S

Show13

Audiophyte
I assume the answer to this question is simple. When I turn up my stereo too loud and the reciever reads "overload" and shuts off, what exactly am I overloading; the speakers, the wire, or the reciever?

And just in case you have to know the equipment to know the answer to this question, I am using 2 Klipsch F-1's, a Pioneer VSX-517-K, and 16-guage acoustic research speaker wire (1 about 4', and the other around 25').

I purposefully turned the music up to see how loud it would go before overloading so I would know my limits (probably not smart, but it's done now), just so you know.

Last edited:
Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
The component your overloading is the reciever. Your main speakers arent something that are hard to drive so that is not causing premature shutdown problems, Either you have the reciever in a cabinet and its getting way too hot at high volumes or your simply pushing it THAT loud that its causing it to shutdown.

Its also not the best reciever out there, and looking at its tech specs Im going to assume the power ratings are a bit optimistic. You should also just go through and double check all your speaker wire connections to make sure that there arent any stray wire strands shorting out.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
You may want to check those speaker cables as well. My friend had a reciever that was going into overload when driven to high volumes, and it turned out to be a rear surround cable with a short. He replaced it, and voila!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yep, swap out your cabling. It's the cheapest thing to trouble shoot first. Try a heavier gauge cable also. Is/Are the cable/s getting warm? A 25' run of 16 gauge? I dunno if that is adequate or not.

Is your receiver in an enclosure/cabinet? Is there adequate ventilation? Another cheap trouble shooting tip is to force air over the vents of the receiver with fan and see if there is any change in behavior due to keeping it cool.

Hope it helps,
J

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis