Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
One of the alltime great radio stations anywhere died an ignominious death this week changing to latin pop without notice. WHFS (Washington High Fidelity Stereo) hasn't been much for a while being owned by Infinity. But even in the recent years when it was trying to be alternative rock for the folks in their twenties they still put on a major rock festival in DC each summer.

In their heyday of the seventies and early eighties they were as good as radio got. No playlists, DJs with astounding knowledge who TAUGHT you about good new stuff rather than playing what surveys said you liked. Hour long sets. Fabulous segues. Commercial free Mondays. Ads looking for workers at the US Bong factory in Rockville (great benefits!). Although the audience was small, about 1% of the ratings, it accounted for 5% of the records purchased in the area which more than once helped keep the struggling station on the air. I used to leave the radio on all night because the overnight DJ Weasel was so good that there was a chance I would wake up and hear something incredible. This was my introduction as a teenager to Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, Little Feat, Van Morrison, Hot Tuna, Mose Allison, Taj Majal, Dexter Gordon et al rarely if ever heard on the more conventional stations of the day.

They haven't been so great the last twenty years when they sold to corporate owners, steadily going downhill. Some of the old Djs still play at WRNR in Annapolis but they lack the power to reach my home. Still check out 103.1 if you are passing through Maryland on I-95. It may be the last good commercial radio station in America.

RIP my old friend.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
We had the same thing happen here in Houston to Rock 101 KLOL. It was a rock station that played a mix of classic rock and new hard rock/metal. It was the only station in town that played Hard Rock in any form. Every other "Rock" stations play mild Pop Rock type songs and even mix in Rap every now and then. What a bunch of crap. KLOL was also transformed to Latin dance/rap music by Clear Channel.

I know this has been beat to death in forums, but music radio today had really gone down the tubes. If you like Top 40 bubblegum music and rap your in luck but if you like Hard Rock, forget about it. Of course there is always KUNTRY Muuuuusik but that's not really music! :eek:

I hate to spend money to listen to a radio but XM or Sirius are really looking good these days. I bought my mother an XM for Christmas and she loves it. I played with it for a while and found some great stations. My new truck has XM compatibility so I think I will bite the bullet and tryit out. To hell with traditional radio. :D

Shinerman

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Remember HFS well. Also remember that at 4 times a year, they co/sponsored a record convergence at one of the hotels around the beltway. Bought many pieces of vinyl at these. Haven't listened to them in a while, mostly CD's and DC101, or the classic station 94 I think (it's programed in so I don't know).

Remember the $#!+ hitting the fan when they tried to fire Epstein? (For those outside the Washington DC area, Epstein [forgot his first name] was a DJ with either epilepsy or MS or CP - anyway one of those conditions that would severely limit one ability to interact with people in a normal way. Couldn't talk well, probably drooled too. But he had the highest rated show in DC for several years [even when the Greaseman was good], knew more about music than anyone - even classical [think Bach and Brahms not Beatles], played the absolute most obscure cuts that no-one ever heard of the best music. And best of all, never anything from the European Big Hair Bands [flock of flying rats I mean seagulls, Duran dumba$$ etc..)

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Whfs - Rip

Mudcat said:
Remember the $#!+ hitting the fan when they tried to fire Epstein?
His name is Damian Einstein. He was severly injured in an auto or motorcycle accident, left with permanent brain damage. He managed to recover enough to come back as a DJ, but his speech has remained slurred, like a stroke victim. Before the station was sold some 15 years ago, his father was one of the owners.

Dan - I used to do the exact same thing with Weasel when he was the night shift DJ.

It is certainly sad how we have slowly lost most of the good FM radio stations.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I think I'll probably have satellite on the new ride I hope to get soon. The shift of Howard Stern to satellite is probably just the beginning of the end for it. When enough people catch on to it, the corporations will buy it up and ruin it just like FM. Maybe web radio can come back in some useful form.

By the way, Weasel is still around doing stuff at WARW on Saturday mornings and while the playlist is strictly commercial fossil rock he still has those great segues. Mudcat give WRNR 103.1 a try on your commute to Glen Burnie.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Radio is dead! Long live satellite!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis