Teach me about Vinyl!

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
OK troops. Now that I've graduated from table top mini-systems and boomboxes to some 'real' equipment, I think it might be time to hear what all that vinyl fuss is about. The problem is I don't know much about vinyl!

What I've got so far (and correct me if I'm wrong)

*Records come in 78, 33, and 45 RPM variations. 78's are mostly really old mono-stuff, and most turntables can play both 33 & 45's.
*Since my integrated amp (NAD C370) does not have a phono input, I will need to buy a phono preamp to use a turntable

Thats about it. If anybody has any links to vinyl FAQ, or beginner pages, let me know!

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
umm, don't waste your time and money. It's a dead format. Focus on DVD Audo and/or SACD.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Hmmm...what to say about vinyl. I'll give it a try:

1) Vinyl sucked.
2) It got replaced.
3) I don't miss it.

:p Was that helpful? :D

Okay, it mostly sucked. It can sound pretty good, best case, but takes a lot of money & work. Even then the records wear out, surface noise is a PITA, there's groove echo, sometimes pre-echo, sucky dynamics, poor S/N and other ills. Lots of guys swear by it, but vinyl sounds a bit mechanical to me. D'uh- it IS mechanical!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
OK troops. Now that I've graduated from table top mini-systems and boomboxes to some 'real' equipment, I think it might be time to hear what all that vinyl fuss is about. The problem is I don't know much about vinyl!

What I've got so far (and correct me if I'm wrong)

*Records come in 78, 33, and 45 RPM variations. 78's are mostly really old mono-stuff, and most turntables can play both 33 & 45's.
*Since my integrated amp (NAD C370) does not have a phono input, I will need to buy a phono preamp to use a turntable

Thats about it. If anybody has any links to vinyl FAQ, or beginner pages, let me know!

It is an issue of nostalgia of past era gear, nothing more. It certainly is not hi fidelity anymore. It certainly is not pressing much new stuff except a few to apppease the fringe audiophiles still into it.
It is a nightmare to set up, keep and maintain with every passing day getting worse.

You would indeed need a phono amp and the cable from the table to the phono amp needs to be picked carefully to the specs, based on capacitance.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

In the interest of fairness, I must admit I've heard very good sound from LPs, although not on any system I've owned. A fanatic can coax good sound from them, but I've never heard any 'table that I felt was competitive with a decent CD rig. Many of my compatriates at AC would castigate me for saying so, but I just never really cared for the sound of vinyl (a few guys there share my preference for digital). The amount of effort & expense needed to coax acceptable sound from vinyl is more than I care to commit.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of records (I ditched virtually all of mine a decade ago) then it may be well worth getting a good table. Many of my vinyl inclined friends are fond of Music Halls MMF-5 as it's a pretty decent 'table with a nice cart already supplied. A fellow AC'er actually copied a rare LP that I couldn't find on CD for me, and I'm thinking he used that exact table. The CD sounded mediocre, but that was far from a great LP, and the production was abysmal- the 'table was not the weak link. At any rate, you can get a nice Creek or CIA phono pre for a few hundred bucks.

I'll concede that LPs have a certain retro charm. I won't jump anyones case for diggin' vinyl, so long as they don't badmouth my digital! :cool:

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
The only stuff deep in the grooves is not music,

it's toe jam :p

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
If you are interested in vinyl you could do worse than a Music Hall MMF-2 $349 with cartridge. I also suggest An Alsop Orbitrac for initial LP cleaning and a Discwasher or equivilant for dusting of. Listen for yourself and make up your own mind about vinyl. The needledoctor.com can supply all of the above; total cost around $400. If you need a phono pre-amp add another $50 to $100. I realize it's not chump change but the Music Hall is the least expensive worthwile TT I know of. BTW stay away from direct drive TT's. The constant speed correction that servo's do does not help. I already owned close to 1000 LP's when CD was introduced so giving away or replacing them was out of the question. I am not anti CD as a now have roughly 800 of the little silver buggers. I have always taken good care of my vinyl and even the oldest is still quite playable and listenable.:cool:

Last edited:
M

MrKlister

Junior Audioholic
I second JoeE SP9. The Music Hall TT's are great and they already come with the cartridge installed.

To really get into the vinyl scene, look for a record show near you. You can pick up a lot of OK LP's for under $10 each. Of course you can also drop big numbers on rare LP's there too! Also, check out acousticsounds.com for new vinyl. A lot of current artists are releasing their new stuff on vinyl.

Have fun!

S

simplman63

Enthusiast
Vinyl

I third JoeE SP9. Music Hall is a great place to start. I would also add Acoustic Sounds online store. They have a great selection of equipment and music in any form you like. I just read a review in Stereophile mag about the new $270. table from ProJect complete with cartridge. The ProJect preamp is a very good one for the money, around $129.
I just got into Vinyl after completing what I think is a very good DVD-AUDIO and SACD set up. I just wanted to try it. I found a VERY nice Denon turntable in a rich folks nieghborhood for $10.00 (retailed new for $700.) and picked up a couple of good albums from Acoustic Sounds. Anthony Wilson Trio on 200gm 45rpm sounds incredible. Spacious, lifelike and warm. Eric Clapton's "Me and Mr. Johnson" is a real treat as well. the point is... while I love tha DVD-Audio and SACD over CD quality and for ease of use and price they are imposible to beat but, one more thing to enjoy for what one finds enjoyable about it is just one more of lifes pleasures.
go for it!

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
For anyone else who is interested in trying vinyl. Belt drive TT's sound better than direct drive. One thing that has been passed over is record care. The little silver discs don't require much in the way of maintanence. That is not the case with LP's. At minimum you need some form of washing system to initially clean an LP. You can wash them with dilute dish detergent but I recommend the Alsop Orbitrac. After initial cleaning, a wisk with a damp discwasher brush is usually sufficient when playing an LP. Replacing paper liners with vinyl or rice paper sleeves is also recommended. If you are really serious about cleaning your LP's you can purchase a vacuum cleaning device. Basic manual ones cost about $200. Elaborate automatic ones can cost more than $1K. By the way, new vinyl needs washing prior to the first play to remove the mold release residue from the surface.:cool:

Last edited:
M

MichaelB

Audiophyte
RR Ninja,

Let me preface this by saying I love my Adcom CD player and enjoy many aspects of CD/SACD replay (low maintenance, easy transportation of the software) but...............

I would echo other recent posters (not Rob or Mytrycraft) and suggest you consider entering the "vinyl" world for the following reasons:

1. Costs. While the initial invesment for a new turntable/phono pre-amp/record cleaning system is high compared to a $79.00 CD player at Best Buy, used vinyl albums covering music from the mid-1940's to the mid-1980's can often be found for under $3.00 (garage sales, thrift stores, EBAY). Compare that to buying a Beatles CD at Amazon for over $13.00. The cost of purchasing a vinyl album is usually much less that buying a CD, even a used CD, which can retail for $5.00-$8.00. If you only want 10 albums, not a big deal. But if you are passionate about a particular style of music, it could add up to significant savings.
If you are into mainly post-1990 music, stick with CD/SACD.

2. Sound. It is interesting in Rob's remarks that his comments go from:
a. "Vinyl Sucks"
b. "Mostly Sucks"
c. "Can sound pretty good"
d. "Can sound very good"

I respect him for being honest, but his responses illustrate that many people (not all) who dismiss vinyl have never heard a turntable better than Grandma's old Technics with a 30-year old cartridge. MMF, Rega, and Pro-ject make turntables that can provide very good sound for well under $500.00. Yes, vinyl can have pops, crackles, and skips. It was never a perfect format, but it can provide a great deal of musical enjoyment.

3. Maintenance. Yes, you should wash any record you purchase (2-4 minutes a record max) and make sure your cartridge is properly aligned. If you can add motor oil to your car you can wash a record. Cartridge alingment is usually done by the dealer who sold you the turntable- if they do not align it correctly, find a dealer who knows what they are doing.
These are issues I do not have to worry about when I play a CD, but they are hardly the stuff of a previous poster's "nightmare to maintain" remark.

There are many good websites for purchasing and discussing vinyl. AudioAdvisor.com, Elusive Disc.com, and AcousticSounds.com are all good sources of information.

Good luck, Michael

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Do you also disagree with my statement that the Musical Hall tables are a good place to start, MichealB?

Probably you didn't understand my posts; mostly I made the same points you did. Maybe you didn't really read them. At any rate, at least we agree with one thing: vinyl does range widely from "sucky", "really sucky", "okay" and "pretty damn good." (Naturally, CD has the same range, but in my experience if a CD will function at all, condition won't affect the sound perceptibly). But of course, as you also apparently agree, it takes work, TLC and some cash to coax good sound from them.

Whether or not you'll have a knowledgeable dealer at hand to set up your cart depends greatly upon where you live. If you live in the stix, like me ( :( ) you're pretty much SOL. You can set VTA, etc yourself, but it's not a peice of cake for the typical newb.

Your enjoyment of records will likely depend on what type of audiophool you are. Everyone has pet peeves- mine is noise. I can't stand it. Especially pops and ticks. That one area really reinforces the mechanical sound of vinyl for me. Yes, even on a very good table (what if my grandma had a Rega, smarty pants? Er, not that she did. I'm just saying, leave *-ma outta this).

As far as cleaning, I suggest that if you get into vinyl you try a Zero Stat gun. I think they you can still get 'em from AudioAdvisor. Cleaning with a liquid solution is a start, but often they'll still be charged and attract dust. A Z stat helps. Real wet cleaning is effective, but sometimes if you wet clean once you pretty much always will have to clean that record that way. With and washing, the dust & debris often is suspended in the water only to dry into a 'cement' that's pretty hard to get out. If you go with a vacuum cleaning machine you'll have no such problem, but you could buy 10 pair of KLH speakers at Best Buy (my very favorite bestest speaker brand, and the best place in the whole wide world to buy the bestest gear! Krako is great too, as you must well know) and still have room for a perfect $300 reciever for the cost of one of those bad boys.

I think I'd avoid many of the records made from the mid-early 70's to the early 80's. It was an era notorious for recycled (non virgin) vinyl and a lot of those platters sound nasty.

I stand by my opinion that it depends upon why you're contemplating buying a 'table. Simple novely? Curiousity? Economy? If the so, you can certainly get a cheap 'table, trying it out for awhile to see if you want to get deeper into analog. You'll probably be disappointed if you go with a cheap DJ Techniqs, though. I feel that a cheap CD player will sound much better than a cheap 'table. As you go up the ladder, you can get good sound from vinyl (but then the same applies to digital). There is a helluva lot of good wax in the world, and certainly it's cheap. (BTW, you're shopping for CDs in the wrong places. I don't spend that much for used discs very often. Try shopping in the same places you're getting cheap records. You'll often find cheap CDs there, too).

Anyway, sorry if humor is hard to track in print, MB. You may not have noticed, but my first post was partially in jest. I meant to reflect that vinyl has many pitfalls, and it's not for the faint of heart. I'm sure we can agree on one last thing; I'm not always as funny as I think I am. Gives me something to work on. ;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Check out Micheal Fremers site, Music Angle, for tons of vinyl info. Seems Mikey hasn't been keeping it current lately, but he's pretty much the High Priest of Vinyl. He also has links to the best places to buy new stuff on LP, if you're so inclined.

M

MichaelB

Audiophyte
Rob,
Actually I agree with many of your observations on vinyl and enjoyed your humor. I believe Music Hall is the distributor for MMF turntables so we may be talking about the same turntables (I will double check this- if not, you are correct, their line of turntables is good).
I concur that many vinyl albums were poorly mastered or pressed and this can impact the sound. I have a Kinks album (Village Green) that sounds as if the group were in another room while recording the music.
My main concern is that someone new to our hobby dismiss one relatively inexpensive format with 40 years of software readily available without hearing what the format is capable of producing.
Thanks for moderating an interesting site.
Michael

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

My smart-*** demeanor occasionally works against me. Er, okay- it often works against me. ;) But there's little worry of being "fired" as a mod, as I get no pay, and it's a thankless job. That gives me job security. :rolleyes:

Yes, the MMF is a Music Hall designation. My problems with vinyl are my problems- I just can't take the noise & groove echoe. But there's a lot of legacy material on 'wax slabs. My first decade or so was 45's & LPs, so I know of which I criticize! :p That one facet of LP life, combined with my cronic laziness, pretty much drives a stake through the heart of vinyl for me, buy younger & more ambitious guys can take up the banner where I dropped it. :D

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
Your enjoyment of records will likely depend on what type of audiophool you are. Everyone has pet peeves- mine is noise. I can't stand it. Especially pops and ticks. That one area really reinforces the mechanical sound of vinyl for me. Yes, even on a very good table (what if my grandma had a Rega, smarty pants? Er, not that she did. I'm just saying, leave *-ma outta this).
Interesting, I hate to admit it. but despite our differences, I actually share you hatred for those clicks and pops. About the only thing that drove me to CD is their promise of total background silence. At least none that can drive me crazy especially with classical music.

As far as cleaning, I suggest that if you get into vinyl you try a Zero Stat gun. I think they you can still get 'em from AudioAdvisor. Cleaning with a liquid solution is a start, but often they'll still be charged and attract dust. A Z stat helps. Real wet cleaning is effective, but sometimes if you wet clean once you pretty much always will have to clean that record that way. With and washing, the dust & debris often is suspended in the water only to dry into a 'cement' that's pretty hard to get out. If you go with a vacuum cleaning machine you'll have no such problem, but you could buy 10 pair of KLH speakers at Best Buy (my very favorite bestest speaker brand, and the best place in the whole wide world to buy the bestest gear! Krako is great too, as you must well know) and still have room for a perfect $300 reciever for the cost of one of those bad boys.
That reminds me of those good 'ol days when I spent more time cleaning records than listening to them. :D I almost hated to play one after using those expensive cleaning solutions for fear they'd develop another round of static to attract dirt. That's why towards the end, I had an open reel and then a 3-head cassette recorder. So I can immediately transfer my favourite grooves in their pristine condition to a media I could play more often

Talk about expensive, those Danish AM peel-off cleaning solution occupied more shefl space than my records. Each bottle was good for only 5 records. And I had to replace almost all those plastic inner sleeves with special polymer-like impregnated anti-static sleeves. There was a time I thought I can save be getting pre-owned vinyls. I ended up spending more on cleaning solutions. I think cummulatively, I spent more on maintenance than on my LP collection.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
av_phile said:
That reminds me of those good 'ol days when I spent more time cleaning records than listening to them. :D
You can make your own record cleaning solution, fill a clean gallon jug (preferably one that contained distilled water) with 3 quarts of de-ionized or distilled water. Add one quart of pure isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol that has oils and other ingredients that don't rinse well). Finally, add three or four drops of Kodak Photoflo (used in processing of film negatives). You should be able to get the water and alcohol at a drug store. The Photoflo is available at most camera stores.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis