Tannoy CMS 503ICT LP in-ceiling good for Atmos??

P

Paul441

Audiophyte
I currently have a pair of these in perfect, near-new condition and I'd like to use them for the Atmos height channels in a 5.2.2 setup I'm building in the basement. I know I have no issues with fit; however, I would be curious to know others' thoughts on whether these would work well or not. Here is a link to specs (note they are 16 ohms and remainder of speakers will be 8 ohms): https://www.whathifi.com/us/tannoy/cms-503ict-lp/overview

Thoughts?

Thanks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Those actually get recommended a lot on “another” forum. Lol. I think they’d be great.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I currently have a pair of these in perfect, near-new condition and I'd like to use them for the Atmos height channels in a 5.2.2 setup I'm building in the basement. I know I have no issues with fit; however, I would be curious to know others' thoughts on whether these would work well or not. Here is a link to specs (note they are 16 ohms and remainder of speakers will be 8 ohms): https://www.whathifi.com/us/tannoy/cms-503ict-lp/overview

Thoughts?

Thanks.
I think they would be just fine. Honestly a full ranger or coaxial driver is optimal. Most of these ceiling speakers are ghastly non nonsensical contraptions. I use good full rangers with great success. Tannoy are the inventors of the dual concentric speaker. They have been making them for 70 years! Unfortunately Tannoy now has Chinese owners and production moved from the UK to China. So who knows what will happen.

P

Paul441

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback. Any issues do you think driving the 16 ohm Tannoys with an Onkyo TX-NR777 with 110 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the feedback. Any issues do you think driving the 16 ohm Tannoys with an Onkyo TX-NR777 with 110 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)?
Not really. You will loose 3 db of sensitivity compared to 8 ohm speakers. They will be easier on your receiver.

P

Paul441

Audiophyte
Not really. You will loose 3 db of sensitivity compared to 8 ohm speakers. They will be easier on your receiver.
Great, thanks for the feedback. I have zero experience with 16 ohm speakers so this is reassuring :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis