The difference between In-wall's?

Bodymechanic

Bodymechanic

Junior Audioholic
Ok, if you spend enough time reading forums, product reviews, searching manufacturer web sites, visiting your local retailers, etc.. You will surely find a massive array of in-wall, in-ceiling and even on-wall speakers with price ranges that are staggeringly different especially when you compare them on 'paper'.

I have personal experience listening to HTD's, PSB's, JBL's and KEF's. I've heard a few more of the cheap ones at Best Buy etc., but don't recall the brands at the moment. All-in-all they sound much closer than the price differences would suggest. I understand that they are each influenced by a multitude of factors such as ambient noises, amplification, cables/wires, room accoustics and so on and so on and so on...

Bass response is usually very anemic while the highs and mids can be very impressive and accurate. In certain examples I have even been impressed by the imaging created by of a pair of in-walls. :rolleyes:

Soooo..., having considered the aforementioned, how does one decide between one pair or the next? One thing I'm sure of is that there are diminishing returns as you climb the price ladder. My two cents anyway.

Best regards :)

QED

QED

Audioholic Intern
I've been searching & researching for a 5.1 in-wall setup for months now and have become increasingly frustrated that retailers within 50 miles or so have few or no in-walls installed for auditioning. (I live in northern New Jersey-not the middle of nowhere)

Most say "We'll have that setup in 6-12 months in our new bigger store, why don't you listen to these in-room speakers from the same manufacturer"

I'm not spending $5,000 US without hearing them and I don't think they'll take them back after they've been installed.

At this point I'm stuck waiting with a home theater 90% built in my basement.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi All
If you are looking for high-end performance chances are very slim that you will find it using a conventional in-wall from any manufacture.
High-end High performance in-walls are available from a few manufactures
Here is one that I like and use

Attachments

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Triad also makes some excellent (and not so cheap) in-wall speakers. But they won't put out the wall of sound like the RBH speakers that RLA posted.

QED

QED

Audioholic Intern
Any idea on price for the RBH SI-6100 you linked?

I can't find a price or even a dealer locator on RBHSOUND.COM

Bodymechanic

Bodymechanic

Junior Audioholic
RLA said:
Hi All
If you are looking for high-end performance chances are very slim that you will find it using a conventional in-wall from any manufacture.
High-end High performance in-walls are available from a few manufactures
Here is one that I like and use
I have looked at those RBH's you show but can't find any dealers or pricing. I have emailed RBH but no response yet. Any further info would be great.

Axiom will be releasing this line in mid-August:

"You asked for it: Axiom has developed on-wall/in-wall speakers for customers who do not want floorstanding or bookshelf speakers but still desire linear sound quality with no performance losses. Several years of Axiom research have produced an in-wall/on-wall hybrid speaker that combines a sleek look with simple installation. The new design avoids compromises by maintaining proper cabinet volume, sufficient cabinet spacing behind the woofer, and no diffraction problems from the front baffle. These speakers will be available this fall."

I can't link the picture, sorry :(
Kind regards

A

andremar

Audiophyte
What would you say about JBL HTI series? Are they good?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis