The Complete Guide to High-End Audio

cgk

cgk

Junior Audioholic
Do any of you have familiarity with The Complete Guide to High-End Audio by Robert Harley. I borrowed it from the library this week and I'm wondering if it is worth a read.

Thanks!

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Its a fantastic reference. Everyone with an audio system should own one. I pull mine out on regular basis for info.

Some people I have spoken with are not fans of Robert Harley especially some engineers I know. But even they still believe its the best book out there to cover this hobby.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
That's an excellent book. I don't agree with everything in there but it's full of knowledge and certainly worth reading. If you're serious about high end sound you should read it. The more you know about a stereo system the better you can get it to sound, doesn't matter what components you're using. If you're going to buy gear then ask how to proportion your money if you don't already know. Speakers and location first, then room, the two most important things to getting good sound.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
cgk said:
Do any of you have familiarity with The Complete Guide to High-End Audio by Robert Harley. I borrowed it from the library this week and I'm wondering if it is worth a read.

Thanks!

Use it as kindling paper at your next BBQ.
Unless you are experfienced, you have no idea what is fact what is fiction and mnay confuse the two.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Gag. Harley is responsible for some of the most egregious misinformation about audio. He is a major proponent of snake oil. He is ignorant of anything beyond the merest basics of electronics that even a sharp high school hobbyist (or a middle aged liberal arts hobbyist like me) knows...but it doesn't stop him from writing crashing stupidities about it.

Save your money and read the Audioholics articles by Gene, Clint, Dan Banquer et al for free. And spend $12.95 for an unlimited subscription to The Audio Critic webzine

If you still feel the need for a book: I don't know if it's still in print but Howard Ferstler wrote a pretty good book along the same lines. Difference is he mostly knows what he's talking about. Do a search on Amazon.com.

And (ahem) a visit to my "Audio Wisdom" page wouldn't hurt! ;)

Last edited:
cgk

cgk

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input!

The only reason I picked up this book is because it looked inviting on the new book shelf at the library. The reviews on Amazon were mixed. I realized last night that it was trash when I turned to the section on cables. The author talks about getting bright interconnects to compensate for warm components and vise versa. (Or something like that.) It was then that I understood that he was a snake charmer!

I must admit that I have previously read and followed most of the links on the audio wisdom site and based upon that I have purchased not only the subscription, but also the back issues.

I find that over the past few months that I find myself coming back to audioholics over and over because it seems to offer the best advice and forums on the Internet.

Thanks,

Colin

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Rip Van Woofer said:
And (ahem) a visit to my "Audio Wisdom" page wouldn't hurt! ;)
Your web site is great. Hope you will stick around for a while, a long while :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

cgk said:
I find that over the past few months that I find myself coming back to audioholics over and over because it seems to offer the best advice and forums on the Internet.
Thanks, Colin

We think so too :D

I've been on the net for a while, not many web sites but this is the best so far. Not for the faint of hearts though :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis