SVS ultra system or Def Tech studio monitors (65+45+CS-8040HD+SR-8080BP)

A

adatrao

Audioholic Intern
Hi All
Need you inputs in deciding whether to go for SVS ultra system or Def Tech studio monitors (65+45+CS-8040HD+SR-8080BP).

1. Def Tech studio monitors (65+45+CS-8040HD+SR-8080BP) are as mentioned in $6,500 7.x Channel Recommended Home Theater System. Available only on order, local price is $2500 plus shipping which might be $300.
  2. SVS ultra system (http://www.svsound.com/systems/ultra-systems) $3700 package can be ordered for me by the dealer with 10% markup and 5 year warranty.Available only on order
Other options:

1. Got quote for Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 pair for $4350, Venere Centre - $800, Venere 1.5 with dedicated stands - $1750
  2. Have a deal on B&W 802D fronts, HTM2D centre, 805S surrounds including original floor stands and DB1 dual 12" subwoofer for $12000. 5 year old.
  3. Paradigm Package : Front : Prestige 75F, Center : Prestige 45C, Surround : Prestige 25S 5 Speakers set is $5800 and 7 Speakers set is $7500
  4. Martin Logan Package : Front : EM-ESL, Center : EM-C2, Surround : EM-FX2, 5 Speakers set is $4800 and 7 Speakers set is $5900
  5. Goldenear Package : Front : Triton Seven, Center : SuperCenter XL, Surround : Aon 3
    5 Speakers set is $3200 and 7 Speakers set is $4000

RBH/EMPtek will ship AH recommended models for additional fee of $1000 here (little expensive.). Dont know how warranty will work.

Presently have a Panasonic 65" plasma, Onkyo NR 818 and Oppo 103 D BDP Darbee edition. Ordered a SVS PB13- Ultra and will receive it in 2 weeks. Will upgrade the AV receiver later along with the 2 channel for music.

Room size - 2500 cubic feet.
50:50 music and movies.

To summarize I'm believing AH team ears and years of experience as i have very limited options for demo. Hope you can understand and support me to finalize.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I'm a DefTech guy so that's where I'll lean, but that means I like DefTech's sound, and that may be your bigger question, I will make a suggestion if you do decide on them.
Bajawaverunner in e-bay:

http://stores.ebay.com/baja-waverunner?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Sells DefTech referbs and has an excellent reputation within the DefTech crowd.

I would also alter your Center if you have the room for a vertical center or won't mind the look of a SM65 laying down, it's an MTM design so will perform properly and will give you an exact matching front three.

Baja's pricing: (Free Shipping)
3x SM65 - $260 ea.
2x SM45 - $130 ea.
2x SR8080BP - $225 ea.
Total for all - $1490.00

My recommendation anyway.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
From your list, the B&W 802s would be the most appealing to me. Of course, they are the most expensive. Still, really nice speakers, they do sound very good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Def Tech are least expensive option for you. I'll vote for them.

2nd choice would be GoldenEar package.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
All I can offer is that the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers is a very nice speaker.
If you are using a sub, the bookshelf would save some money and do a fine job filling your space with great sound.
The towers do make a visual statement, but shipping them isn't cheap (aside from the cost of buying them).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis