That Sour and bitter drink

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Warlord
I love some good African Beans. I still have very fond memories when Blue Bottle, in the Ferry Building, was slinging single origin Sidamo from a 3-head Spring Piston machine.

When I was working at the cafe, they were using a Honey Process bean in one of the blends. I don't recall it's origin at this point, but it was nice and mellow... Less fermentation, thus sweeter; less acid. I don't know how widespread that process is, but it is considered much more eco friendly than the wet processing methods which can be very damaging.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Verve Buena Vista I drink regularly is roasted here in Santa Cruz. It is a Columbian and African Blend. Very mellow, despite being a dark roast, and basically never gets bitter. Beans are chocolate looking, not oily at all. It makes awesome cold brew too.

There's a local shop here called Devout and they have some dry process Guatemalan. They only do small batch based on availability and price, so they tend to come and go. I buy what I can while they put out something I like, which is often.

My absolute favorite coffee in the last few years I picked up at a little place called Waialua Coffee in Hawaii. It was natural process peaberry and it was amazing. I was bummed when it ran out because it is exorbitantly expensive to ship and thanks to Covid, going there to get some isn't really a good option either. Obviously, single origin.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Warlord
The Verve Buena Vista I drink regularly is roasted here in Santa Cruz. It is a Columbian and African Blend. Very mellow, despite being a dark roast, and basically never gets bitter. Beans are chocolate looking, not oily at all. It makes awesome cold brew too.

There's a local shop here called Devout and they have some dry process Guatemalan. They only do small batch based on availability and price, so they tend to come and go. I buy what I can while they put out something I like, which is often.

My absolute favorite coffee in the last few years I picked up at a little place called Waialua Coffee in Hawaii. It was natural process peaberry and it was amazing. I was bummed when it ran out because it is exorbitantly expensive to ship and thanks to Covid, going there to get some isn't really a good option either. Obviously, single origin.

You mentioned Verve before... Good stuff. I remember when they were still very young. One of the founders is the Brother of one of the Barista's (John) from that old Linden Alley Blue Bottle location I would frequent. John, Alex, Sarah, Joe Ellen, Ashley... an amazing group of Baristas and I've never had such consistently good coffee!
Whenever The Lady and I would visit our friends in Santa Cruz, though... Verve is where we went!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Was the Indonesian coffee from Sumatra? That's about all I drink and I don't get a dirt flavor, but sometimes, it's very chocolatey, the way I like my midrange. :)
I don't remember if it was Indonesian or Sumatran. It was a long time ago.

I do know that dark roasted coffee often uses dry-processed coffee from either of those places. It is said to have "leather like" or "pine like" flavors. Not my cup of coffee. It is possible that the dirt-like flavor gets lost as a result of dark roasting.

I like coffees that are medium roasted from Central America (mainly Guatemala), or East Africa (mainly Ethiopia or Kenya).

Coffee, the different types, origin, processing methods, roast levels, and ways of brewing are all a matter of personal preference. I know what I like, you know what you like, and we don't have to agree.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis