3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched this last night and I have to rewatch it. I missed lots of detail as I was tired before starting it. The video quality is amazing and the sound track is incredibly dynamic, one of the most dynamic discs I've ever played. Bass in this flick is a beast and will kick you in the chest again and again.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am really surprised by your comments on the audio, I have played around with it quite a bit, albiet on a much smaller setup due to my new speakers not arriving yet. I honestly thought it was one of the worst sound mixes in a movie to date, in regards to dialogue. Yes it has great bass, but the sound mixing makes it extremely difficult to hear conversations, i played it with closed captions.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I watched this last night and I have to rewatch it. I missed lots of detail as I was tired before starting it. The video quality is amazing and the sound track is incredibly dynamic, one of the most dynamic discs I've ever played. Bass in this flick is a beast and will kick you in the chest again and again.
I felt the bass when I went to theater to see it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am really surprised by your comments on the audio, I have played around with it quite a bit, albiet on a much smaller setup due to my new speakers not arriving yet. I honestly thought it was one of the worst sound mixes in a movie to date, in regards to dialogue. Yes it has great bass, but the sound mixing makes it extremely difficult to hear conversations, i played it with closed captions.
I wonder how much was due to this...

Clipping completely ruined Dunkirk for me. Even at -30 MV it sounded like my speakers were roached. Dumb...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats what I mean by dynamic. To hear the dialog, you had to play it louder than most movies and they did not roll back the loud parts. I too had to fiddle with the remote constantly. I didnt say it was clean. Just dynamic. I have to rewatch it as I missed lots of detail as I was tired. Maybe this time, I will watch it with Adaptive DRC on.

In a other forum, it was mentioned that the director is known to screw with the center channel mix and has done so with movies like Interstellar.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I felt about the same, dynamic scenes simply had the gain WAY up to absurd levels. The only scene that I thought it made scenes in was the gunfire in the concrete hallway toward the beginning of the movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s a bad movie!!!
Yeah, I am not impressed with this movie at all regarding any aspects, technical or creative.

Plot was confusing and nothing special. Soundmix was just loud and uneven. No Atmos or DTSX. Video was shot using ANALOG film, instead of 8K Digital cameras. Absolutely nothing special IMO.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
If you sit back and start to really think about the movie, it becomes more brilliant.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it upon initial viewing myself. I'm usually a big fan of Christopher Nolan movies. My initial gut reaction to this movie was a 6.5 or 7/10. After mulling it over for a few days, and having a few conversations about it with my son, I've since bumped it up to a solid 8/10.

I will admit that the sound mixing wasn't great, and some dialogue (particularly the opening scenes in the concert hall) were hard to decipher. Reminded me a bit of the way they handled Bane in The Dark Knight.

That aside, John David Washington and Robert Pattison were both excellent in that movie. That's actually the first time I've watched a movie with Pattison in it, in fact I didn't even know he was in it until he showed up on screen. I was very impressed with his acting abilities. He seems to have grown out of the typecast of those Twilight movies. Hopefully this bodes well for his portrayal of batman in the upcoming movie.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I liked the concept. The delivery, even from Nolan, was a mixed bag. I thought about it a for a few days too and came to the same result, too many issues. Least favorite Nolan film so far. It wasn't bad, it was just overly convoluted to the point of losing its idea. It has some good moments, some solid performances, but will not warrant another viewing. I read a review that actually said "Watching Tenet again will not help you understand it any more"

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've watched it 3 times now and picked up on something new every time. I think I could watch it 10 times and still not totally wrap my head around it.

I will say that things do start making more sense by the third act, but still... if you thought Inception was confusing, buckle up for this one, lol.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't find Inception confusing. This one felt unnecessarily complex.

I like Washington too, he was great in Blackkklansman; solid actor. Pattinson surprised with a good performance too, but I had already watched Lighthouse with Dafoe and found him to have a lot more than Twilight in him lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't find Inception confusing. This one felt unnecessarily complex.

I like Washington too, he was great in Blackkklansman; solid actor. Pattinson surprised with a good performance too, but I had already watched Lighthouse with Dafoe and found him to have a lot more than Twilight in him lol.
Pattinson surprised me too. He's hit and miss with me, but I really liked him in this. He really knocked it out of the park.

I've been seeing videos and reading about all kinds of grumblings and problems between him and the director of the Batman movie they're still working on. Pattinson refusing to work out for the role and being problematic. Allegedly... He just recently got caught boinking catwoman on the batmobile on set after they thought everyone had left, lol.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Pattinson surprised me too. He's hit and miss with me, but I really liked him in this. He really knocked it out of the park.

I've been seeing videos and reading about all kinds of grumblings and problems between him and the director of the Batman movie they're still working on. Pattinson refusing to work out for the role and being problematic. Allegedly... He just recently got caught boinking catwoman on the batmobile on set after they thought everyone had left, lol.
Say it isn't Zoe. :D

H

Huey645

Audioholic
What the heck did I just watch? I was interested in the story, it seems like a nice premise, but I was lost most of the time. I'll have to rewatch it to try and make sense out of it, but it was definitely a hard story to follow. Picture looked great on HBO Max, but agreed, the sound, especially dialog at times was hard to hear.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Same here. Tenet is what happens when you do a lot of drugs and play a Black Sabbath album backwards on the turntable.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I will note on the better equipment, a bad recording shows all of the warts in the recording. Oversampling can be averaged out, but it requires specific equipment to do it. A series of AHB2 amplifiers running in mono mode to drive each speaker coupled with an Anthem AVM 70 or 90 could get around it to a degree. The Benchmark AHB2 is the only THX qualified amplifier capable of removing artifacting and other noise giving a clean signal

and it also gets very high marks from Amirm over on his boards. The testing for that is here

Now given this, I am admitting I am drooling over the idea of putting in a DAC3 HGC coupled with one of the AHB2 for my computer system. But I have noticed as well my new MRX-740 is also very good at removing noise as well in the audio system. If you turn up your volume when no input is being played do you hear a hiss? If you do you have an audible noise floor that interacts with the audio. It is no mean feat to remove the hiss by lowering the noise floor. Lowered noise floor removes the artifacting from additive noise in the audio stream. This can impact audio clarity.

If your equipment is older, you might also be subject to capacitor degradation as well as resister degradation as well. Eventually that "wear" will show up also as artifacting. If you remove the two sources mentioned by proper selections, what you have left is the quality of the audio recording. Fixing that would require a remaster of the source material by a good audio engineer who knows what they are hearing and how to eliminate the issues involved.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Oh, to add to above, a very good amplifier can improve speaker output by removing artifacting. Very few amplifiers meet those standards. Look at Amirm's board to see this.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you sit back and start to really think about the movie, it becomes more brilliant.
Could you elaborate on the brilliance of this movie? :D

The reverse entropy part? The time travel part?

The physics part about the theory of relativity?

To me, this movie reads like a long boring essay. Many of us have taken physics classes back when we were in high school and college. So the physics part isn't new to us. But how Nolan tries to make the story more complex than it should be is just bad. Like an essay that is 10 pages long when it should be 2 pages long. Or computer program that is 2 pages long when it should be only 2 lines long. :D

BTW, I love "Interstellar" and thought Nolan did a good job mixing in the physics part. But he should have stopped right there. :D

Last edited:
H

Huey645

Audioholic
Same here. Tenet is what happens when you do a lot of drugs and play a Black Sabbath album backwards on the turntable.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Well obviously you weren't paying attention close enough, as it wouldn't be backwards, it would be inverted. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis