Svs, Velodyne ..., Or Mirage???

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Thanks a lot guys, for all the inputs.

I've been informed that the MIRAGE S 12 is a real beast as well and at the same price range as the SVS, so I believe it's another excellent option.

Matter of fact, my budget shall not exceed $ 500 shipped, so I've narrowed my choices between the SVS (seems to be the real Mc Coy ) and the MIRAGE S 12 ( $ 400 shipped, at Vanns ).

Does anybody knows a bit more about this Canadian beast?

By the way, after carefully reading here the VELO DPS 10 review, I decided not to buy it anymore. It seems not to be in the same level as the SVS or HSU and most probably the MIRAGE.

It sounds pretty attractive to pay $ 400 shipped for a first class 12" woofer and that could be a big plus over the SVS (PB10-ISD).

Would appreciate to have some chime on this new baby.

Cheers / Avliner

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
You won't go wrong with either.

The PB10 has more output below 25Hz, but the Mirage puts out more output above 25Hz (but is no slouch below 25Hz). It will extend down to about 20 Hz at -3dB in a typical room

As you probably already know, the Mirage S12/Energy beat out the Outlaw LFM-1 (Hsu STF-3) in both linearity, extension, and output in objective measurements.

And if JohnnyCanuck chimes in and says it's crap like he did in another thread, don't listen to him. He has no idea.

The Mirage is slightly smaller, so you might find it easier to place.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Thanks a lot warpdrive.

Wow, I didn't know that the Mirage beated the Outlaw (HSU)...

By the way, do you (or anybody else) has some info about where I can find a review of the MIRAGE S 12?

As far as I could see, VANNS is having problems in delivering it on time; I mean, it may take about 2 months to get it and that's too much for me.
If the woofer is that good (sounds like), that's a real steal an no wonder why they ran out of stock so quickly...

Bottom line is that I've definetely made up my mind, so it will be either SVS or MIRAGE (sounds like the best bang for the buck, isn't it?).

By the way, thanks also for Johnny Canuck's advice ( I saw it in the other forum).

Will be in touch.
Avliner

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Tom Nousaine Measurements

Energy S12.3 Outlaw LFM-1
max -- 110db -- 108dB
20Hz -- 86.9dB -- 83dB
25Hz -- 105.7dB -- 97dB
32Hz -- 113dB -- 113.4dB
25-50Hz -- 109.5dB -- 107.7dB
29-113Hz +/-2.2dB -- 30-73Hz +/-2.0dB

Yes, the Mirage/Energy twins do beat out the LFM-1

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thats a DPS-12 review.. ;)

I heard the Energy S12.3 (Same deal as Mirage S12) but I was not setup idealy, IE; It was in a cabinet, and it uses down firing ports (thats a big No No).

I thought it was clean, and it definitely had the power to rumble as it was shaking a peice of wood beneath it that hides the wires.

Theres a review posted at Energy's website for the S12.3, but I don't know how credible it is.

I think you can't go wrong with either sub, but the SVS might have the upper hand in the sub 20Hz region.

SheepStar

D

df4801

Banned
If looking at velodyne,
you should look at the DLS4000 12" sub for around $430 with shipping.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
df4801 said:
If looking at velodyne,
you should look at the DLS4000 12" sub for around $430 with shipping.
That subwoofer is the same difference as the DPS-12 minus the remote. For the money, a PB-10ISD is a much better buy.

SheepStar

S

SKINNER

Junior Audioholic
I've picked up one of the Mirage S12 from Vann's and let me tell you, I couldn't be happier. Of course, I've never heard any of SVS's subs so I am completely biased, but this Mirage has output and clarity that rivals anything I've heard. I'm sorry I don't have technical specs, but you can rest assured I am thoroughly happy with my purchase (I'm actually thinking of getting another..hehehe)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis