B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Stereophile measurements of new Tekton speaker here:

Tekton Design Impact Measurements from Stereophile

Claimed sensitivity was/is highly exaggerated.

On-axis frequency response is pretty good, as is off-axis response in the horizontal direction.

Off-axis response in the vertical direction is a mess. Just how audible that is compared to more conventional designs is up for debate.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've never seen a speaker design that people so badly want to hate, but find themselves quite happy with it once it's in their possession.

It's the Nissan Juke of loudspeaker design. (We had a Juke 6-speed manual for a year or so, and it proved too small for a family car but boy was that ugly critter a hoot to drive!)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

On-axis frequency response is pretty good, as is off-axis response in the horizontal direction.

Off-axis response in the vertical direction is a mess. Just how audible that is compared to more conventional designs is up for debate.
The frequency responses are really very good. The vertical doesn't matter as much, in fact every upright MTM design will exhibit a similar vertical pattern. I liked what I heard when I listened to this speaker at Axpona, and now I can see why.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

I'm avoiding Stereophile until they remove that disgusting video from the link.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
The frequency responses are really very good. The vertical doesn't matter as much, in fact every upright MTM design will exhibit a similar vertical pattern. I liked what I heard when I listened to this speaker at Axpona, and now I can see why.
This speaker has even more suckouts than a typical MTM, due to its use of multiple tweeters.

While I agree that the vertical off-axis response is less important than the off-axis horizontal response, I don't think this speaker would fare well in Harman's spinorama measurements of sound power et al.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just avoid Stereophile for the most part. I'm also curious what video....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This speaker has even more suckouts than a typical MTM, due to its use of multiple tweeters.

While I agree that the vertical off-axis response is less important than the off-axis horizontal response, I don't think this speaker would fare well in Harman's spinorama measurements of sound power et al.
The tweeter grid doesn't seem to generate much worse lobing patterns than if there was a single tweeter. I don't think this speaker would be significantly worse than any other MTM in Harman's spinorama measurements. It looks to me like a pretty good MTM. I wouldn't mind having a pair.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Compare its vertical off-axis with this MTM:

Snell LCR XL MTM

The Snell has two primary suckouts in each direction: where the woofers outputs cancel, and again where the woofers cross over to the tweeter.

The Tekton has three primary suckouts in each direction: where the woofers outputs cancel, and again where the woofers cross over to the tweeter group, and again when those cross over to the central tweeter.

How much different/worse it would sound is certainly up for debate, though, as you've said.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Recalling a previous thread dealing with the KEF LS50, the Snell plots also demonstrate that not every peak in a frequency response plot is associated with ringing. The Snell tweeter, like many of its type, has a big peak at around 15 kHz. Yet the waterfall plot is very clean.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@lovinthehd it's some lame "character" piece, where a small kid that collects records (and I see that as deeply troubling in itslelf) visits Fremer and then Fremer gets yet another chance to prance around pretending he is this cool Sensei while, in fact, being a slimy prick.

Someone should tell that kid that if he ever suffers a brain stroke, that his cool Sensei will buy of his records from his mother for nickles while he watches and twitches strapped to a chair, as Fremer, by his own admition, does.

Such a lovely guy. I wish I could learn from him.:rolleyes:o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd it's some lame "character" piece, where a small kid that collects records (and I see that as deeply troubling in itslelf) visits Fremer and then Fremer gets yet another chance to prance around pretending he is this cool Sensei while, in fact, being a slimy prick.

Someone should tell that kid that if he ever suffers a brain stroke, that his cool Sensei will buy of his records from his mother for nickles while he watches and twitches strapped to a chair, as Fremer, by his own admition, does.

Such a lovely guy. I wish I could learn from him.:rolleyes:o_O
Thanks, yes I remember hearing about that now, thanks for helping me avoid the pain of watching it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis