System Set-Up HELP- I know nothing!

T

twoz

Audiophyte
Frankly, I dont know much about this audio stuff but I am trying. I have read numerous reviews as well as educational pieces and either everyone refers to the same cable differently or I am not getting it. Coaxial, component cables, digital this-that, HDMI, DVI, s-video, etc... I'm confused. I understand blue jean cables are highly recommended, however I am not certain what I need for cables and I dont trust anyone's opinion selling me anything. Please help. This is the set-up
TV: Hitachi 51f510 (RPTV) HDMI- I know I need a cable for HDMI. Is this connection for the HD cable box and/or the DVD player?
Comcast Digital HD Box
Receiver: Denon AVR-785S (7.1) Up conversion feature which I understand converts video/audio to the TV cutting down on cables? What cables do I need?
DVD Player: Sony DNS775- all function capability. What cables?
CD Player: Sony MegDisc Changer 400: What cables?
Klipsch reference: binding post- do I need any special speaker wires for binding post connections. Distance to surround will be 15ft. What gauge should I get, 12?
TV showed up yesterday and the rest will be coming next week. Are there cables that come with any components I will not need? I guess I should have thought this through. It is a fun project!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This might get you started.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php

Particularly the articles in the top left of the main page. Maybe then you could get a handle on the overall picture and perhaps narrow down the questions a little.

Oh, you needn't limit your reading to only these articles. There is a lot of interesting and useful stuff to be gleaned there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis