Technics sa-eh760 getting hot hot hot

B

Bensco

Audiophyte
Hi I picked up an old technics sa-eh760, the amplifier is warm on the top and sides which I think is just fine, but ont the bottom in the corner it's red hot, I took the cover off and tge hot area is being caused by a component I'm not sure what it is or if it's supposed to get really hot, it's pcb with 3 transistors and a heatsink/clamp holding the transistors to the bottom case/chassis. The fact it's got a clamp holding it to the body says its supposed to get hot, but how hot?
It heats up even if there's no music playing, and cooks very fast when turned off, I'm guessing it's some kind of voltage regulator?
Any help would be great thanks Ben

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do you literally mean that the bottom of the amp is glowing red?
With the cover removed,can you see specifically which component is getting so hot?
I don't have the background to help you on this, but others will be along before long!
In the meantime, a photo of the glowing part(s) will help figure out what is happening and also stir a lot more interest!
But to answer your fundamental question, "No, it should not be getting red hot!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, perhaps an actual temperature reading would be a good thing....

B

Bensco

Audiophyte
Thanks guys, red hot was just a figure of speech unfortunately, glowing red would have been much more exciting, doing some more research and asking around, it is a set regulator transistors and do get very hot.
I might use some thermal paste and possibly improve the heatsink a bit

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis