The JL Audio 8w6 MBM project

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Tonight was the first Cut for my next project. Included are pictures which tell part of the story

I found this guy selling the (2) 8w6 drivers for 100 total on craigslist.

The Sellers House

The Drivers

Knowing the quality of JL Audio drivers and the potential of the 7s I though they might make a great cheap sub project.

I started modeling.

The Model(where the idea was sort of born)

At first I thought I would use the drivers for subs, but then the idea dawned on me. Why not use them as MBMs? They model very well in a small sealed box for the MBM frequency and doing that would allow me to build one nice deep sub down the line. Besides my mains could use some help down low anyway.

Next move.

I designed this box for it

Ignore the cubic feet since 2" all around will go for rockwool and there will be plenty of red oak bracing.

Here is my cut list.

I will post picks of my tools and even some jimmy rigging for the Dust collection. Everything is up now.

Tools I've used so far.(included for your benefit)
Many of these tools I didn't know about until recently. I think having a list will help others plan for their projects and make life easier.
Box notes can calculate internal volume as well.
Item(Reason for use)

Craigslist(for finding the subs)
WinISD Alpha(for modeling internal volume)
HomeTheaterShack Enclosure calculator(for calculating box dimensions)
BoxNotes(For building a cut list)
Bosch CS10 7 1/4" Circular Saw w/DC attachment
Shop Vac for DC and cleanup.

Material used.
13 sheet Birch Ply(lighter and more rigid than MDF.)
Dow Blue Foam for supporting ply for cuts(Great way to rip plywood)
Skillsaw 60 tooth carbide tooth saw blade(High tooth count for plywood).
Masking tape(to reduce tearout on top of plywood.)

I hope by reading this those coming into this hobby can learn something.:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Update.

I've made the cuts for the panels. But my flush trim router bit burned up and ended up ruining one of the panels. Not a fun set back. But it reminds me to remind you folks of the importance of getting good bits. I was using a bosch bit so I'm surprised. I guess I will be getting a different bit now. A sad setback indeed.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm determined to get this project going again. So I'll be trying to fire it up this weekend if possible. I want to get my MBM's and sub built really badly.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Okay I've got a green light on this again. I'm trying out a some small sealed sonotubes to see how they sound. Lack of table saw and space make this the easiest option. The rockwool and sonotube are on their way so a weekend build may be possible. This experiment is a trial run for the TC Sounds sonosub I want to build.

drivers

I'm excited to say the least. I've had no sub for a month and it will be nice to get something below 100hz.

We'll see how it goes. I will take pictures of the build progress etc.

I've ordered the 14" tube from whitecap and the rockwool from ata-acoustics.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
can't wait to see the finished product, keep the pics coming.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

So I got the drivers out of the old closet. As you can see they are old school, but still that nice JL Audio quality.

The sonotube came from whitecap as expected the shipping was tough on it though. I think I'll look harder locally next time.

This came just fine from ATA acoustics. I got the light flexible bat since I need to make it form into a circle rather than glue it on a wall.

I got the tube cut in half. I'll take some further pictures when I get the chance. My plan now is to cut the interior discs and use those to flush down the tubes to a cleaner cut. Once that's done I can make the outer plates and braces. I still need to pick up some burlap to secure the wool, but other than that supplies are good to go. I used a hand saw to cut the tube down. It's a good workout. to say the least.

annunaki

annunaki

It looks as though your woofers were re-foamed at some point?

Keep us updated on your progress.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well I cut the tubes and my arms are burning. Let's just say I don't know about this plan now. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This project is back on. No sonotubes those where a disaster. I'll be using these as the 4th channel on my L-R 3-way build. Hoping to make some cuts tomorrow or maybe even this afternoon.

Will be in an 11.75 x 11 x 12.75 box for each.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh snap. Alex is gonna be pissed if he dies before this is finished :eek: :p

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
The next time someone says that my build is going to slow I am going to direct them to this thread :p

Much Love!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis