F

furyus

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>A gentleman drives by my house, within 100 yards or so, with a radio so powerful in his van his voice comes across my speakers with the system turned off... how is this possible?

Many thanks!
George</font>

P

pds

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Just a guess, but I suggest that when your receiver is turned off it is in a standby mode and still receiving electricity albeit much less than when it is operational.  I would bet that you would not hear the sound from the van if your receiver were unplugged from the wall.

Many strange things happen in electronics.  A few years ago I was making a tape recording of a vinyl record.  After the tape was made I was very surprised to hear myself and my wife talking on the tape.  Very odd, especially since my system did not have any microphones attached and I was making a direct copy from the disk.  Go figure!!!!</font>

<font color='#000080'>This Sunday I was sitting in church when suddenly I heard my baby son crying - OVER THE PA SYSTEM! Of course this was during the sermon wrap-up and prayer time.

As my wife was in the Mother's room, I was a bit perplexed. Looking behind me at the sound guys (of which I am one, but not that day) they also showed their confusion... All channels except the pastor's lavalier were apparently muted...

After the service (just a few minutes later) I went into the Mother's room and found, across the room, locked inside a wooden stand, a lavalier that had been on for about 2 weeks (so I heard, as apparently this happened last week as well, though I didn't hear it). Apparently, the lavalier was still able to send my son's voice out on the same channel as the pastor's mic for all to hear. I can only imagine the lav had some kind of battery-saving feature that was driven by volume input level.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis