Technics Hi-Fi - It could make a come back. The SE-R1 Amplifier

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Stunning to look at. As to how it performs I wouldn't have the faintest clue. This is very much in line with their hi-fi amplifiers of decades past in terms of appearance, but appears to be a whole other level of quality and engineering.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

"LAPC (Load Adaptive Phase Calibration)"

I wonder if that is a gimmick or if it actually does something useful. If it was useful imagine that integrated into the rest of the audio market.

Edit: It's amazing that a class-D amplifier weighs 119 pounds. I'm sure it could shed half that weight and still house all the same electronics.

EDIT EDIT: It also appears that the amplifier can be connected to their preamplifier via Ethernet cables for the left and right channels independently for a more complete connection or perfect pairing between the two.

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja

I wonder if that is a gimmick or if it actually does something useful. If it was useful imagine that integrated into the rest of the audio market.

Edit: It's amazing that a class-D amplifier weighs 119 pounds. I'm sure it could shed half that weight and still house all the same electronics.
It might have a steel plate installed in it to add weight. Some people view weight as an indicator of sound quality and this technique has been used in the past. At least it is sexy looking.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"The insulators are cast iron for high rigidity"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It might have a steel plate installed in it to add weight. Some people view weight as an indicator of sound quality and this technique has been used in the past. At least it is sexy looking.
The cutaway images indicate a massive R-Core transformer that apparently needs a lot of support.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So basically $20,000 for just the amplifier. It's neat, but it's not that neat.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
At 1200 British pounds, this is more realistic (but still very unlikely for me):

LOL, the article talks about how rushed they were! You can see where they did not wait to remove the machining marks from the panel and volume knob!
Kind of looks cool that way, but might tend to corrode/discolor over time if contamination got into the grooves.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Technics made some very nice equipment back in the 70s. Even my old Technics AVR G90 which I bought in the 90s seemed solid.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Technics made some very nice equipment back in the 70s. Even my old Technics AVR G90 which I bought in the 90s seemed solid.
This isn't the same company. It went under long ago. This is a high end manufacturer that bought the name.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This isn't the same company. It went under long ago. This is a high end manufacturer that bought the name.
Um... you're joking?

Panasonic Corporation, formerly Matsushita, has wholly owned Technics since the brand's creation. That is still true today.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here's the Technics SE-A1 from the 1970s. It's pretty clear where the inspiration for the SE-R1 came from.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

EDIT EDIT: It also appears that the amplifier can be connected to their preamplifier via Ethernet cables for the left and right channels independently for a more complete connection or perfect pairing between the two.
It is Class D, but it has a LINEAR PS. That's why it is large and heavy.

A very odd/rare design decision. Class D topology is more similar to SMPS than classic amp topologies like class A or B. So, when you build a class D amp, using SMPS does make more sense than linear---but I will personally choose linear over SMPS any time that performance is my end goal.

I heard this at RMAF2015---I guess as much as you "can" hear an amplifier. Anyway, when I went in the Technics room, the new towers were playing. They did sound good, but waaaaaay over priced (I think they were about $17K for the pair). I requested to hear the new BS speakers. They did sound good, but I also detected enough sibilance to take them off my list (even before I heard the $2K price tag).

Edit: As far as this amp is concerned, yeah my thoughts were "neat, but not even worth consideration at that price".

A

AJvR

Audiophyte
They got the looks right, when I get a chance to listen to them I will do so. I always liked the Technics products and I hope they will make a come back with respect to their history.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I'm more excited by the new turntables.

The rep at RMAF did indicate that it will be an audiophile TT as opposed to a DJ TT. But he also said it will come with a higher price tag...............

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I requested to hear the new BS speakers. They did sound good, but I also detected enough sibilance to take them off my list (even before I heard the $2K price tag).
I never expect perfection from Japanese speaker design. Sony has had some luck with their premier cost no object designs, but they're usually designed in Europe or USA.

Edit: As far as this amp is concerned, yeah my thoughts were "neat, but not even worth consideration at that price".
It's purely nostalgia that would drive anyone to buy one of these. I was doing some reading about the SE-A1 (msrp $6000) and it's coinciding preamplifier the SU-A2 (MSRP $8000) and they were unobtanium in the 1970s. With inflation that means they cost more than the amplifier they're offering now and even if you had the money you probably didn't get one because they never went into full production.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm probably gonna stir the pot with this statement, but for all of their ability to capture the electronics market, the Japanese have always had a difficult time in the speaker business. I thought Technics were some of the better values in Japanese speakers back in the late 70's, but it was US or European speaker companies that had my ear!
I'm sure there are some exceptions, but aside from the Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Jones, I can't remember a Japanese speaker being recommended on this forum.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis