Tannoy Jaguar Speaker Connectors

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I am getting a pair of Jaguars for free, they have been hanging there for 25 years and all I have to do is take them down. I am not familiar with pro speakers, what kind of speaker connector is that on the left? Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am getting a pair of Jaguars for free, they have been hanging there for 25 years and all I have to do is take them down. I am not familiar with pro speakers, what kind of speaker connector is that on the left? Thanks
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr30

/reeseherrmann/tannoyinputs.jpg
Your link does not work.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks, got it. Are these any good? Also I am getting 3 Perraux Power amps. They look massive, from around 1985.

First the connector. They are xlr balanced connectors. There is an input and an output for daisy chaining speakers.

An xlr connector is a lousy speaker connector, because the pins are too small and burn up. I think you can see burning on one of the pins.

There never has been a standard for speaker connections, despite numerous attempts. The best are Neutric speakers connectors. If you plan on using the speakers, then I would replace them with Neutric speaker connectors.

The Jaguars are part of the the Tannoy Wildcat series from 1984. I think those speakers were produced from 1984 through 1987.

The driver is a Tannoy 3809 Puma. This driver is a version of the Tannoy Gold 15" Dual concentric. It was designed for a relatively small cabinet.

These speakers were designed for sound reinforcement for bars, lounges etc, and for small band reinforcement.

As you can see the driver has a corrugated surround and yet will have to operate to the 1200 Hz range. So expect a very lumpy bumpy response from edge reflections and lots of cone break up. I would imagine F3 is somewhere around 60 Hz, but that is just a guess.

You can find out all about Tannoy vintage speakers on there website.

Unless you are planning to use these speakers for the application intended, then I would sell them.

There is a bloke on eBay trying to get $2,500 for a pair. He has interest with an off of $3000.00 including shipping.

If the cabinets are in poor shape, the drivers are worth about $750 a piece. So that was quite a gift.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
First the connector. They are xlr balanced connectors. There is an input and an output for daisy chaining speakers.

An xlr connector is a lousy speaker connector, because the pins are too small and burn up. I think you can see burning on one of the pins.

There never has been a standard for speaker connections, despite numerous attempts. The best are Neutric speakers connectors. If you plan on using the speakers, then I would replace them with Neutric speaker connectors.

The Jaguars are part of the the Tannoy Wildcat series from 1984. I think those speakers were produced from 1984 through 1987.

The driver is a Tannoy 3809 Puma. This driver is a version of the Tannoy Gold 15" Dual concentric. It was designed for a relatively small cabinet.

These speakers were designed for sound reinforcement for bars, lounges etc, and for small band reinforcement.

As you can see the driver has a corrugated surround and yet will have to operate to the 1200 Hz range. So expect a very lumpy bumpy response from edge reflections and lots of cone break up. I would imagine F3 is somewhere around 60 Hz, but that is just a guess.

You can find out all about Tannoy vintage speakers on there website.

Unless you are planning to use these speakers for the application intended, then I would sell them.

There is a bloke on eBay trying to get $2,500 for a pair. He has interest with an off of $3000.00 including shipping.

If the cabinets are in poor shape, the drivers are worth about $750 a piece. So that was quite a gift.
I am not going to keep them since I have no use for them, but I'll take them anyway. It's the Perreaux amps that interrest me more. That picture posted is not from actual speakers. The cabinets look like new, since they where mounted permanently in a club. I am sure I'll find some one who has a use for them. Maybe Alex, You know how he is when it comes to free. Thanks again for the info.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Listen to 'em before you sell 'em! You might find them to be way better than whatever you're using now. Judging by your signature picture, I can all-but guarantee that to be the case!

As for the connector, it looks like a standard-sized jack, so I'd swap out the XLR piece for a Speakon. That said, Monoprice sells 16AWG wire terminated with XLR, so if you want to keep them original, try those.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Listen to 'em before you sell 'em! You might find them to be way better than whatever you're using now. Judging by your signature picture, I can all-but guarantee that to be the case!
My speakers in my signature might be old, but they are not that bad. I did have them handcrafted In Conneticut.
Check them out index1

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
My speakers in my signature might be old, but they are not that bad. I did have them handcrafted In Conneticut.
Check them out index1
Age has nothing to do with it. I expect the Tannoys are older.

I base my assessment on one factor: power response.

But the old Tannoys, whatever flaws they may have, will throw a consistent pattern through the midrange because of the Dual Concentric driver. That means that some of their other flaws will be more amenable to EQ.

Speakers with flush-mounted tweeters (or, to put it another equally-accurate way, tweeters loaded on 180-deg waveguides) with midwoofers suffer from a "mushroom cloud" polar map in the midrange. The midwoofer narrows in directivity, and then when the tweeter comes it has no directivity control so it just sprays energy everywhere.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Age has nothing to do with it. I expect the Tannoys are older.

I base my assessment on one factor: power response.

But the old Tannoys, whatever flaws they may have, will throw a consistent pattern through the midrange because of the Dual Concentric driver. That means that some of their other flaws will be more amenable to EQ.

Speakers with flush-mounted tweeters (or, to put it another equally-accurate way, tweeters loaded on 180-deg waveguides) with midwoofers suffer from a "mushroom cloud" polar map in the midrange. The midwoofer narrows in directivity, and then when the tweeter comes it has no directivity control so it just sprays energy everywhere.
I am going to check them out first, before I off them, Maybe they are a keeper. Do you know anything about Professional Perreaux Power amps, which I am also getting?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am going to check them out first, before I off them, Maybe they are a keeper. Do you know anything about Professional Perreaux Power amps, which I am also getting?
Yes, they are a high end manufacturer from New Zealand. They are big and class A as a rule and make a lot of heat.

Mt friend Phil. had a complete Perraux rig, pre/amp, tone control unit and power amp. I thought they were severely over priced. I had to service these units over the years, and I thought construction and parts quality were poor. I had to replace a power transformer once, which was NLA, so I had to to a redesign retrofit, which actually was better then original.

I'm underwhelmed by that line.

For your interest here is the picture of the original miserable burnt out transformer, on top of my repair.

A close up of my repair.

As you can see the pots are very cheap and were perpetually noisy.

This rig fetched very good money on eBay. We photographed the unit to show that the repair was professional and not a bodge.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, they are a high end manufacturer from New Zealand. They are big and class A as a rule and make a lot of heat.

Mt friend Phil. had a complete Perraux rig, pre/amp, tone control unit and power amp. I thought they were severely over priced. I had to service these units over the years, and I thought construction and parts quality were poor. I had to replace a power transformer once, which was NLA, so I had to to a redesign retrofit, which actually was better then original.

I'm underwhelmed by that line.

For your interest here is the picture of the original miserable burnt out transformer, on top of my repair.

A close up of my repair.

As you can see the pots are very cheap and were perpetually noisy.

This rig fetched very good money on eBay. We photographed the unit to show that the repair was professional and not a bodge.
I am going to take them anyway, why not they are for free. They do look massive. There are also 6 Shure 105 (I think that's the model #) mono blocks, should I even bother with them?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am going to take them anyway, why not they are for free. They do look massive. There are also 6 Shure 105 (I think that's the model #) mono blocks, should I even bother with them?
You really have had a treasure trove.

I would keep the Perreaux are very good sounding amps. In fact they will be far better than any other amps you own. My only complaint is that when you get behind the surface heft and glitz, the component sourcing is not of the quality it should be.

DO NOT CHUCK OUT THOSE SHURE SR 105s. They are a wonderful bullet proof amp. I used and specked them extensively in the 70s for pro installations.

They were most commonly used in combination with the Shure SR 106 crossovers to biamp the Altec voice of the theater speakers in large Cinemas etc. So it took four of them for a pair of speakers. Are the Shure SR 106 crossovers that go with them there?

If you don't want those 105s please send them my way. I would be glad to check them out and restore them as required. They are old enough that they likely need some attention now. I would not fire them up, without them being on a Variac if they have not been used for a while.

I still have all the circuits and service manuals for those. Thrashing those would be like sending a classic car to the dump!

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You really have had a treasure trove.

I would keep the Perreaux are very good sounding amps. In fact they will be far better than any other amps you own. My only complaint is that when you get behind the surface heft and glitz, the component sourcing is not of the quality it should be.

DO NOT CHUCK OUT THOSE SHURE SR 105s. They are a wonderful bullet proof amp. I used and specked them extensively in the 70s for pro installations.

They were most commonly used in combination with the Shure SR 106 crossovers to biamp the Altec voice of the theater speakers in large Cinemas etc. So it took four of them for a pair of speakers. Are the Shure SR 106 crossovers that go with them there? They are all rack mounted, but are not what I would call in pristine condition. Might be a knob or two missing on them.

If you don't want those 105s please send them my way. I would be glad to check them out and restore them as required. They are old enough that they likely need some attention now. I would not fire them up, without them being on a Variac if they have not been used for a while.

I still have all the circuits and service manuals for those. Thrashing those would be like sending a classic car to the dump!
I do think there are crossovers in that rack. I might get in there today. It's an old Catskill Hotel where I used to work. Now the place is sold, as soon as the sale is closed all that stuff is mine. I'll take some pictures today and post them for you. Would the shipping cost be even worth it for these amps?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I do think there are crossovers in that rack. I might get in there today. It's an old Catskill Hotel where I used to work. Now the place is sold, as soon as the sale is closed all that stuff is mine. I'll take some pictures today and post them for you. Would the shipping cost be even worth it for these amps?
To me absolutely. I have a nice set of Altec 15" drivers I have had since new and repaired as required with genuine Altec parts. They are perfect.

I have a bunch of SR 106 crossovers around, but if those SR 106 crossovers are around I will take them to.

All I would need after that is to look for the Altec HF compression drivers and horns. The I would be able to put together a retro 1970s disco, with the classic West Coast Sound.

Your post has given me and idea. Our closest town is Laporte it is a very poor area. They actually have a nice bar not very old and a very nice husband and wife that run it.

I would offer the use of it to them, after putting it together for disco Karoke etc. It would likely help their business and be quite an attraction.

A bi-amped voice of the theater system is still a force to be reckoned with! I bet if I am patient I can find the HF horns, and then it would be a perfect retro system. It would be a fun project, and for me very nostalgic.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
To me absolutely. I have a nice set of Altec 15" drivers I have had since new and repaired as required with genuine Altec parts. They are perfect.

I have a bunch of SR 106 crossovers around, but if those SR 106 crossovers are around I will take them to.

All I would need after that is to look for the Altec HF compression drivers and horns. The I would be able to put together a retro 1970s disco, with the classic West Coast Sound.

Your post has given me and idea. Our closest town is Laporte it is a very poor area. They actually have a nice bar not very old and a very nice husband and wife that run it.

I would offer the use of it to them, after putting it together for disco Karoke etc. It would likely help their business and be quite an attraction.

A bi-amped voice of the theater system is still a force to be reckoned with! I bet if I am patient I can find the HF horns, and then it would be a perfect retro system. It would be a fun project, and for me very nostalgic.
Once I get them in my possesion, I'll let you know. You're welcome to them. Do you think the Perreaux amps are better than the Cinepro 3k6 which is what I am running now?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Once I get them in my possesion, I'll let you know. You're welcome to them. Do you think the Perreaux amps are better than the Cinepro 3k6 which is what I am running now?
I don't know the Cinepro, but I know the Perreaux are very good sounding amps. When I know the model number etc. I can give you a better answer.

Thank you very much by the way. Six SR 105s is quite find. I guess it ages me. There are probably not many of us left who know what that equipment is, or how to set it up.

The best way to preserve it is to put it to use.

I wonder what they were powering? The fact there are six suggests, there were movies shown, as even back then the Cinema Voice of the theater systems had a center channel, it least in the few really good places.

The optical system used even back in the 50s had three channels and so did the Ampex tape recorders. Robert Fine made his famous Mercury Living Presence recordings, with the cinema three tack optical recorders and some with three track tape.

Most of these have been remastered to three channel SACD, and I have quite a number. They are really good recordings from the 50s.

You know peoples first reaction to vintage gear is that it can't have been much good. Well people back then were not stupid and could produce far better results than a lot of the gear installed now.

I would love to know the history of the sound system in that hotel. It seems no expense was spared and they were using the best equipment of the time. I would really love to know what those amps were powering and why. I have a feeling that system really turned some heads.

If you have time please try and find out any history you can. It seems strange that such high end gear was in a hotel. For its time that installation must have been a fortune.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
No. Electronic audio parts are interchangeable commodities, and therefore boring to me.

Unless one of the amps is broken, you shouldn't hear any differences between them and your current Cinepro. And the Cinepro is probably better-built.

However, the name "Perreaux" sounds vaguely high-end, so I bet you could make some money flipping them.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Just a little update on my haul and I didn't even start yet cleaning up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis