Syncing receivers for single source multiroom.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I have a yamaha rx-v2700 on my main entertainment system with a fire stick. For general music listening I use the firestick a good bit. I have an older yamaha rx-v3000 that I use for my patio speakers. I was trying to see if there is anything that will allow me to send the signal from the receiver with the firestick to the patio receiver. The receivers are mounted in spots where I can not find a way to run wires between the two units so I was hoping that there was something wireless that I could use to send and receive the signals.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
You could toss in something like a Sonos Connect, Yamaha WXC-50, or Denon Heos Link. You'd need a unit for each AVR. Just connect your TV's audio output to the device's input and voila. Just use the respective device's app to say what zones to output to and what input you want to use, like line-in. Double plus is that it will bring in some modern streaming features and eseentially make a de facto "whole home audio" setup using your old receivers!

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
You could also use a Chromecast Audio. They are cheap too.
Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that! At $35 a pop, it's a great way to easily add as many "zones" as you need.

Mine never seemed to control as reliably as my Sonos, but for the dirt cheap price of the Chromecast, I couldn't really complain.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just the thing I bought a couple of Chromecast Audio units for...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Yamaha Musiccast is nice (2.4Ghz band WiFi needs to be strong) but your receivers are the older generation so that isn’t built in. Also when you link receivers it turns off lip sync on the receivers so you have to use the musiccast app to re enable lip sync afterwards (you can’t do that from the regular remote). I find this glitch annoying.

The chromecast idea seems like a good option. I haven’t used it but the price is cheap.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that! At $35 a pop, it's a great way to easily add as many "zones" as you need.

Mine never seemed to control as reliably as my Sonos, but for the dirt cheap price of the Chromecast, I couldn't really complain.
I've got a Chromecast Audio sitting somewhere so I haven't used it much yet, but I liked it when I got it. $25 special was pretty sweet.

I do plan to attempt to use them as a pseudo whole house system, but if it doesn't work that well I'd like to try Sonos, but getting it to integrate into a current system isn't as clean (or cheap) as it should be. As a standalone solution it's supposed to be the best, but I don't really need a standalone solution. I've toyed with the idea of Chromecast enabled speakers in the few places I'd use them, but am not confident in how good they'd be.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
One thing that DOES score the cheap little CCA some major points for me was that it supports hi-res audio. I would stream it via Plex. Worked like a champ. Something I really wish Sonos would do, but oh well. I still prefer the Sonos all-in-one ecosystem, but of course it's 10x the price. Great product, but it really just depends on what your priorities and budget are. For us, it ultimately came down to ease of use for the entire family. For my hi-res audio, I just enjoy that stuff on more dedicated setups. Found I didn't really need that for outdoor patio listening or cooking in the kitchen, know what I mean?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis