ?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
one of my favorite cams is the one from Revelstoke, BC, beautiful mountain scape in the background and right now a very impressive snow cover !
Interesting. Yeah, I was just 'there' today. They get a lot of snow. I go to Skykomish, Washington a lot too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
one of my favorite cams is the one from Revelstoke, BC, beautiful mountain scape in the background and right now a very impressive snow cover !
Supposed to be some epic mountain biking up there.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting. Yeah, I was just 'there' today. They get a lot of snow. I go to Skykomish, Washington a lot too.
cool, Amtrak #48 is in Rochester right now, should be rolling through the Fairport cam soon...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My brother was always a train freak, I never caught the bug to anywhere near that degree but I do like them. We lived near a Milwaukee Road line that was used by other companies and hung around under the trestle on another line close to our house. The lines are now abandoned, but they pulled the tracks and paved the bed, for use as a walk/bike/hike path and now, I ride that to the North and SE, down to Lake Michigan. We also had the North Shore Line passing by our area and the Northern leg of the trail I mentioned uses the old track bed for that. We had a milkman who was a RR fan as kids and he used to bring posters for my brother, so he had those plastered on the walls of his room. I recently found a poster I had bought for him, but forgot about, so I need to get that out to him.

This rumbled through the MKE area on its tour a few years ago- I got there in time to see it pass under the bridge I was on but wasn't able to see it when it was stopped- traffic was bad, so I was delayed.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Used to visit a site called Rail Videos but it's photos only (no videos).

A fond memory I have is a trip in 1980 or so, to Colorado with my dad, we rode the narrow gauge Durango-Silverton train through the canyon.

Where I live now less than a mile away the Los Angeles Times used to have a large printing plant with a rail spur, a couple times a month I'd hear the train horn when they'd deliver the huge rolls of paper.
The Times sold the building, it's now being remodeled into office space, and the tracks torn out.

The local carwash is gone too, next to it was a piece of the original rail line running from Fullerton to Newport Beach, long ago!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Used to visit a site called Rail Videos but it's photos only (no videos).

A fond memory I have is a trip in 1980 or so, to Colorado with my dad, we rode the narrow gauge Durango-Silverton train through the canyon.
Huge fan of DRG&W narrow gauge, thus my forum name, first rode the Silverton train in '76 along with the Cumbres & Toltec some years later. Great time capsules, both of them !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I can't say I'm a train buff, but I've ridden railroads more than I realize. As a kid, I was much more of an airplane buff, but to be honest, since the 1990s, air liners & airports have become crowded and unpleasant.

I've been on the Amtrak Northeast Regional (runs on the east coast between Boston and Washington) enough to know it's crowded and boring. Most of the views you see are the backsides of the worst slums of Baltimore, Philadelphia, Newark, and New York.

I once rode the Amtrak Auto Train to & from Florida. Once was enough. The passenger seats are much more comfortable than in airplanes, but sleeping overnight in them isn't good. Sleeping compartments are available, but cost quite a bit more.

In 2008, I took a 2-week trip to Alaska. Part of the travel (Fairbanks to Anchorage, with a 2-day stop at Denali National Park) was on the Alaska Railroad, in cars owned by the cruise line. The trip from Denali to Anchorage, about 8 hours, was excellent. The cars, 2-decks with full-length glass roof, gave great views. All the passenger seats were above, with kitchen, dining room, and bathrooms below.
1641833511807.jpeg

1641833760649.png

Here's an example of the view from inside the car.
1641833456905.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis