The great tower debate...please help!

B

Ben Larkins

Audiophyte
Hello, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I wanted to come here to ask some advice about purchasing tower speakers. My mancave is 25x13x8, carpeted and I have a $500 budget. I already have a great sub, etc, so I'm really just focusing on these three components.

I've narrrowed my choices down to these three (with their correspdonding center speaker)

Polk 75T
Pioneer FS-52
Infinity Primus P363

My Best Buy only has the Pioneer FS52's to listen to, and then some Klipsch, so I can't get a good frame of refrence.

I love how the Polk's and Primus looks, and as you can see my mancave is fairly large (rectangular) so I'd need something that will fill the space I believe. I like the center speaker for the Primus, as it seems to have more drivers so I would think would provide a better sound (I know I'm probably wrong on that). I loved the 4 huge woofers in the Polk and I'm not opposed to spending more on them if it's a wash between them and the Pioneers. When I listened to the Pioneer's at BB, they seemed to require more power, so wasn't sure if that will be an issue. However I don't want to go with something that costs more (Polk) and sounds worse than the Pioneers, which are $180/pair right now on amazon/bb/newegg. Just tired of pouring all of these hours into this. I know it's subjective but I'm just hoping to get some more clarity. Any help and guidance is appreciated!

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It's a long list because there's some really good stuff out there once you get above even $700 a pair. Perhaps wait a few more weeks (or months?) until Fluance gets their new towers straightened out, those will be a giant killer.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Ditto, figure on $750-1000 for a pair, go out and listen to things in that price range, come back with some of your likes and thoughts, and then we can possibly help with savings, either better deals or something that will sound similar at a better price.
Honestly, sound is to personal to just throw out names without a idea the qualities that you like in speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Define your "great sub". I've found great success in using bookshelf speakers (I have a 7.4 setup, a 5.2, and another 5.2 system currently, all using bookshelfs) with good subs and find the subs can definitely handle the bottom end, and do so better than towers with relatively small drivers ever will (plus you can place a sub properly whereas your mains are kinda stuck in one place). Only the very largest of full range floorstanders (which tend to be quite expensive) stand a chance against a good sub setup. IMO.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree completely that a capable sub with bookshelf speakers, especially at this price point, will definitely be the better choice vs towers.

Cross Polk right off your list. I've compared the Infinitys to the Pioneers (bookshelf) and kept the Pioneers (and now have the 52s). They are both good speakers. The Infinitys seemed more geared toward rock and less so with other things, where the Pioneers did equally well across the board. The room I have the 52s in is that large and the floorplan is open and they handle it fine by themselves with just 100W. The real downside with them is they aren't exactly winning any beauty contests.

$1K will definitely get you better sound, but I don't think it is 100% necessary. THAT depends on you. Did you like what you heard when you heard the Pioneers?

I'd recommend taking a look at Ascend Acoustics CMT340-SE with the pedestals. They're in your range and are also very good, probably a cut above all those listed. Again, not very pretty though, so we're getting into those trade-offs.

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

A blend between appearance and sound may be the Aperion Intimus line.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus

Last edited:
J

Jimmy Rowe

Audiophyte
I would recommend the ascend sierras at 750 a pair in that price range under 1000. If your going for 1000 dollar range then the new philharmonitors.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis