Thanks! ...two new, "simpler" questions!

C

CajunBadger

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks so much for your responses and I realized two things after posting.

1) I shouldn't skimp on the speakers and should perhaps look at spending more now on the receiver and the speakers. I can wait on the tv as prices will drop some and I can better decide on best fit when I have a larger room/house (plan on buying in the near future).

2) Way too many questions to start with - mostly overwhelmed and wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving out an important functionality or connectivity aspect.

My thinking now is I can either go with a $300 receiver now and buy a better one later, but do I need really need two receivers down the road? &nbsp;Why not just put that money towards a good mid-level receiver now. &nbsp;After some very preliminary checking, I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-V1400 or RX-V2400. &nbsp;The 1400 costs about $150 less but am still checking on what the differences are. &nbsp;I've seen good comments so far but wonder if anyone has any additional insights? &nbsp;Also wondering about using the Epicure 4's which are rated at 10-100w (http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epicure-4.htm) as fronts or perhaps have to put them as the rear surrounds?

Thanks again so much and will check out Consumer reports and the other forums too! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>Difference is a few watts and a third zone. Maybe some build quality, though I doubt it (haven't actually seen the 1400).</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Slightly bigger caps and a heavier transformer, apart from that, some more DSP modes, I still feel RXV-1400 is a fantastic value for money and if you need more power add an external amp like the Yamaha MX-1000/MX-1.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>After reading Rob's well-reasoned responses to your first post, I'm inclined to change my mind &amp; agree with him: spend less on the reciever (for now -- upgrade later) and more on the speakers. And yes, Monitor Audio makes great speakers from what I've read. Haven't had the pleasure of hearing them myself, tho.</font>

C

CajunBadger

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks again - it's great to get good insights!  Not minimizing anyone's response, but Rob definitely gave me some excellent ideas.  The Epicures are only rated up to 100w and besides not sure about a floor standing (or with a base) center would look or do.  Also would have to do some looking, but have heard that since they aren't produced anymore I could get a deal. &nbsp;One worry is that the woofers may be getting old and aging (at least the outer &quot;molding&quot;). &nbsp;May just do better putting them in the rear for now and go from there.

I will look at the RX-V1400 and figure that I can put the extra savings towards better speakers.  Will still do a bit more research just to prevent any thoughts of &quot;I could've gone with ... instead of ...,&quot; but sure am on a the road!

Much appreciated and y'all have a wonderful New Year!  I'm sure I will be posting more questions (but hopefully more directed as I learn on my own before asking too &quot;newbie-ish&quot; questions  
)  Of course I won't hesitate to ask when I've got a question - this is an excellent forum.

-- CajunBadger</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis